Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Broken stud found when trying to install Chrome Nerf Side steps... How to Fix?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ilcitdream 
#1 ·
I received my chrome nerf side steps yesterday and was going to install them only to find that someone had broken the stud for the front driver side bracket. Has anyone else ran into this problem?I have read quite a few threads on titantalk, but nothing on here and and it seems that the titan OEM bolt and stud locations are different. I am not really wanting to weld the brackets to the body if I can get away with it... Thoughts?

#3 ·
I bought ones specific to the armada. The side steps are pretty generic that comes with only two brackets. Here is the pic of the snapped stud. I am thinking about about grinding it down and having a friend tack in an elevator bolt so I can still have enough bracing for it, even though the top stud really doesn't take too much load.

Attachments

#5 ·
I thought that as well, but after researching it more It seems they are actually pressed in with a powerful machine into the sheet metal. I will look again to see if that is the case, cause that would be much easier than having to grind it down and flush so that a new bolt can be welded to the sheet metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.