Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine noise/Fan noise

35K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Biage 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2017 Armada Platinum with about 5000kms on it. I have noticed when i first start up the vehicle the radiator fan is really loud. Then after a few minutes of idling the fan noise goes away. Is this normal?

In addition to this after I drive my vehicle for a while and park and leave the engine running. I can hear a loud clicking noise of some sort. Not sure if its the radiator fan, engine, timing chain? Is this normal? The weather has been really cold lately -29C or so. I only started noticing it a few days ago.

I will take it to the dealer soon. I was hoping to get some feedback from some fellow members. Sorry if my questions are noobish.

Thanks

#3 ·
My QX80 does the same thing - loud fan at start up. There was a post here not that long ago that someone said it was "normal". My 2013 QX56 did not do the same thing but maybe they changed something in the engines when the did the small refresh in 2015? It doesn't bother me enough to look into further.

I can't say that I've heard the ticking noise but I'll keep a listen for it.

#4 · (Edited)
Does the 17 have a thermal fan clutch or is it electric? If thermal, then the article below may help explain. I know with mechanical/thermal fan clutch's on big V8's in the past, the initial noise was normal when starting a cold engine. It would quiet down after about 20 seconds when the fluid in clutch redistributes properly.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/Fan_Clutch_Operations_TS_6980012.pdf

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/Fan_Clutches_How_They_Work.pdf

#7 ·
Hi Guys,

I have recorded two videos.

First one is on first startup where the fan is really loud. Sounds like this is typical for all armadas:

https://youtu.be/r0tY9M4Ifzo

The second video is the clicking noise after driving the vehicle for a while:

https://youtu.be/TbMk70l0_o8

Not sure if the clicking noise should be this loud? Can anyone else confirm whether they have experienced this noise?

#8 ·
The clicking is NOT normal! You should have the vehicle checked out ASAP.

#12 ·
The first video does sound like mine. I think so.

The second video does sound like you do have a problem for sure. I hope they find out what is wrong with it and not tell you this is normal.

#15 ·
I took it to the dealer today and showed them the issue. They were booked up so they werent able to look at my car right away. Anyway they eventually looked at and pulled a classic "We werent able to reproduce the issue". Super annoying because i explained to them that they need to drive it for 10 mins or so and then they can hear it. Anyway will
be taking it in on Monday to another dealer. Totally sucks that i am having this issue so early into ownership.

#17 ·
Finally got the issue diagnosed after three days of leaving the vehicle with the dealer. The thermostatic clutch associated with the fan needs to be replaced. They said its going to take two weeks as this part is not available in canada. Very frustrating but at least they diagnosed the issue finally. They said its not an issue driving around with the vehicle. Will post an update in the new year once the part is replaced.

#18 ·
Looks like I now have this issue. Ticking started yesterday afternoon. So add this to the jumpy transmission, I can't say that I am overly thrilled spending well over 50K for a new Armada and the problems start popping up with under 3K miles. Elmatador, they told you it was ok to drive and wouldn't hurt anything? I had an appt scheduled for next week anyway for the transmission so not sure if I should just wait or get in sooner.

#19 ·
Grizzly5 sorry to hear. Yes, they told me it was no problem to drive. Hopefully they weren't giving me BS. I have been keeping a close eye on my engine temp. I would suggest you also make a recording just to show it to your dealer so that they know exactly what they are supposed to be looking for. Out of curiosity did you experience this problem first due to cold cold weather?

#25 ·
Fast idle high fan speeds at initial cold start up, are nothing out of the ordinary IMO. The bigger the vehicle, the bigger the motor, the bigger the fans and louder they will seem.

Now that clicking does sounds like something is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.