Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Steering Shimmy / Shake over Bumps

24K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  emower419 
#1 ·
:confused:Before I start into this project to correct I wanted to get some input and areas of known concern on these Titan / Armada Front ends.

Problem:
Over sharp bumps, potholes, rail road tracks, ect... I get a pretty sevear shimmy through the steering wheel.

I'm not so sure it is bad shocks because I don't have any other problems with a bouncy front end. To make it worse my drivers door rattle (bangs against the door jam at the top rear corner when the steering shimmys. Since this truck uses a Rack instead of Old School crappy Steering I don't see a need for a stablizer but it sure feels like it could use one.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
also make sure tires properly inflated.

#5 ·
Most probably you need new shocks, but sometimes a full 4 wheel drive alignment can also help.

#6 ·
Any vehicle with the modern macpherson strut setup like our armadas will always have some type of bump steer. The reason why this happens is because the ends of the steering arms move in a different arc/angle than the wheels when the suspension has to move up or down. Even worse when its a poorly designed suspension geometry mated with a poor set of shocks as what Nissan has done with our trucks.

Although bump steer cannot be eliminated with simple bolt-ons, these simple modifications can be done to lessen the effect. Simple mods such as upgrading the front shocks (i.e. Bilstein, Rancho XLs). Even if you stiffen up the front end by eliminating all rubber bushings, eyelets, etc. and replace them with urethane (i.e. Energy Suspension, Prothane) to reduce suspension travel, too stiff of a ride will have its own issues as well.

There are extreme measures that can be done to the suspension system but unless you plan on autocrossing with the armada, stick with the upgraded shocks and a proper 4-wheel alignment.

#8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I have narrowed it down to the right front corner. That side seems to be affected most when running over bumps and such. It's a rainy day today so I won't be digging into it this weekend but I will update when I figure out what is wrong.

#9 ·
I did install new shocks a while back. There was some inital inprovement. But, After Driving a few thousand miles and over some rough ground, it's still there. The sway bar bushings looks shot. I'm going to do those next. Front tires are cupping on the inside. So I'm thinking alignment might be the other factor. I"m also going to be fixing up the rear suspension as it is very harsh also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.