Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tires Feedback

57K views 64 replies 43 participants last post by  ehidle 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it'd be nice to have a thread for tires reference where we can read everyone's feedback on their likes and dislikes.

For sizes, we can run anything up to 325/60-18 & 33x12.5-18 and anything larger will require the Pinchweld Mod with anything less than a 4" lift kit. Keep in mind that this would be on stock wheels and when shopping aftermarket wheels, we need to be careful of the backspacing or these sizes will not fit. Also, you may want to watch the tire weight since most of us are driving the family hauler and weight seems to be the biggest MPG killer on the Armada/Titan reducing the diameter and rolling resistance to being hardly noticeable factors.

I have the Nitto TerrGrappler in 325/60-18 and I LOVE them but they are 60lbs/ea heavy and do hurt MPG's to about 12mpg daily.

Here's the ones I know of:

Long standing high ratings with members on here:
Michelin Crossterrain
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
Toyo Proxes - 285/60-18
Nitto Terra Grappler - Toyo Open Country A/T (both are same tire)
Toyo Open Country M/T

More recently received good feedback:
Toyo Open Country HT
Bridgestone Dueler H/L
Falken Ziex ST04 (avoid the ST01 for road noise at 10k miles, they get pretty loud)
Goodyear Silent Armor (still waiting for long term feedback)

Those are all I can remember.

See less See more
#2 ·
The one I'd love some feedback on is the Continental CrossContact 265/70/18. CrossContact has a 680 treadwear a Traction and B temperature rating as well as a 2,806 lb rating per tire...........

Not to be confused with the ContiTrac (often refered to as ContiCrap). These are rated at 520 A (traction) A (temp) and 2,640 lb per tire.

My biggest beef with the stock ContiTracic is the crappy tread wear. The new CrossContact is getting great reviews at tirerack, but I haven't seen any Armada owners.

#3 ·
Discount Tire is Awesome

I was on a budget and fortunately Discount Tire helped! They recommended their brand Road Huggers XRT 285/60-18's installed with certificates and TPMS rebuild for $550. They have a very aggressive looking uni-directional tire pattern.
So far I'm incredibly happy, ride and handling have improved greatly and they are much quieter. They look so good I wish I upgraded to 20's!

#14 ·
Well, with all this rain we've been having (on the East Coast) I can give you a quick up-date on how these Bridgstones did in the rain and standing water: Good traction and handling in the wet (submerged in some cases). Also I happily noticed that it does not feel as though some one is trying to ripp the steering wheel out of your hands when you hit standing water at highway speeds, as was the case with the stock contis. No issues with braking in the wet either - can't say that there is much difference in fuel ecconomy either, so far so good, no regrets. :) We'll be going on a longer trip soon, I will try to get a more accurate measure on fuel ecconomy.

#5 ·
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's

I have had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on my old truck and now on my Armada. Here are my opinions:

Pros:
- They grip MUCH better than the stock Contis in dry, rain, and snow. I used to spin the rear Contis when starting from a stop light in the rain, the Revos do not spin. Dry handling is also much better, and they are great in the snow.
- Aggressive tire pattern.
- Very long lasting.
- Bridgestone runs a promo about 2x per year where you get a rebate on a set of 4.
- They were very quiet INITIALLY.

Cons:
- As the tires have gotten older they have gotten progressively louder. I believe mine were feathered which may have been caused by balance / alignment issues.

The REVOs are great all around tires, but they do get noisy as they get older.

#6 ·
Getting loud is a pretty big Con in a family vehicle, IMO. My Terra Grapplers are still surprisingly quiet. I don't remember if I have 20k or 30k on them but my odo is reaching 55k miles now and I posted on here when I got them. I'll try to search and look it up later when I have time.

#8 ·
Pops - Why the Nitto's above others? Been reading reviews - most have great feedback - As of now, I am siding with the Terra Gs - Love the look also - any feedback would be appreciated

#9 ·
Well, so far, my wife cannot tell they're on there instead of the OEM Conti's when riding, the traction is really great onroad and surprisingly better offroad, the tire wear lasts really well for an A/T, I have dug roofing nails and staples out of the tread w/o a single leak yet, tow capacity is good, and they look pretty nice.

#10 ·
Thx for the info - exactly what I am looking for

#12 ·
The only experience I have with BFG was a set of Radial T/A on my Camaro and a set of All-Terrain T/A that I had on my Durango. I didn't like either of them because they both seemed to wear down faster than some other tires would've. The All-Terrains were also terrible offroad here, not good in our clay here at all.

#13 ·
I had the All terrain T/A's as well (on my K-5 back when), were good on the highway but crappy in the dirt!

#15 ·
snow rain and dry...

After tons of research I bought a set of "General Grabbers" I was ROCK SOLID in the snow and ice during the utah winters, now that it is warm and dry I have no complaints. These are great tires for anyone who isn't looking for high performance, but looking for great all around tire in 4 season with killer traction.

