Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Consumer Reports? ugh

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jejb 
#1 ·
So, Not to ruffle feathers. I just bought a 2012 SL. and I love it...minus the Gas mileage, but that was expected and I knew that going into it. Well, as I researched and researched I came across Consumer Reports and it seems like they kill the Armada. It seems there biggest complaint aside from the Gas is that its kinda been the same looking and big and some other stuff I don't specifically remember... well In my opinion not a reason to give a car poor rating. (I know I'm not an expert)
It does say the "pros" are drive train and transmission. Am I missing something? Something relative to the masses. I'm sure there are Armadas that have had Big problems but every model of every car company at some point has had big issues right? I'm looking for maybe more than a 40% of a singular common issue Armadas have that would cause Consumer Reports to rate it the way.
(In all fairness I have no Idea of Consumer reports methods)
Thanks All
Cheers!

#2 ·
If I had read the CR report before I bought my Mada I would not have bought it. That said.., I'm glad I didn't read it. I've found later that I believe that CR is on the take as in somebody's hip pocket. They don't give a fair assesment of the Armada at all. I know that earlier Mada's had issues, namely the brakes but that has been totally remedied in 08 if I'm not mistaken.

CR is operating on old information, like from their first writeup. Sure the Mada hasn't changed much in exterior design but that could be a pluss, makes for a clasic IMO.

Anyway CR needs to come up to speed and do a current evaluation of the Mada. Most writeups from everyone always slam gas mileage on the Mada but what do you expect from a full sized gasoline SUV? Ignore the CR writeup and look at http://www.edmunds.com/ and see what folks that actually own them are saying about them.

#4 ·
Yea I was disappointed to see that the Armada rank the lowest for full size SUV. Some other cons on the Armada were the interior material was cheap and low grade and the vehicle handling was too soft compared to the competition, which I somewhat agree with. But I do not think that should make the Armada the lowest ranked SUV. The pros were the powerful engine, acceleration and decent towing capacity. I still love the Armada...the best looking SUV out there. Also I think the main concern for vehicle reviews nowadays is MPG.

#5 ·
The armada was on CR's recommended list the past few years, but has lost the ranking due to newer models and fuel efficiency. I will try to find some of my older magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#6 ·
i love mine. my wife said to put the armada back to stock and i can buy another car and she will drive the armada. i said no thanks. I said you can buy another car cuz Im happy with driving the armada. whether i get 8 mpg or 15 mpg. i happy with it right now. no change need, its rugged just the way i like it. see what happen with the acura TL with the change? it got ugly! SUV should be a family version of truck not a van. is Sport Utility Vehicle not Suburban Utility Van.

#7 ·
its kinda been the same looking and big and some other stuff I don't specifically remember
I rode Honda Gold Wings for about 25 years, it was rated the best touring motorcycle for many years. One year it was dropped to second place by motorcycle consumer news, their reason was, it was boring, to smooth, and reliable. So I don't give a lot of credit to reviews anymore. You van find good and bad ones on everything you buy.

#9 ·
Worth its weight in gold!!!

#10 ·
Guys, Great points on all accounts!! Thanks for your input, I love the Mada but it can always be a little unnerving when you just dropped some dime on a vehicle and then you start reading reviews that put small doubts in your head! My favorite response, I have to say was Consumer reports is good for Refrigerators and toasters.. LOL marctronixx.
Thanks again.

#12 ·
The Armada might have the worst gas mileage in its class, but it is simply the best full size SUV relative to the Tahoe/Yukon, Expedition, and Sequoia. None of the other vehicles except perhaps the Sequoia can match the overall performance, comfort, spaciousness, and quality of the Armada, and the Sequoia is flat out ugly in my opinion. I really wanted to like the Yukon/Tahoe and Expedition but their weak engines, cheap build quality, and handling left a lot to be desired (though the Expedition handles much better than the Tahoe/Yukon).

CR is a joke and has been for years. Like most companies that give opinions on products, watch where their hands are (taking cash from brands). Anyone that buys based on CR deserves whatever they get.

#13 · (Edited)
1st post here. Just bought a new Armada, despite the CR reports. I'm a LONG time CR subscriber, and they do not take money from any brand or advertisers. They are unique that way as they actually go out and anonymously purchase the vehicles they test from car dealers. So I do put some weight on their ratings, but usually not too much on their opinions. Having also been a Car and Driver subscriber for many years, I know that CR just does not review cars well in a lot of areas. They seem to always have a greenie slant to everything. And that's not where most folks heads are when buying large SUV's or sports cars. So I believe them for MPG and stuff like that, but not for their driving opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.