Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

How to reset the TPMS

173K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  bodacious 
#1 ·
Hey guys i just put new TPMS on my truck anyone know how to reset them?

#2 ·
The dealer or a tire store with the proper equipment do it. Discount Tire can do it much cheaper than the dealer.

#9 ·
I put aftermarket valve caps on and they seized, the dealer would not try to remove them, now I understand why.

I just tried to take one off and snapped the whole POS off. I called Discount tire where I got my current tires and they told me they can replace and program it for $60 all in (not nec. to take off wheel, just pop bead). I called stealership and they said $102 for part and $30-40 to take off tire and install it.

No brainer.

#3 ·
Easy TPMS Reset Instructions

I just like to share my experiments with resetting the TPMS on my 2010 Armada Platinum. I found the attached post on a Nissan forum and it works pretty well as listed.
I bought 4 new winter tires, with wheels and sensors. After install, the TPMS obviously didn't recognize the new wheels.
Procedure:
1. If you don't have a TPMS reset tool, set your tire pressures as follows:
FL = 36psi; FR = 33psi; RR = 30 psi; RL = 27 psi
2. Find the little white TPMS connector. In my Armada, it was taped to the wires going to the OBD connector, above the gas pedal.
3. Stick a 10" or so piece of wire into the connector, ensure it connects the pin inside the connector. Leave the other end dangling.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (don't start the truck yet), wait for your dash warning lights to go off.
5. Touch the free end of the wire to the bare metal bracket (i.e. ground it) 5 times within 10 seconds. If successful, your TPMS warning light on the dash starts flashing. This means you've put the computer in learning mode.
6. Start the truck and drive it for about 10 - 15 minutes, at speeds over 40 km/hr. The TPMS sensors in the wheels will wake up and advertise their presence to the monitoring system. The monitoring system knows which wheel is which due to the pressure differentials. Once the system registers the new sensors, the flashing light will go off and your display (if fitted) will show the 4 pressures.
7. Shortly after, the light may come on again, because your left rear tire pressure is too low. So don't forget to reinflate your tires to proper pressures again.

A few other notables:
- The display shows tire pressures in the order I indicated above, i.e. from Front Left (at top) to FR, RR and Rear Left (at bottom) clockwise around the truck.
- My TPMS readings are about 3 psi lower than my gauge.

Hope this will help someone else too. Now I'm comfortable I can reset the system again in the spring when I put the summers back on.

George

#17 ·
I just like to share my experiments with resetting the TPMS on my 2010 Armada Platinum. I found the attached post on a Nissan forum and it works pretty well as listed.
I bought 4 new winter tires, with wheels and sensors. After install, the TPMS obviously didn't recognize the new wheels.
Procedure:
1. If you don't have a TPMS reset tool, set your tire pressures as follows:
FL = 36psi; FR = 33psi; RR = 30 psi; RL = 27 psi
2. Find the little white TPMS connector. In my Armada, it was taped to the wires going to the OBD connector, above the gas pedal.
3. Stick a 10" or so piece of wire into the connector, ensure it connects the pin inside the connector. Leave the other end dangling.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (don't start the truck yet), wait for your dash warning lights to go off.
5. Touch the free end of the wire to the bare metal bracket (i.e. ground it) 5 times within 10 seconds. If successful, your TPMS warning light on the dash starts flashing. This means you've put the computer in learning mode.
6. Start the truck and drive it for about 10 - 15 minutes, at speeds over 40 km/hr. The TPMS sensors in the wheels will wake up and advertise their presence to the monitoring system. The monitoring system knows which wheel is which due to the pressure differentials. Once the system registers the new sensors, the flashing light will go off and your display (if fitted) will show the 4 pressures.
7. Shortly after, the light may come on again, because your left rear tire pressure is too low. So don't forget to reinflate your tires to proper pressures again.

A few other notables:
- The display shows tire pressures in the order I indicated above, i.e. from Front Left (at top) to FR, RR and Rear Left (at bottom) clockwise around the truck.
- My TPMS readings are about 3 psi lower than my gauge.

Hope this will help someone else too. Now I'm comfortable I can reset the system again in the spring when I put the summers back on.

George
George,

Thanks for taking the time to post this procedure - you just saved me $100! I recently put on 20" wheels from a Titan and they came with the TMPS sensors on them. I called the dealer and they wanted $100 to reprogram the TMPS to the sensors. I'm glad I came across your procedure. The first time I tried it, it failed - it went into learn mode no problem but did not pick up the new sensors. After about 10 minutes, there was a long beep and the blinking TPMS light came on solid. So I pulled over and checked the tire pressures and sure enough, there was not quite a 3 psi differential between 2 of the tires. I let out a little more air out of them to make sure I had a 3 psi differential between the 4 tires and tried it again. This time it worked!

