Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Thermostat

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Treeeluva 
#1 ·
Does anyone how to change the thermostat (waterpump) on the Armada?

#3 ·
that easy....should i have dealer do it or can i do?

#5 ·
pops. ugh! Is there any instructions on how to remove it?

#7 ·
cool thank you...

#8 ·
Check your e-mail.

#9 ·
My fan comes on in 2004 Armada and when I cut the car off it cuts off. I hear my water bubbling... This is not normal I know... I have 180,000 and I have never overheated and my temp guages are at normal... anyone have any ideas for me... I'm in Las Vegas. Its extremely hot. I have no air cuz I have not had the system checked. Could it all be related?

#11 ·
Replacing the thermostat is a simple job. Simply remove the curved intake tube between the MAF and intake throttle. From there it is a simple manner of removing the three bolts that hold the thermostat housing on. They may be 10mm I can't remember now. Pull out the old thermostat and then pop in the new one.

Just make sure your orient the new thermostat so the little weep hole is on the top side of the thermostat. This aides in getting any air out of the block. All togther it's no more than a ten minute job.

#12 ·
This thread was helpful. I did this thermostat swap in the dark in a parking lot with minimal tools, based on the info in the thread. Just needed a 10mm nut driver (or socket) and a 12 mm socket and a pair of pliers and a flat tipped screw driver.

Once the truck has cooled down, crack open the radiator cap and bleed off any pressure (if any), then use the pliers to remove the hose clamps tapping off the air intake. Use the screw driver to loosen the clamps on each end to remove the main air intake tube. Use the 10mm to remove the two front bolts on the plastic engine cover, and then just pull straight up in the back of the cover to unseat the plunger style clips.

Then remove the upper radiator hose where it connects to the housing holding the thermostat. Give this hose a good couple of squeeze to purge any excess fluid out of it first, then use your pliers to loosen the clamp and pull off the hose.

Then remove the three 12mm bolts, and simply pull out the thermostat. My new one (a Duralast from Autozone $12.99) did not have the little rubber gasket that the OEM part had, so I put the gasket on the new one. Also, the spring on the new one was not nearly as robust as the OEM part, but it matches all other dimensions and is rated for the same 180 degree temp, so I used it). Reassembly was super easy.

I am trying to attach a photo of the old and new thermostats. The original OEM one is the on the left. The new one is on the right, with the rubber gasket ring already on it

Attachments

#13 ·
No rubber gasket on new AutoZone thermostat

nwoods, I found the same with the $12.99 thermostat I got from AZ last night. What's up with that? I even told them that I needed this gasket and all they had were others that were stated to be used with the thermostat but look nothing the o-ring in your photo. I'll try salvaging the old o-ring as you did.

My wife was driving my 06 Armada LE earlier this week and noticed the engine temp was running extremely high. At the same time she had trouble going up a parking garage ramp... then the SES light came on. We had the truck towed to Firestone ad they told me about needed a new water pump and thermostat ($550 repair). They also checked the engine code and it revealed some transmission issues which may explain my my wife said the truck was straining to get up a small incline (P1757). I guess this was just a major coincidence since I cant see a water pump failure and tranny issue being related. This worries me being that I just got this truck in November 2014. I'll start another thread for help with this tranny code.

Going to try to tackle the water pump and thermostat repair myself for the first time today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.