Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Jumpy transmission

87K views 156 replies 48 participants last post by  vastano 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed the transmission is a bit jumpy? I know I posted earlier on transmission question but this is different. When starting off the needle is jumping up and down and you certainly can feel it. Seems like a software update needs to be done. Anyone else?

#4 ·
Nope, not coasting. This is happening while I am accelerating. It hits about 2000 rpm and then jumps down to 1000 and then goes up and down between 1000 and 1500. I called my local dealer and they want me to do a test ride with a technician. Hope its nothing major and just a software adjustment.

#5 ·
Not sure about it being jumpy, I agree with needing a software update. I feel like its almost a combination of transmission signal for the cruise issue as well as detuning engine for 87 octane is affecting the engine's acceleration.

On mine, the transmission seems to be hunting for gears, REALLY bad if you are cruising between 40-60 mph in my case. It seems as the trans is in 7th gear and with any kind of light or part throttle, just to pass traffic of even to maintain speed, the RPM fluctuates and the SUV barely accelerates.

And then accelerating overall for mine just seems like the engine revs hesitates and don't climb linearly/smoothly as it should. You see the RPMs rev smoothly and SUV accelerate well for a couple hundred RPMs and then can feel the stall or lag and it'll pick up again.

#6 · (Edited)
We have the same issue. Light throttle, 1200rpm, transmission will bump and if you stay light on the throttle and let it malfunction, it will cause the check engine to flash (4 times?).

First trip to dealer they could not replicate it and no codes were stored. I'll be taking it back in soon.

They'd better figure it out, or we'll be trading it in on a Lexus. Made the jump to Nissan because the Armada was so promising.... regretting it already. Seriously, my wife loved it at first, now she says she basically hates it.

I'm not this irrational... My Titan xd has some driving issues, transmission and torque management, but im willing to work through them with Nissan. If they dont figure it out though, I'll be gone too.

I'm seriously disssapointed so far. The last 10yrs I was in a Toyota, and the last 8yrs she was in a Lexus. Only a couple minor issues that were taken care of immediately. (CD player and paint issue)
We've got seemingly bigger issues within a month of ownership with Nissan... Yikes!

#8 ·
I think your problem may be a bit different. I do not have the check engine light coming on. RPM's just jump around a bit in the 1000-1500 range. The power loss is rather annoying though.
Either way this thing needs some updating. Definitely not a smooth transmission.

#9 · (Edited)
That's good and bad news. LOL

We get the rpm jumping, and that was the first complaint from my wife...minor annoyance. Then, seemingly related, the trans will thump during that rpm fluctuation. If it does it enough, it'll flash the CEL.

We never drove the infinity. If we were looking in that price range, I would've been more interested in the Land Cruiser (Toyota fan boy). That's why I was really excited that Nissan brought the Patrol in as an Armada in the more competitive price point.
Apparently my searching before buying wasn't very good. I didn't see anyone talking about issues with the 7spd??

#10 ·
Grizzly5 I can confirm that I have experienced the same issue you are facing. It doesnt happen all the time though. I also feel the sudden loss of power for a few seconds and then I have to step on it to get the transmissions brain back. It is a rather annoying problem. Hopefully its just a software issue.

#12 ·
Grizzly,
I am having the same issue with the RPM jumping around and loss of power. (no CEL). Apparently the new gas Titan has the same engine and transmission and is having a similar problem. I wonder how we get Nissan to try produce a software update. Should we be taking our vehicles in an complaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Car is in the shop after CEL came on steady and was running in safe mode with significantly reduced power. Exhaust was very smelly, like unburnt fuel and it had a rough idle. They are saying ECM (engine control module), and it's on backorder. Could be 3 days, could be 3 weeks. Not happy.

#13 ·
I called the dealer today to make an appt to take a test drive with a tech, that is what they recommended. I asked if they have had any other complaints. He said no. As a matter of fact we have had several owners in for their first maintenance and couldn't be happier. Not really sure what will be accomplished by bringing it in. If others are having the same problem and it needs a software update, assuming nothing dealer can do until Nissan releases an update. I kind of think it is going to be a waste of time. It is annoying as hell though to lose the power when accelerating.

#14 ·
We picked up a loaner (Rogue) on Sunday, and the tech said that a '17 Titan came in the same day as us, with the same problem. If you have any issues, get it in asap! I am willing to bet the ECM issue will be a problem for quite a few people, and that means backorder on the part.

Our ECM is supposed to ship in a few days.

#16 ·
Fifth circle,

Now I think more about it. I have noticed a smell when the Armada does it. Like something burning. I have gone a few day with out a problem then it happened to me repetitively on the way home. No CEL thou. I am going to take it in and see what happens. If nothing happens I am going to make a complaint with Nissan consumer affairs. Please keep us posted.

Hali_hauler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Unfortunately, I think many of you will be disappointed with Nissan's response. If you haven't driven a Nissan 7sp, this is how they all operate and Nissan deems this to be normal behavior. I have an EX35 with the 7sp that does the same thing. No "fix" was ever issued. It's just how the transmission was designed. In fact, I find my Armada's shifting to be an improvement over the Infiniti.

Putting the transmission in toe mode seems to help some.

#20 ·
I am still trying to recreate the "jumpy transmission" issue consistently but have not been able to do so. So until I can do this i do not want to complain to Nissan as I think they will just blow me off. I really hope the issue is just getting use to how the transmission tries to use the highest gear possible. I have found if you do not have the power you want just press the gas pedal down further to get the transmission to down shift. If anyone else is having a issue please write a post.

#21 ·
That is one of the problems. When this happens, you lose power and if you press the pedal down, it doesn't move unless I really push down far.
It's like its stuck in a lower gear or something. That doesn't seem right to me. It pretty much happens to me everyday I drive it.

#22 ·
Grizzly 5,
What did the dealer say? Can you post a video of the issue. I have tried to record it on my vehicle but I can't seem to get my iPhone to record at the same time I have the issue. (I have been trying. ) That is why I am trying to be able to recreate the issue so I can show a tech but I can not recreate the issue on cue. It still occurs once and a while on my vehicle.

#24 ·
Just took the Armada in and went on a test drive with tech. Of course it didn't really happen while he was in the car. It happened a little bit so he was able to witness the behavior. He said he wanted to keep it so they could drive it and test things out. He did say that Nissan wants videos of these types of problems so that they can see the behavior. I guess we will see what happens. Hope they find something.

#27 ·
just heard from the dealer. They were able to replicate the problem. The tech also test drove the owners Armada as well as another in stock. Able to recreate on on 3. They called Nissan and Nissan is aware of the problem but do not yet have a fix. He said it would most likely be in the form of a software update. Also said it is not hurting anything, just annoying. So if anyone else is experiencing this, may be best to just wait until the software update is released. Glad to know that I am not going crazy

#29 ·
The more that take their car in, the faster Nissan will get a fix out. I would not recommend just waiting. At the very least, call your dealer and explain the problem. Then tell them about this thread...If they say the typical "haven't had a single complaint" and "we couldn't duplicate".

P.S. - still waiting on the ECM.

#30 ·
Does it stay consistent during a single journey?

With my old dealer, if i have issues like that, i would just try to get the SA/ Tech ride along rather than making an appointment and taking chances. Of course, this will require you to have some relationship with them in the first place.

Good luck tho!