Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Noise from 4WD

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jpspaz 
#1 ·
Used my 4wd (4H) on the way home from work Wednesday night in about an inch or two of snow on untreated roads. I normally just put it in the Auto mode but figured what the heck. What I found was a noticeable noise and vibration when the truck was accelerating. It came on around 30 mph and was sort of like a hum with slight vibration from the front axle. As I got up to travel speed and leveled off, the noise quieted down until the tranny was under load again.

I know that the 4WD set up in this truck is not silky smooth technology but I felt it was louder than it should have been. On my 05 I could notice slightly more axle noise in 4H but this seemed worse. Comments?

#2 ·
Check your front diff oil and front shaft universals. I ran mine in auto for the last 50k and it only uses the front when torque loads dictate. Unless you routinely load it up, it won't use the front. The front diff vent tube comes up and clips on to the back side base of the air filter box. I changed my front diff fluid and found lotsa moisture-for no reason. The vent tube was clogged. As the front diff heats up and cools down, it breaths through the tube. Plug it up and you may get trace leaks at the drive shaft oil seal from pressure build up. And, it won't cook the moisture out under normal driving. Since the car has open diffs, you can turn the front shaft when parked. Turn it, and if it grinds, you can tell if it's the universals or gears.

#3 ·
I dropped it off Monday and they told me it was a front wheel bearing. I picked it up yesterday and haven't tested it out yet but will soon. I don't understand why I wouldn't hear it all the time because if the wheel is spinning the bearing should be spinning on the hub but who knows.

#4 ·
Tested out the 4WD a few days ago and the noise at 30 mph is gone but it still vibrates a lot in 4WD. Just seems more than normal. My wife's Lexus and my Ford Explorer at work are seamless and smooth. I expect the same from my Nissan that costs $10,000+ more than those vehicles.

#5 ·
My truck does not vibrate at all in 4WD, there is something not right with your truck.

#6 · (Edited)
I would think it should be smooth. I ran mine up to 90mph on wet roads in auto 4x4 this morning..smooth as silk. I think in 4hi the transfer case is full locked and front axles pull more so i would be afraid to try it.. vs auto pulling only when needed via wheel slip.. this suv will fly.. i got my f150 4x4 almost stuck in a snow field last week playing around..i had to fully pat the gas in 4x4 hi to get out..gotta say its been rock solid. Wouldnt expect any different from the armada if i needed it..

#7 ·
Sounds to me like they through a part at it. If your front wheel bearing was bad you would hear it in any t-case mode excluding 4LO. I do think 4HI might amplify it a little and definitely will feel a little different than auto since it is fully locked in. It might even give you the hum you indicated but should not vibrate through the wheel. How many miles?

#8 ·
36,000 miles. But its not a vibration in the steering wheel -- I can feel it in the floor. Basically, my left foot that's on the floor can feel the vibration when the front axle is spinning. That's all it is, but I still think it should be better. I hear that hum you mention as well.

#9 ·
I have this same problem occurring. Any idea on what the cause was?

First time I've used the 4WD on the new Armada, when putting it into 4WD it sounds find when not under acceleration. But when accelerating it feels like there is some noise, nothing huge, just not sounding smooth...like it's running rough. It's only when accelerating, I've owned a few Xterra's and none of them ran like this. I can also feel it in the floor though my feet while driving, it feels like a slight vibration. No issues in 2WD, seems like something with the front end.

I figure since it's a new Armada to me, 2012, I'd replace the fluids and start there. Any help would be appreciated.

#10 ·
After the bearing replacement I left it alone. I hate dealing with the dealership so I just left it as is. I honestly haven't run it in 4H in a long time. I have been using the awd instead. Overall I am not totally happy with this armada compared to my last one but I don't drive it much anymore. I have a third car now so the Armada sits in the garage 80% of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.