Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance mods help with towing?

15K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  E&J push'n wind 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed any performance mods to their Armada to increase hp / torque and did they help with towing? Things like Performance Chips for example.

#3 ·
Theres a lot of helpful info on this forum reg performance. (search it) A nice air box and exhaust system will help increase horse power. Superchips will also help...Im in the process of doing that to my mada. I plan on getting Injen Power Flow Cold Air Intake System through burtman http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=arm_injen_pwrflo. And then the exhaust...

Believe

#5 ·
The biggest mod is the larger, extended, finned, transmission pan. Without the bigger pan, you are pretty much limited to flat land towing. With the larger pan, coast to coast towing through the mountains is do-able. Exception being the El Cajon Pass Westbound. Towing a 4000 lb bass boat and trailer up the pass Westbound will heat even the deep pan fluid to the red line in winter at 45 mph. In summer bass boat towing to the Allegheny reservoir on NW Pa. From the South through the myriad af small hills will have the trans temp needle going up and down like a metronome, at 30 mph or less! If you unlock the converter in tow mode, it will pass some of the heat to the engine to get rid of, but it's still primarily only a flat land towing vehicle, at anything above a 3000 lb load.

#6 ·
I have towed my 5000lb+ trailer all over the western US, including many steep long grades at high altitude in high temperatures, and I've never seen my trans gauge budge. The key is to downshift manually, and never drive with the torque converter unlock. While the extended trans pan will obviously help (better cooling, more fluid is always a good thing), I disagree that it is mandatory if you are towing more than 3000lbs.

Keith

#7 ·
I've towed my 7,800 pound Open Range trailer over 20K miles in the last 12 months. All over the Smokies, Rockies and the plains in between. Mostly in 95+ temperatures. I have a bone stock 2013 Platinum Armada and have never had the first issue with it. Plenty of power and no temperature problems at all. Other than installing a clip on towing mirror to the pax side and upping the tire pressure to max I don't do anything but hook-up and go. I do manually select the gears and don't try to use the cruise control.

#8 ·
I am going on my first long haul camping trip and I am going to be going through some pretty good grades. I am towing a 26ft micro lite that weighs 4800lbs. Do you tow in fourth with tow mode? Once going up hill what do you drop down to? 2nd third? I am just concerned about tranny temp as I have had it go to the line right before the H mark. Anything will help.

#10 ·
What mikeutah said is the way I do it. I've been over some gnarly passes. I don't remember the pass names but the one on I-70 around Vail was a good one. I just got behind one of the slow moving 18 wheelers, turned on the flashers, dropped down to 2nd and sometimes 1st to keep the RPMs above 3,000 and eased up the pass. I think I was going like 10 MPH (maybe less) sometimes and it was pouring down rain at the time and I couldn't see anything but the 18 wheelers tail lights.

Temp gauges never moved. (maybe they're broken :))

Don't try to hurry or worry about the folks behind you. Take your time, drive your vehicle and let them drive their vehicles. If they don't like going slow they just have to figure a way to get around.

#11 ·
Hey all, I have been lurking for awhile, and have tried to find an answer.... I do not have the tow mode and tow a 5000# bay boat (total wt with boat, motor, fuel and trailer)

Question, do I need to change the gearing to the lower gears? I just brought the boat to Fl from TN. Towed the whole time in 4 did ok, 40-50 through the hills/mountains. Only time I had any issue was when I let the RPMs drop. But... I read ALOT today and know next time to drop to third, or keep my foot in it to keep the rpm's up. Man... RPM's drop, and that thing is a pig... RPM's up, and its a dream. Of course, towing in Fl. no issues (except fuel mileage hahahaha)

Thank you!

M

#12 ·
All Armadas have tow mode, but not all have the tow package. It is not easy to change to the lower gear ratio (3.36 instead of 2.94). It seems like you are doing OK with your current set up.

#13 ·
The trick is to keep the RPMs up there. I think most of the Armadas generate max torque around 3400-3500 RPM.

As far as I can tell, the tow/haul mode does nothing. I know folks say it changes the shift points but nobody seems to come up with anything more specific and as a driver I can't tell the difference. I use it but don't really know why.

#18 ·
I'm currently towing a 7000lb travel trailer for 3 weeks on a family vacation. This is my first time towing something this heavy for such long distances. Everything that's been stated is true. The Armada is a strong tow vehicle but you have to listen and be alert to the stress and strain of inclines. The only time my trans temp gauge went up was on long inclines in 110+ degree temps through the Badlands. I learned to keep the RPMs up between 3500-4000 and control your speed. I turned off the AC (put on recirc) on long inclines as well to keep engine power focused on pulling. No need to go superfast up hills - keep your speed within the power band and manually shift. People can drive around you. Safety and learning your vehicle is important. On the declines downshift and use engine braking to control speed and keep your brakes from overheating.

I weighed the entire rig on certified scales during the trip and we weighed in at a total of 13700lbs total. Basically a 1000 pounds shy of the max GCWR. Use a Weight Distributing Hitch for over 5000lbs and watch how your trailer is loaded. Tongue weight is also important. My rear end sags a little as I'm on original air suspension but suspension works to compensate. I also use an anti-sway.

btw... my 2009 LE has over 103,000 and runs all Amsoil synthetic fluids. I religiously maintain her. My family and I have new found respect for the towing capacity of the Armada. When setup and maintained properly it is a great long haul vacation and tow vehicle!

#19 ·
You guys using dry weights, or loaded weights when referring to your trailers? I'm looking at a 7800# dry camper. But I'm worried about pushing to capacity. I was planning to add the Firestone's to assist with bounce and give a little strain off the level bags, and then maybe buy a ProPride WDH/Sway. ($3k)

#20 ·
The one U R considering sounds like my TT. I've had mine for 11 years now and have towed it up and down the western US year after year. That said, I wouldn't recomend it. I do it out of necessity because I leaped B4 I looked. If I had the advice U will get on this forum B4 I bought I might have reconsidered. The Mada is a tow beast but everything has its limitations. If your dead set on this trailer, get at minimum a 3/4 ton truck. If U R not gonna do both a truck and trailer and U R gonna get just a trailer, get something that caps out at about 7K pounds. Trust me U will be happier. Just a thought from someone who's do'n what U R about to consider. I'm in the market for a 1 ton dually now that I'm able to afford one. I don't wanna do that again. Hopefully it'll be my last truck.

#21 ·
If you buy a 3/4 ton don't get the short box, trust me. If it's going to tow a trailer, do not buy the look of the short box, that long bed may look huge but it's worth it. There is a very good reason dually trucks are long beds (I'm not looking at you dodge mega cab dually)

Rkeefe43, I got an equalizer 4 point with travel trailer sale and I love it! I was ready to spend $650 on it, but i would not spend any more on a wdh, I don't know what all that extra money goes to.

#22 ·
I wouldn't have it any other way, long box for sure!

As far as hitch, I have the Hensley to help manage the BAT (big A trailer, the A is for awsome) I tow. B4 this trailer I used the Equalizer hitch with a completely different setup. The Hensley makes a HIGE difference. There is zero friction used in their mechanical sway control, it's done through tension and linkage. Go to their website and look at their demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.