Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2008 Armada - Looking to Buy

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  regdawg 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
New poster from Raleigh, NC. Currently in a 2005 Ford Explorer. I am looking at a 2008 Armada with 74,000 miles. Sticker price is $20,000.

I took a test drive today. Tranny shifted fine, engine felt good. All bells and whistles worked. 4x4 shifted in High just fine, no clunks, etc. I did not test 4 low. Brakes were good, new tires.

I looked underneath, no rust etc.

I plan on taking to a mechanic to have a quick look.

Any tips or suggestions to have mechanic check?? Any issues with these trucks around 75,000 miles??

Thanks all!!!

#2 ·
Check and listen for cracked manifolds. Listen for tapping at cold start-up, once it warms up the metal expands and you won't hear it.

#3 ·
Which Model is it, Platinum, Titanium ect.. Look for Air compressor leaks, any leaks, rust, cracks, Air vents for working correctly. I just came from a Expy, the Armada is a Bad arse and safe SUV. In our state the SUV/Truck market is High priced. Anything with less than 75K for under 20K is hard to find less than 5 years old. Welcome to the forum from NC.

#5 ·
Price sounds good to me for what I have found in NC. Yea try and beat them down as much as you can. You can always buy into a Extended warranty. New they start at $52,000 retail just looked at the 4x4 models the other day.

#8 ·
Holy springs, I been there a time or two, I live just north of Charlotte nc near Lake Norman. I see a few Armadas on local Nissan lots, we bought ours at a used Honda dealer as a certified car with warranty. There very nice Suv's.

#9 ·
Thx Richard. For the right price I can deliver it too :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 · (Edited)
I bought my 08 last year, you'll love it! Mine was also an SE but had all the upgrades. No 4x4 and Navi though. I love my Garmin anyway.

I did start hearing a squeek in the rear area when going over little bumps. I'm still trying to pinpoint.

#12 ·
MECHANIC UPDATE:

These are the issues my mechanic found.

1. Front Differential Pinion seal is leaking - replace
2. Serpentine Belt is dry and squeaky - replace
3. Battery terminals are corroded - MAY need to be replaced
4. Rear brakes have about 30% left
5. Front, left strut is starting to "sweat" - advised to watch closely
6. Power steering high pressure line is starting to "sweat" - also watch closely
7. Exhaust manifold has a little rust - but looks and sounds ok

This is from a trusted mechanic. Quoted approximately $1,500 for all repairs, which include going to Nissan dealer for some which he can not do.

When I went back to dealer, they lowered the price from $20,995 to $19,000. Offered me $7,000 for my 2005 Ford Explorer, so I would owe $12,000.

So, what do you guys think? Any of these issues something I would walk away from?

Thanks.

#13 ·
Have you thought about selling your explorer privately? Might get more for it. I was going to trade in my E320 but dealer low-balled me so kept it. Planning to put it on Craigslist when I decide to sell it.

#14 ·
KBB Suggested retail for that car is about $20K. Private Party in Very Good condition is a bit under $18K. $19K seems to be a fair price. Any kind of warranty being offered?

#17 ·
At least the costly ones. Might regret it later if it ends up costing you more than initially expected. Even if they raise the price a bit, it's peace of mind it got repaired.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.