Also feel good towing...

#16 ·
I was planning on purchasing Michelin Crossterrain tires this week. To my surprise I cannot find them anymore. They no longer show up in sizes for the Armada. On the Michelin website the largest they offer is a 265/60/18. I decided against the Revos because they tend to get loud and I primarily drive on the highway. I really am looking for a quiet tire, that I can get in a larger than stock size, that is agressive looking and is not too heavy as I worry about MPG. Any suggestions would be great. I am in Florida so snow is not a problem.

#18 ·
Thanks Pops

I just tried looking them up and the only two Toyo's I pull up are the Open Country HT and AT. The Open Country HT seems to be the replacement for the Proxes. I hate to spend $225 per tire for the new Michelin Lattitude when I don't see many people using them yet. I would love to get the Nitto Grapplers they look great but the family hauler needs to be practical.

#19 ·
I don't know anything about them but these Kumho look sweet: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=33255&counter=1&ar=60&rd=18&sw=false&cs=285

I wonder how well these BFG do too: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=38211&counter=1&ar=60&rd=18&sw=false&cs=285

The Hankook and Yokohama Geolander also have had good feedback. Avoid the Falken S/TZ-01, I put a set on wifey's Murano and they get really loud later.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/toggleShowingAllTireProducts.do?fcpr=&counter=1&fclr=&ar=60&fcsr=&fcs=false&rd=18&fcb=&sw=false&cs=285

#20 ·
Well I finally got rid of the stock Contis. Wow what a difference. I stayed with the stock size after much thought. I didn't want to affect mileage with a heavier tire. I ended up springing for the Michelin Lattitude Tour 265/70/18. I really wanted to pick up the General Grabber HTS but most of the shops here had them on back order in my size so I sprung for the Lattitudes.

Ride is great. I had them on the highway in the rain over concrete expansion and on pavement. They are much smoother and quieter than the stock contis. Better steering response. It has been raining for the past two days so there was plenty of water and I had no hydroplaning. They track really well. I paid $215.50 a piece mounted and balanced with Nitrogen fill. For all those near a Costco they have $70 coupon when you purchase 4.

I will post updates on any mileage +/- and how they wear.

#24 ·
Updates? Thinking about the Michelin Latitudes or Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls. My dad has the Dueler H/L on his Yukon XL. Easy driving, long lasting mileage. I may go with them since I can't find many good reviews with extensive mileage on them. I have the Firestone Destination LEs on the Armada right now, but I want something that'll last a bit longer than ~40k miles. Needless to say, the stock Contis were a JOKE! Cheap tire! I guess Nissan had to trim the budget somewhere!

#23 ·
I had those after the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos got too noisy and wore down too quickly. I hit a wet patch in the road at an intersection and slid for 10 feet.

I took advantage of the 30 day buy and try and got Revos again. The Destinations just did not work well in the rain on my Armada.

#22 ·
I installed four new Cooper Zeon LTZs in stock size for the 09 Armada. 275/60-20. It's winter here in Chicago so I will see how they work. The Michelins just didn't cut it in the ice and snow. These all-terrains should be better. They have a better load rating as well (119) so that should help in the towing and hauling arena as well.

bk

#25 · (Edited)
Hey Pops, I have been looking at the largest tire I can get on my stock suspension without a lift. I want a 3" lift, but I have a feeling that will be a few years down the road, after tires, Im sure. I see that you are running Nitto TerrGrappler in 325/60-18 (Im looking for that look, tires flush or 1-2" out of fender well), & from what I can see 305/60R-18 120S B seem to be the largest tire I can get for stock rims/suspension. I noticed in your OP that you say 325/60-18 is the largest we can run without mods & noticed in your pictures, when you first put your 325/60-18s on you also did a PRG lift, so just to make sure I understand correctly, you are saying that we can run the 325/60-18's on Factory rims without making any suspension mods or body lifts?
I was looking at your comments about after market rims & back spacing. So does this mean we cant run any backspacing?
Thanks

#27 ·
When we bought the car it had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's on it, but I was not impressed with how quickly they had worn. We replaced them with Michelin LTX A/T 2's and these have performed great in the wet Fall weather and snowy Winter here in Ohio.

A friend has these same tires on his Suburban and is at 80k on them and will easily make it over 100k.

Steven

#28 ·
We had Michelin LTX A/T2s on our Armada, but at 26k miles, the back two tires have lost all their tread (worn evenly!) despite having completed all maintenance, alignment checks & tire balance/rotations, etc. We're looking to replace these for our 2008 Armada LE. Plenty of snow & ice, but no off-road use. Best replacement tire recommendations?

#29 ·
i just ordered up a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18, should be here tomorrow !!! from what i got from this site, and other sites, the ride apparently is pretty quiet, and if you look at them, they look not too aggressive, like alot of the off roaders, but get the lob done in the weather !!! Ill post some pics tomorrow, or Saturday !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.