Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Rear sonar switch flashing when in reverse (08 SE)

24K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  Maxkamel 
#1 · (Edited)
So on top of my cruise control not working (waiting for part), my rear sonar has gone south. This is an 08 SE with front and rear sonar.

When I put the truck in reverse, the Sonar switch (to turn the front/rear off), starts flashing, indicating a problem with the rear part of the system. This is what the service manual says. Front sonar is working fine.

I did back into something a few weeks ago (not due to sensor not working), but the body shop already fixed me up. I'm 99% sure this was ok after the repairs and just started happening. I think I would have noticed the light flashing for the past 4 weeks had it been something they did, or didn't do. Maybe not though. Regardless, I need ti diagnose.

The dealer wants $95 to hook it up to the code reader, and from what I can tell looking at the service manual, you can't run manual diagnostics like you can on a vehicle with rear sonar only.

I read a lot of threads about people with an issue where a bad speaker would cause an issue, but those were not a front/rear system, so I don't want to assume that's my issue just yet.

Anyone else out there with this problem? I know the local auto parts store will read codes for you for free, but I'm not sure if this is something they can do, given the truck having that CAN network.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
From what you are saying, the unit is bad. This is a common problem with the sonars.

This happened to my Maxima. I read all those threads online. I went and bought a replacement speaker from RadioShack and re-installed it myself. The current sound is not as high pitched as the oem one was. But I got this one for I think about $15, as opposed to about $45-$50 for oem. It works just fine. But I wish I hadn't cheaped out. I would have preferred oem.

#3 ·
Are you saying the sonar control module is bad, or you think just the speaker is bad? I think I can test continuity on the speaker if I get to it. It's up in the headliner near the light on a front/rear setup.

#4 ·
Oh yes, I think the module is bad. That is what was bad for my Maxima.

#6 ·
It is one piece. For mine, there is no way to have a bad main module and say a good rear speaker. When I was backing up, my Maxima would not beep anymore. I had to change the piece.

Well, now that I think of what you say, I think what I changed was the speaker. So, I guess you can say only my speaker was bad.

But do some more research and narrow it down to see what piece you need to change. I changed the speaker. under the steering column. For the Armada/Titan, I think it is above the dashboard, close to the windshield.

#7 ·
Thanks, but it sounds like the Aramda and Maxima are set up different. On an Armada with front and rear, there is a speaker up above the gauges for the front sonar, an a speaker in the headliner in the rear, right where the hatch light is, for the rear sonar. And there is one control module for the whole system. What I'd like to do is better figure out what's wrong before just buying parts. There's a lot less info out there for sonar problems with newer Armadas compared to pre 2008. So it's hard to find info.

Thanks a million though for helping. Hopefully I can figure this out.

#8 ·
I'm wondering if you could pick up a small, cheap (less than $5) speaker at Radio Shack, wire it in where the existing speaker is, and see if the system works. If it does, you can get the actual replacement speaker (or, just duct-tape the temporary to the headliner!!).

#9 ·
I was thinking that exact same thing. I just have to figure out the best way to get out the speaker. I wonder if I just remove the plastic trim where the light is if it's right there.

#10 ·
I've seen these before working on a body lift on a tundra since you took it to a body shop check the wires on each harness of each sensor one of them has a bad connection if the front ones work but the rear don't or flashes then you have a bad sensor or connection I beat its a bad connection

#11 ·
Got the speaker out. I was able to get at it by just removing the small plastic piece where the light is. It clips in with push clips. Not too bad once I realized how it was installed. It seems to test ok. I have contunity across the pins. Darn. Was hoping for the easy fix. So it likely is one of the sensors,but from what I can tell, I have to remove the bumper to get them out. I can only get at one from underneath...any ideas or tips? Am I missing something?

Reactions: Maxkamel
#12 ·
Hmmm. Not so fast. On my digital multimeter, I get a reading of about 50ohms and no beep when testing the speaker...wouldn't continuity, if there, be close to 0 and it should beep I would imagine...

#13 ·
If you put 12 v to the speaker, it should beep. Not sure how many ohms you should get when measuring continuity across a speaker, 50 ohms might be correct.

Another test to run would be to measure voltage across the circuit without the speaker in it, then activate the system and see if the voltage changes. I'd guess you should get 0 Volts until the system is triggered, then you'd get 12.

#14 · (Edited)
I went out and bought the little radio shack speaker. Didn't fix it, but I'm not sure that speaker will work on the post 2008 Armadas. All the threads I saw had it as a fix in pre 2008 trucks. Then again, perhaps the error code has to be reset or something, but I got a very faint beeping out of it, all the time, regardless of gear selector status.

I did test voltage though. With truck in reverse, about 11.5volts. Weird though, as I expected red to be positive, and blue to be negative. As such, it was -11.5V. Weird. And then 0 when not in reverse. The service manual says speaker should just "have continuity". I guess I have it, at 50 ohms or so.

