Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Time to Change Tranny Fluid

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I have an 08 with 68,000 miles and finally decided to change the tranny fluid myself. I could be long overdue, but I havent noticed any slipping, but i feel its time.
I have scoured the forum and read and re-read every thread regarding a tranny fluid drain fill, pan dorp etc. I have a few NOOB questions/concerns as I have never done this so please bear with me:

1. Fluid type: I am leaning towards oem nissan fluid, but there are 2 types, S and J. I have cal;le dteh dealership asking for a price and they decided to go back to J, well its like $12 a qt. What are you thoughts on this? At my mileage, is there another alternative that would not affect performance?

2. Drop Pan: If i drop the pan, how do I clean the inside? Am I using a cleaner (ie: degreaser, solvent), or do I just do a wipe down and then reinstall? I also plan to re-use the gasket if it doesnt look terrible.

3. Intervals for initial drain fill: Would it be adviseable to do the drop pan/clean and then fill...drive around and then re-do it? If so, how many miles in between and woudl you re-use fluid, or use all new?

Can someone please chime in? Additional advice is appreciated.
I am replacing my front and rear bushings when weather permits and so I am now in 'maintenance mode'...thinking of other things to do, and this is top on the list.

Thanks in advance brotheren.

See less See more
#3 ·
There is a terrific write up on here that'll answer several of your questions. Have you tried searching for "fluid change"?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
1. S replaced J. I think S is the same price.
2. Drop pan, wipe with lint free rag. I reused my gasket.
3. I dropped, I didn't redo until it's time again. I wouldn't reused oil.
Manual said to do it when the engine is hot/warm. Turn the engine on 10 mins, let cool for 10 mins then drain. Be careful it's still hot liquid. Fill and read when the engine is warm also.

sent from broken autoguide app.

#5 ·
I just changed my tranny fluid along with my differential fluid at 97K. What is the normal interval to change out the fluids again?

#6 ·
I also just changed my diff fluid and glad I did it was over filled and was "Burnt" from what I could tell I replaced with 75w140 penzoil synthetic.
Now i want to change my trans fluid and I am also curious as to what would be a good replacement fluid or to just stick with the oem stuff.

#7 ·
Trans fluid is usually 30k mile interval. I am overly cautious and change 10-20k miles. Rear diff around 10k then every 50k after that (i do 20k).

Fluids, I stick with oem (matic s) up to warranty then a good quality synthetic like amsoil. I know magnuson moss (sp) lets you use other fluids, but lawyers are expensive if they deny coverage.

#8 ·
I did a drain and refil with my Tranny (S Fluid) and replaced my differential with synthetic stuff all at 97K. Would it be safe to wait until maybe 120K to replace these again? I rarely tow anything at all.

#10 ·
Planning to do a drain/refill in a couple weeks, how many qts usually get drained? I forgot, need to order the fluid.

#12 ·
If you lift the passenger side of the vehicle up after draining you will get an additional 1.5 or more out. I get 6 quarts out of mine with a drain and fill.

#14 ·
Do you have the diagram of what plug drains the tranny fluid? The 1st time this was done I had my mechanic do it. I think I wanna do it myself this time as it appears really easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.