Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

How to really clean a windshield?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  setforvb 
#1 · (Edited)
I have some fairly new oem wiper blades on my 2012 Armada which is new to me. The wipers work fine but I have this hazy film left on the outside of the windshield after each wiper stroke which causes some serious glare. Anyone have any suggestions or techniques that work on how to really clean it well to get rid of that haze? I just watched a video by Chris Fix on YouTube where on his corvette he used glass cleaner then hit it with a clay bar then put a layer of carnuba car wax over that. Seems like an interesting technique but I dunno.

Thanks
Cory
2012 Platinum
Annapolis MD

#2 · (Edited)
Apologies if this sounds too basic but...

My neighbor is a car detailer and he taught me the importance of "4 squareing" your microfiber towels.
Basically, microfiber does such a great job that after 1 swipe it has so much dirt on it that you don't want to use it again because it could just smear the grime around your windshield. So, you fold the microfiber into a square and with every wipe you changes sides of the square. Every wipe will remove grime and eventually it is all gone.

Another thing is, if you are struggling with some hazy film, towards the end of the job do a bunch of vertical wipes on the inside and horizontal wipes on the outside. Then check your work, if you can see vertical streaks your oily residue is on the inside.

Final thing I do is, I always clean the rubber on the wipers during car washes or during glass cleaning.

Using those three techniques, good microfibers and that foamy glass cleaner my glass is spotless.

good luck!

#3 ·
#4 ·
I use clay on the windshield once or twice per year. At regular car washes I use a plastic scrubby sponge on the windshield with the regular car wash soap and rinse. I've never used wax on the windshield.

Also clean off the wiper blades with the scrubby sponge. I got the good silicone blades a couple years ago and they are still going strong - worth the money.

I used Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner on the inside and sometimes the outside when needed.

I also got a bug deflector for the front of the hood soon after I got he Armada. It seems to cut down on the bug splatter.

#6 ·
So I did the following to the windshield : invisible glass with microfiber cloth, then clay bar, then invisible glass with microfiber cloth, then meguiars gold class carnuba wax and buffed off. Also cleaned the wiper blades. Certainly super clean and the rain beaded right off. I'll see how it holds up over the next few months.

Cory
Annapolis MD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.