Armada/QX56 Rear Shock Air to Gas Conversion, Auto-Leveling - Page 4 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #31 of 34 Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 AM
gcuevas20
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
gcuevas20 is on a distinguished road
The conversion itself does not require the moog spring.

You can do the conversion just by installing new shocks and disconnecting the auto-leveling sensor (that is located by the air compressor on rear driver side).

As far a what kind of shocks I would recommend the Ranchos RS9000XL, they are adjustable. When I did my conversion I used the Suncore Gas Shock, they are ok but I had the Ranchos on my previous Armada and I liked them better.

Months later I did the Moog springs and just recently I added the firestone bags but only because I tow a lot. The springs will give you a little lift (around 2") so if you are looking for that them I highly recommend them.

2008 Armada LE

Previous:

2004 Armada SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
primoV8 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Actually, either the Moog 81085, Nissan SE/Non Big-tow, or Napa equivalent rear coils are needed when converting to the non-auto leveling rear; the LE coils are too soft and about a coil shorter.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #33 of 34 Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
tonyregan1
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tonyregan1 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

I've been watching this thread as one of my air shocks blew last week. I was just sitting at a stop sign & BOOM!!! So based on all the reading I've done I've decided on the conversion, as I was never thrilled with the air leveling system in the first place. Has anyone tried Rancho RS5113? I purchased those because they were available locally as I planned on doing it last weekend, but the Moogs didn't come in time for that. It seems most seem to keep the 999306's between 5/6, so I just figured the 5113's would fall somewhere in that range. I don't tow a whole lot, but occasionaly a 2 place snowmobile trailer here and there, so I'm not sure if the adjustment on the 999306's would be of much benefit, but is the performance of those adjusted to 5/6 that much better than the fixed 5113's? In addition, I have been driving around a week with the blown air cover and honestly have not noticed one bit of difference. At first I was being cautious, only putting in 10 gals of gas, nothing in back, etc. but took the wheel off last weekend to check and the existing gas shock is working fine, so I thought I would take a little more time and get some feedback before proceeding. Thanks in advance.

post #34 of 34 Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM
anthracite
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anthracite is on a distinguished road
Looks like I am going to try the Ranch 9000 series and Moog 81085 springs out back and get rid of my auto leveling. 160K miles and it is still functioning, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I take it since this will lift the rear I can just use the PRG leveling kit up front and be good?

Steve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode