Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Any foglights that use the 9006 Low Beam Bulb?

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  sidgarza 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I got a good deal on an HID 8000k Conversion Kit. They are for the Low Beam so they are for the 9006 bulb. However it is the 35w HID kit and after I did some research later, I noticed they make 50watt and 55watt HID kits. It was an impulse buy and I did a couple of favors for the owner at the car audio shop and bought my JVC KW-NT800HDT Navigation from him so he cut me a deal.

The 50w and 55w HID Kits are more expensive, but I have read they are a bit brighter. I noticed I needed more and brighter lighting after a friend of mine and I went on the Red River, on the Oklahoma/Texas boarder line at night, and concluded I could use some more lighting. I also plan on getting a Bull Bar, hopefully a Bull Bar that allows you to install a winch and add a couple of lights on the Bull Bar and maybe add a light bar up top and put 4 Axillary lights on top.

So what I want to do is purchase an 50w or 55w HID Conversion kit for my headlights and use the 35w HID kit for my fog lights. My Armada did not come with fog lights unfortunately. I want to fit them in the factory fog light location. I prefer to find a set of fog lights without the bulbs, since I will be using the HID Conversion kit, but if I have to, then I have to.

I've searched and searched on the internet for a set of fog lights without the HID Conversion Kit, but haven't came up with anything.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, that is something I would want, but it doesn't say what kind of bulb it uses. I need it to use the 9006 Low Beam so that I can plug in my 35 watt HID Low Beam Kit into the socket. If it uses a fog light bulb, then the socket will be different.

I have found an endless amount of fog lights, but it never says what bulb it will take or what kind the stock fog light bulb is. I'm certain that the OEM and aftermarket fog lights don't take the factory low beam 9006 bulb and that's what I need. A fog light that has the 9006 socket.

I guess worse case scenario is that I can make the drive all the way back to the stereo shop and return it. The kit is perfectly fine and it's a Xenon kit, so it's a quality kit, I just want to go a different route.

When I do upgrade the headlights to HID, I want to get two kits, one for the low beam and one for the high beam. The guy at the stereo shop said that I wouldn't need to use my high beams again because the HID Kit for the low beams would be brighter than the factory high beams.

And in order for me to do both the low and high beams, I need to get a kit that will keep the low beams on while the high beams are engaged so that when I go to turn my high beams off, the low beams won't turn on. If that happens, I am left for several seconds with very little light before the low beam lights warm up.

#5 · (Edited)
I want to keep it simple, but like I said, I already have a nice Xenon 8000k HID Conversion Kit that I got at cost, so I want to utilize it for auxiliary lights. It's a 35 watt, 8000k kid which would be great for fog lights as they won't run nearly as hot as a 50 watt or a 55 watt HID Conversion kit, which is what I want to run for my low beams and high beams. I'm going to get the kit that makes the low beams stay on when the high beams are on, so that when you go from high beams to low beams, I won't have a delay for the low beams to warm up and get bright again, as I previously mentioned above in my last post.

I want alot of lighting for when I am out on the river in the middle of nowhere, at night, to light up where I am about to climb up on an incline.

Where does that mount to? The top? Front bumper? And when I say fog lights, I don't mean yellow fog lights, I am referring to them as auxiliary lights.

I ask, because I have plans to get a bull guard that has the capability to mount a winch to, so if this mounts to the front, then I will just mount Auxiliary lights to the Bull Bar.

I don't want a wrap around brush guard that wraps around the head lights. I want the bull guard style. I'd like to find more options as I want a skid plate and these do not have one. My first choice, looks like I can weld up a pretty hefty skid plate myself. I'd just need to find a 3/8" iron plate to weld to it. Then I'd be able to somehow fabricate the skid plate to go under my truck to protect the motor and go even further to to continue the plate for the transmission and the transfer case, possibly the driveshaft, but the drive shaft might just be overkill and would be alot of weight as I'd want to match the skid plate thickness to the thickness of the bull guard itself to weld it. Welding a piece two pieces of metal that are different thicknesses, is rather difficult to do as the thinner one will burn through or the weld on the thicker piece wouldn't be as strong if I'd try not to burn through the thinner metal.

My favorite is this one. Sucks that it's $810
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-winch-mount-grille-guard-p-4177.html

Then there are my two other choices, which has a significant price difference, but I don't know what the difference is. Only difference I see is a $280 price difference. I'm thinking the $495 one is black powder coated as it's notated, but it doesn't say what the finish is on the $775 is, so I am assuming it's chrome.

$775
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-stainless-steel-winch-mount-grill-guard-p-4779.html

$495
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-winch-mount-grillebrush-guard-p-4505.html

Ok, I went a bit off topic on my own thread.

#6 · (Edited)
Looks like you are a person who knows what he/she wants. :D So, you either want to fit 9006 base bulbs into 880 sockets or get yourself a pair of fog lamps that will support 9006 base bulbs and fit them into the factory fog light location. I guess either is possible although the former maybe much easier. It has been done before and its possible to do it again.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...19-modifed-880-fog-light-9006-9005-specs.html
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ligh...b-fit-9006-harness-increase-visibility-2.html

A little bit of patience, time and the correct reference can help you overcome this dilemma.
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/h27w|1-12v-27w-pg13~donsbulbs.html
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/9006.html

Now another option to consider would be to just purchase a pair of 880 8000k HID bulbs. They sell for less than $15/pair off amazon.As you already know, the HIDs consist of both ballast and bulb. The wattage you have provided is the wattage of the HID ballasts and not the bulb. The bulbs only determine the fitment and the colour of output. If you opt to buy new bulbs, you get to keep your expensive and robust ballasts and address the fitment issue at the same time. Those 9006 bulbs wont go to waste, because you can use them in the auxiliary lamp setup or as spares at some point.

Regarding the fog lamp assembly, I would recommend something of this sort:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Arma...ssan|Model:Armada&hash=item23262948d4&vxp=mtr

Definitely wouldn't recommend shelling out $300 at the dealer for this.

Now, the auxillary lamps on a front bumper guard. Yes, it can be done. Its only limited by your imagination, time and money. If I were you, I would get myself some roof lights.They can throw some light to where you are off to. :D

Be careful with those heavy front bumpers! The front might sag and you might need to install some heavier springs.

Also, why wouldnt you be able to have all three (lows+highs+fogs) on at the same time? I can have all of them on at the same time!

#7 ·
Also, why wouldnt you be able to have all three (lows+highs+fogs) on at the same time? I can have all of them on at the same time!
Money flow at the moment. It's something that is planned in the future.

#16 ·
Man I was looking for these but I couldnt find them any where so I ended up getting the oem ones. I love the fact that these are direct fitment and have a glass lens. But I like the price you paid not $150. :D

#18 ·
Yeah no kidding. Its just a projector lens with a plastic cover. But still I think these would have been great with my halos headlights.

Also I have been thinking about giving my projectors demon eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.