I'm not sure if it's the speaker or not, but it's a bit of a needle in a haystack. Doesn't seem as common on the newer ones, and I hate to pull the bumper to check the 4 sensors.

I really do appreciate you trying to help me out though. It's good to bounce ideas around.

#15 ·
When you say you had 11.5 (or -11.5) V with the truck in reverse, was that with something in front of the sensor, in other words, sensing something in the path of the vehicle? Or, is it that way all of the time? If all of the time, that suggests a short somewhere in the system, as I would only expect a voltage to go to the speaker when the vehicle is in reverse and the sensor is sensing something.

#17 ·
Weird. This is a struggle. I can't really get any reading now, but if I quickly plug the factory speaker in and out, in and out, it beeps. I also just noticed one of my reverse lights is burned out. Any connection? I doubt it, but I'm going to replace the bulb right now just to be sure.

#18 · (Edited)
I get this one chirp out of the speaker each time I plug it in too, so I'm pretty sure the speaker is ok. Darn...This may be one fix that I need the dealer to take care of, unless I can find a better way to determine what's causing the fault...

#19 ·
I messed around more with this...I could wait till the bumper gets pulled (it needs to be touched up by body shop again), or try more stuff. Open to ideas. Thanks so much.

#20 ·
From the Service Manual for a 2004:

I don't know if it the same for the 08 but you could give it a try.

Self-diagnosis Function
There are four modes of self-diagnosis; entering diagnostics, requesting number of fault codes, requesting fault codes, and idling or clearing fault codes. These steps must be followed in order. Self-diagnosis can be manually exited by turning the ignition OFF, or selecting reverse gear. Self-diagnosis will automatically exit if a message is repeated five times without acknowledgement, before reporting number of faults if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds or in idle mode if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds.

ENTERING DIAGNOSTICS MODE
1. Turn ignition switch ON. Rear sonar system OFF switch indicator lamp comes on for three seconds and then goes out.
2. Immediately push rear sonar system OFF switch ten times within five seconds.
3. The the sonar buzzer sounds once and the rear sonar system OFF indicator flashes once.

REQUESTING NUMBER OF FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in diagnostic mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF indicator will flash once and sonar buzzer will sound once for each fault code detected.
4. There will be a four second pause.
5. The number of fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE: Self-diagnosis will exit unless requesting fault codes occurs before five repeats ends.

REQUESTING FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in requesting number of fault codes mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the first digit of the fault code followed by a one second pause.
4. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the second digit of the fault code followed by a four second pause.
5. The fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE:Requesting fault codes will exit unless the fault code is acknowledged before five repeats ends. The fault code is acknowledged by pushing the rear sonar system OFF switch once (the sonar buzzer may sound). When all fault codes have been indicated, idle mode will be entered. See the following table for fault code identification.

Fault Code Malfunction Page Reference
1 1 Rear sonar sensor LH outer
1 2 Rear sonar sensor LH inner
1 3 Rear sonar sensor RH inner
1 4 Rear sonar sensor RH outer
Check harness for open or short. If NG repair or replace harness. If OK replace sensor.

2 1 Sonar buzzer
2 2 Rear sonar system OFF indicator
2 3 Rear sonar system OFF switch
2 4 Sonar control unit. Replace sonar control unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#22 ·
#23 ·
Thanks. I have that too, and from what I can tell, you have to hook the truck up to the CONSULT-III software to get the codes (again, this is specific to front and rear sonar). If you know of a way to get a diagnosis without CONSULT, I'm all ears! That's what I'm trying to figure out. This is a tricky one it seems.

#24 ·
Ok, so this problem got a bit more interesting today. Leaving work today, I was backing up, and I noticed....no flashing light. Also nothing behind me, so no beeping. I got home and all night it was intermittently working, and then not working. But when it worked, it worked, until I switched out of reverse, and then went back into reverse.

What I noticed though, is that the speaker sounds like a dying duck...definitely not crisp and loud like before. So maybe it is the speaker? The radio shack piezo buzzer trick did nothing though. Any thoughts? For $50, I hate to buy the speaker and not have that be it, but it sure didn't sound right...

#25 ·
You know, I'm thinking if I could try the front sonar speak in the rear, as a test, I would at least be able to confirm it's the speaker before buying it. Looking at the parts lists, it's the same actual speaker. I just can't figure out how to pull that front panel above the gauges without ruining the edge or anything. Prying most certainly would chip/mess it up.

#26 ·
Well I'm pretty sure it's not the speaker. :) I took the front speaker, and moved it to the back, and the light still flashed. With the rear speaker mounted up front, the front sonar worked fine. So speaker is good.

On to more troubleshooting. Is there any other way to get to all 4 bumper sensors without removing the bumper cover? Seems like not.

I'm also going to follow the troubleshooting guide in the service manual on the sonar unit, as maybe that is faulty.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

#30 ·
They would LOVE to fix it for you :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.