Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada GVWR

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  2K_15Armada 
#1 ·
I have been reading the forums as well as other sources trying to make sure I understand GVWR as it relates to towing with the Armada, I am not sure I did this correctly but here goes:

GVWR = 7300 lbs
Curb Weight = 5841 lbs
GVWR 7300 lbs - Curb Weight 5841 lbs = CCC 1459 lbs
CCC 1459 lbs - Trailer Tongue weight 717 lbs = remaining CCC 742 lbs

** If these calculations are correct then I am over GVWR by 79 lbs after adding passengers (no additional cargo).

*** I didn't include the weight of my hitch because I wasn't sure if I was supposed too, if I was supposed to then amount I am over increases to 157 lbs or 179 lbs depending on which hitch I use.

I am scratching my head because in reading and researching and seeing what people say they are towing and the weights they say they are towing I don't understand how anyone with more than two passengers can be towing without going over GVWR.

Am I understanding this correctly, and if so are people just accepting the fact that they are over GVWR and towing anyway?

See less See more
#2 ·
You are calculating this right. As far as the weight of your hitch, you need to include that in the tongue weight of your trailer.

What you are finding out is a limitation of all 1/2 ton SUVs and pickups. In order to max out on tow rating or tongue weight on any vehicle, you can't have any cargo or people in the tow vehicle. My TT is a lightweight; loaded, I'm under 5800 lbs. My tongue weight is about 650 lbs when full of propane. When my wife and two sons are in the car, I exceed GVWR by about 50 lbs. But, I'm way under max tow rating, max tongue weight, and GCWR. So, yes, I'm just accepting the fact that I'm over GVWR and towing anyway.

I'm really glad you're doing the research and the math. Too many people, both on this forum and on others, don't do what you're doing, and then justify why towing 9000 lbs with a 1000 lb tongue weight, with five passengers, bikes and kayaks on the roof, is okay.

I have a towing weight calculator in Excel that I got from a guy on www.rv.net. If you'd like a copy, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Keith

#3 ·
update:

I am considering a 3/4 ton pickup, specs are as follows:

GVWR = 9,200 lbs
Curb Weight = 5,960 lbs
GVWR 9,200 lbs - Curb Weight 5,960 lbs = CCC 3,240 lbs
CCC 3,240 lbs - Trailer Tongue weight 717 lbs - hitch weight 102 lbs = remaining CCC 2,421 lbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.