2004 armada wont grab a gear. - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #11 of 16 Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM
dustydis2012
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
dustydis2012 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I find it hard to believe also that you got to remove the dash, maybe if the gear your in don't show on the cluster then I would say remove the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 PM
99billy99qx56
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
99billy99qx56 is on a distinguished road
2007 QX56 (forum plus youtube)

04-08 Titan shifter cable install fix youtube video worked for my wife 2007 Infiniti
QX56 (Nissan Armada/Titan) shift cable.
Floor shift.
Car would not move from park and shift was loose (not
engaging) in all gears.
Transmission not leaking (but fluid was low) no smoke and
after friends and Uncle Charles looked they guessed it was the shift linkage or
some part of it.
After looking at Club Armada forums and this video I was
hoping it was that same issue..might as well take a look
...sure enough the bushing in the cable connection had
broken to pieces! 10 dollar part at Autozone (Dorman linkage bushing #14055 )
and fix was in. There's an extra piece with the bushing package...don't need
it..only the clear piece.
I used my haynes book and another youtube video (remove
center console) and was able to reach the cable and bushing.
One issue that delayed me was that the shifter eventually
locked ..I had to push the cable back towards the floor and re shift got
it loose, this helped with replacing the center console as well (you don't have
to remove the entire shifter assembly!), just two pieces pried off..see the
center console video for floor shift.
Although the car was in the
driveway a week, this video, family and friends and a ten dollar part much
better than $$$$$ ordeal at the shop!!!
THANK YOU!
post #13 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Robbie Till
SHIFT_Lurker

Robbie Till is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spshond View Post
Ive never had a problem, i drove to work and to Discount tire today to get a rotation, and all the suddne the guy comes to me and says your car wont grab a gear. It wont go into reverse or nuetral or any gear for that matter. I can move the gear shifter up and down but on the dash lights, it stays in park. I tried resetting battery, that didnt work. Did my transmission linkage break? Cable? anyone with this same problem, help would be great. how easy is it to fix? Part numbers would be greatly appreciated. I tried pressing the manual release lever next to shifter, it didnt do anything. Car shifter moves up and down PRN12D, but the car doesnt get out of Park ( per dashboard )

thanks for the help/
Had this same problem and found this forum while troubleshooting. My problem turned out to be a worn out bushing where the shifter cable connects to the linkage at the shifter. My shifter is a center console but I found a video showing a quick fix of a column shifter on a Titan which connects pretty much the same. My wife was trying to handle the situation as I was at work when it happened and was told the entire shifter cable would need to be replaced. She had the vehicle towed to a shop where the mechanic there said it had disconnected from the transmission and could be a costly repair. After work I went to the shop and removed the center console, a very easy removal. Set the parking brake, put the vehicle in neutral and unscrew the shifter knob, snap the console trim off and there you can see where the shifter cable connects to the shifter. The bushing was worn out and cable had come loose. As a quick fix I reconnected the cable and secured with a zip tie tightly to the linkage. Took all of 5 minutes. Drove it that way for a few days and ordered a replacement bushing for $6. Hopefully someone experiencing this problem will find this helpful and not get ripped off by a dirty mechanic like I almost did.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Robbie Till
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Till View Post
Had this same problem and found this forum while troubleshooting. My problem turned out to be a worn out bushing where the shifter cable connects to the linkage at the shifter. My shifter is a center console but I found a video showing a quick fix of a column shifter on a Titan which connects pretty much the same. My wife was trying to handle the situation as I was at work when it happened and was told the entire shifter cable would need to be replaced. She had the vehicle towed to a shop where the mechanic there said it had disconnected from the transmission and could be a costly repair. After work I went to the shop and removed the center console, a very easy removal. Set the parking brake, put the vehicle in neutral and unscrew the shifter knob, snap the console trim off and there you can see where the shifter cable connects to the shifter. The bushing was worn out and cable had come loose. As a quick fix I reconnected the cable and secured with a zip tie tightly to the linkage. Took all of 5 minutes. Drove it that way for a few days and ordered a replacement bushing for $6. Hopefully someone experiencing this problem will find this helpful and not get ripped off by a dirty mechanic like I almost did.
I wouldn't suggest this as a permanent fix but it will get you home or off the side off the road until you can order or arrange a proper repair. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0420171811-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	39914  
post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Robbie Till
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Could be the shifter cable bushing has worn out and disconnected from the linkage to the shifter. A 5 minute quick fix to get you off the side of the road or until you can make a more permanent repair (this was done on a 2004 Nissan Armada): Set the parking brake and shift the vehicle to neutral, unscrew the shifter knob, snap the shifter console cover off and remove over the shifter rod, this will reveal the shifter cable connection to the shifter linkage, I reattached the shifter cable which was detached due to a worn bushing and secured with zip ties. While I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent fix it might get you off the side of the road until you can arrange a proper repair. I ordered a replacement bushing online for $6. Hope this helps someone. Good luck.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Robbie Till
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Here is a pic of the quick repair. Again I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent fix but it will get you until you can arrange a proper repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0420171811-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	39922  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode