Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Loving My new Armada

24K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  jdskycaster 
#1 ·
Picked it up yesterday. Platinum Gun Metallic with Black interior. Had to buy it twice. First time the dealer said they could get in transferred so I went through the whole process and had the deal done but come to find out they could not deliver. Drove 45 minutes to Lawrence, KS and went through the process again at Briggs Nissan. Didn't get as good of a deal but I didn't want to wait. I paid $57,575 and they gave me $40,500 for my 2015 Tundra. Olathe Nissan deal was $57,850 but 41,800 for my truck. Doc fee was less at Briggs and so was GAP and they got me a way better interest rate so my payment is actually less. $762/mo nothing down. Had a couple thousand equity in my truck.

As far as the Armada goes, I love it. My wife has a 2011 QX56 she got last Friday. We traded her 2010 QX56 and I previously had a 2008 Sequoia Platinum and 2004 escalade so we have a little experience with large SUV's. The few complaints I have are low storage space, small third row(especially compared to previous generation Armada) and doors don't unlock when put in park. Third zone AC cannot be synced with front.
Things I love
Great Power delivery, slightly less responsive than QX56 but way better than toyota
Awesome interior
LED headlights
Remote start
Great DVD system for kids
Around view camera is Fantastic
2nd row bench. Thats not an option on platinum sequoia.
Cooled seats
Exterior styling (think I'll tint the front and black out the silver parts on front and back bumper)
Nice Bose stereo.

I'm so thankful I was able to get this Armada, I love it!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Congrats!!! Great color combo.

Is yours 4x4? There is one thing missing on yours. The cross bars on the roof. That is an additional $300 or so. Then that may mean you have every single thing on your Armada that could come stock.

#4 ·
I found a video on youtube of someone giving a full review of exactly what you are driving. It is a great overall review.

#5 · (Edited)
And here are pictures of the 2 Armadas I drove last weekend when I was visiting friends in Colorado Springs, CO.

Here is the 2017 Platinum 4x4. Fully loaded with every single option. This is the top of the line.

#7 ·
Yes mine is 4x4. I believe the only available option on the platinum is Captains chairs and console for the second row. The roof rail cross bars are accessories like floor mats or USB port. Seems silly to me that they wouldn't be included and that they are $300 but I do wish I had them.

This will be my first day driving it because I had to drive my wifes qx to the dealership yesterday so she drove mine all day. She said a lot of people were checking it out. This is my first time having a newly released vehicle and only my 2nd new car purchase so I'm really enjoying it.

One more thing I realized last night was accessing the trailer hitch is a pain. I wish it was exposed like the previous Gen armada.

I was reading about all the features yesterday and noticed windshield wiper deicer. Apparently it heats up the lower part of the windshield where the wipers sit. We get a lot of freezing rain here in Kansas City so thats very cool. The wifes QX doesn't have that.

#10 ·
The 1st generation Armada is the best Armada yet in terms of functionality. It is great that it has tow hooks in the front and the tow hitch is exposed.

Yes, accessing all these hitches that you have to take off things to get to sucks. Then when you lose that piece, the Armada rear would look funny. Then try to go to the dealership to buy a new one and I bet it would be super expensive.

Yeah, I cannot believe they sold you a fully loaded Armada but left out the crossbars. I mean, if you are paying top dollar for the most loaded one, then they should put that there. Or are they putting that only on the Platinum with captain seats?

Is your wife's QX the basic model? Does she have the front radar? Does she have dvd headrests in the front?

I bet she would love driving your Armada. It is a new car and definitely will get a lot of looks.

Enjoy.

#11 ·
wow. she looks like the qx...nice ride.

Believe

#13 ·
Can't pull the trigger.

Bought a 15 Platinum last December. Really want to trade up to a 17 but it's nearly a $20,000 bath. So I've decided to put the Katzkin seat cooling system in the front and pretend it's a 17. Have you driven a 15 and how does it compare to your new one?

#14 ·
We actually went in to buy the 15 Armada platinum but the 17's rolled in while we were there. We drove both and the 17 definitely drives better but we were also looking at the QX80 too. We ended up with the 17 Armada. Didn't make sense to pay 48K for a 15 platinum vs 53K for a 17 SL with technology pkg, moonroof etc. Even got 2 years of maintenance included and a set of all weather floor mats:)

Don't get me wrong, we did like the 15 too but they were not willing to deal as much as I thought they would and would technically be buying a 2 model year old vehicle.

#24 ·
Did you notice the bump steer problem that the older models have? I have a 2013 and I never noticed the bump steer problem on the test drive. I eventually put new shocks on in front as other guys have done and that helped. I would hope that Nissan took care of that in the 2017 model.

#15 ·
17's

Been looking at the comments on the 17's and everyone seems to be disappointed in the 3rd row. Kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger after all. The wife loves the 15. She only rides in the 2nd row now. Says it's more comfy back there and doesn't have to deal with me at the wheel. Driving Miss Daisy anyone?

I only paid $47 for the 15 and Nissan here in Melbourne would only give me $38 and wanted full sticker for the 17 and of course they would not even think about ordering the packages I wanted. Oh, don't worry we'll find what you wanted. Yeah right.

So, the seat coolers go in next week, changing the center leather panels to micro perforated grey leather to match the interior trim. Going to drop in a cold air induction if K&N make one that will fit. Was thinking about a Stillen Supercharger but looks like they've had big problems with it so I guess that's it.

Happy motoring everyone.

#17 ·
Got my 2wd Platinum Sept 1st. Have 1200 miles on her now. Very good improvement overall compared to previous gen. Gas mileage for us is the best improvement. In our 08' 2wd and 14' 4wd traveling to wife's work and back thru avenues and neighborhood streets we were getting 12.4mpg. With the 17' we are getting 16.1mpg consistently....remarkable improvement; same routes and driving styles. Going to my work on hwy. out of town I am getting 20.3 to 19.8 vs. 16.9mpg on previous gen.. Refinement/ fit and finish superior. No suspension clunks or bucket contact on speedbumps or pulling out of driveway. Can barely feel any shifts from the 7 speed. Off the line performance much better.

Complaints are interior storage space including glove box is smaller. Tranny wants to go into higher gears too soon. Tranny holds on to gear too long before downshifting; you almost have to floor it for the tranny to downshift. (similar complaints to previous gen Armadas built after 2008).

Overall I am very happy.

Attachments

#18 ·
I've gone off the '17 Armada since driving it. I mean it was comfortable and had plenty of power, but I felt like i was driving a minivan, which in essense I am.

What turned me off was Nissan's failure to update the dash and technology to include the new NissanConnect features and new layout like every other new Nissan has done. My Wifes '15 Rogue has it for god sake.

So I started looking at the Crew Cab Titan 1/2 ton instead, and I love it, it has all the modern features, same engine drrivetrain, seating for 5 (I don't really need the 3rd row) and it's about $5k cheaper!

#19 ·
A minivan that has the off roading capabilities that it does kind of appeals to me... I personally like knobs and dislike the newer Nissan Connect junk, but that's just me...

What do you guys think of $55,600 for a Platinum AWD not including taxes and registration? I was hitting the dealerships hard for $50k for an SL AWD, but no one can quite get me there... but I came across a dealer who will give me the Platinum for what I said, good enough?

#20 ·
I would agree with some of the technology missing but I certainly wouldn't compare it to a minivan. Having had a Landcruiser, the Armada has a very similar driving experience. I know some people think the new Armada has a dated interior coming from the QX80 but I still think it is well put together. Considering we were deciding between the Armada and the QX, didn't much matter since the interior is the same.

kaipo13, I assume you are talking about 17's? 55 seems like a good price for the Platinum considering they sticker for 61 or higher and most dealers are not giving much off since it is a new model and they really don't have to. For me, the SL with techology pkg and sunroof was the way to go

#21 ·
Price

I have always used 10 or 11% below MSRP if you can pay cash or are financing the car. The dealership of course makes a ton of money on the financing so go for 11% off the sticker and hold to your guns. Doesn't matter whether its a Platinum or SL but I prefer the Platinum package because its loaded. If you're trading though can be a bunch of pric..

#22 ·
I'm actually trying to buy online, as I live in Hawaii. No dealership has brought a 17 over yet, they're trying to get rid of their 15s; so I haven't gotten a chance to test drive one. Dealerships here rip you off anyway, so I've bought many cars this way. I've had 3 people test drive them for me up there when negotiating to purchase one and I've heard different things - guess it depends on what they're used to?

My brother said he was surprised how sluggish it felt on city streets until he got it on the freeway. Anyone here have any input they can share on how the ride is? I've been driving a Titan for the past few years, so I'm used to a decent sized vehicle.

#27 ·
About to buy

Am about to pull the trigger on the 17 Armada Platinum. Going to keep it for hopefully the next 10 years like I did my Pathfinder. I have had the 15 Platinum for a little over a year and love it. Daughter wants that from me so.....

Updates on what it's been like for you guys? Any issues?

Thanks

#28 ·
Am about to pull the trigger on the 17 Armada Platinum. Going to keep it for hopefully the next 10 years like I did my Pathfinder. I have had the 15 Platinum for a little over a year and love it. Daughter wants that from me so.....

Updates on what it's been like for you guys? Any issues?

Thanks

Overall we love it. There are a handful of issues noted in different threads here. I've experienced some of them with the transmission issue being the most pronounced. We purchased the Platinum Black on Black. Doing it over, I may have opt for White on Tan. The black does show everything inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
The 17 platinum armada is awesome! Its the perfect size and has all of the features I wanted, minus locking diff.

The most major issue I have had is the transmission issue and its a BIG problem. I would return mine because of it if they would let me.

Some other smaller things I have noticed after having it that I didn't notice on the test drive:
Center console storage is not big enough for me.
Cooled seats are nice but the fan is really loud.
There is a drumming noise when there are bumps in the road. Sounds like your head is in a plastic garbage can and someone is hitting it.
The tow hitch setup is super lame. The electrical plugin is flimsy and the cover is a hassle to remove and install.
also the sonar is a PITA when towing. having to hit the disable button every time you put it in reverse.
The crash preventions intervenes sometimes when I don't think it should. (better then not working when you need it to)
The third row seat takes forever to raise and lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.