Also, thanks for solving the mystery of which reading is for which tire. That was really annoying me!

Below are a couple pics that others might find useful.

Here is a pic of where the TMPS connector is located - it was taped to the OBD wiring harness.

I untaped the connector, stuck a small paper clip in it, then attached an alligator clip to the paper clip. I think this is easier than trying to stick a wire in the connector.

Success!

#4 · (Edited)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Nissan Armada - Reset

Hello George,

I checked out a post that you made in 2010 on resetting the Tire Pressure Monitoring System for your Armada. I was wondering if you had a few minutes, whether you could take a quick picture of the TPMS wire harness connector (you describe it as a white wire) and post it to this site, so that anyone reading this forum knows exactly what wire to ground out in order to carry out this procedure. I have a 2004 Armada and was wanting to do this, but didn't want to short out something else by accident. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, my 2004 Armada does not have a display monitor in which a readout of individual tire pressures are shown. I don't think this should matter though. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ron :bow:

#5 ·
The plug is white but the wire was another color (2007 armada) and it was taped to the wires just behind the diagnostic plugin. The plug is a two pin but has only one wire and it was blue with a white stripe on mine. Make sure you vary the tire pressure as instructed regardless of whether your vehicle displays which tire is low. Below is a picture of the plug and just follow the instructions. There is also a kit available on Amazon but a wire/paper clip work just as well.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hey, I Tried first without air pressure adjustment, nothing but long beep in few miles, then i adjust air pressure as per your post 36,33,30,27, and after another 3 miles my pressure sensors wake up and working perfect, i used original Nissan sensors from ebay, thank you for your post its save me some $$

Reactions: mgeer
#16 ·
TPMS reset procedure works again.

Thanks for posting this and again it works like a champ, if you follow the steps verbatim! I screwed around with it for awhile before understanding that: a) tires need to have at least the differential listed as the first time i used an old style slide tire gauge and it wasn't accurate enough - use a digital and b) ground the connector the 5 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition to "on". I think of the 2 above the tire pressure was the key missing link, as I did get the flashing indicator several times but it didn't register the tire pressures. I only wish the dealer could have done this instead of me having to figure this out after he switched the tires/wheels on me when I just bought the Armada last month...

#18 ·
Thanks for the useful post. But, what if you don't want to stick a wire into the connector? Is there a more "sophisticated" way of doing this? Hope I didn't sound ungrateful… LOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
unreliable paper clip method

I found the paper clip a bit unreliable (sometimes doesn't make good contact inside the white connector). So I have stripped a bit of insulation off the wire that goes into the white connector. That way I can connect an alligator clip. I have an old remote starter switch button (the type that you clip to a starter solenoid to crank an engine). It has two alligator clips and a push button. So one clip goes onto the white wire (with the stripped insulation), the other end goes to the bare metal bracket that the OBD connector is attached to.
Then, after turning the ignition on and waiting (forever, it seems) for the dash lights to go off, I click the botton five times, put the computer in learning mode and drive off. Has worked reliably for me for the last few years.

#20 ·
I found the paper clip a bit unreliable (sometimes doesn't make good contact inside the white connector). So I have stripped a bit of insulation off the wire that goes into the white connector. That way I can connect an alligator clip. I have an old remote starter switch button (the type that you clip to a starter solenoid to crank an engine). It has two alligator clips and a push button. So one clip goes onto the white wire (with the stripped insulation), the other end goes to the bare metal bracket that the OBD connector is attached to.
Then, after turning the ignition on and waiting (forever, it seems) for the dash lights to go off, I click the botton five times, put the computer in learning mode and drive off. Has worked reliably for me for the last few years.
Great idea if you have to do this often. Do you switch wheels back and forth regularly? What heppens when I rotate the wheels - do I need to do this procedure again or not? I wouldn't think so.

#21 ·
rotating wheels

I switch wheels twice a year (summer to winter and vice versa). Have to do the whole procedure every time.

I suspect that if you just rotate the same wheels to a different position, you don't have to do anything. However, your Tire Pressure display on the screen would be in the wrong order, if that matters at all to you.

#22 ·
I switch wheels twice a year (summer to winter and vice versa). Have to do the whole procedure every time.

I suspect that if you just rotate the same wheels to a different position, you don't have to do anything. However, your Tire Pressure display on the screen would be in the wrong order, if that matters at all to you.
I need to rotate tires soon, will do front to back back to front method, will the system figure out tire location , it don't matter to me as I just use the display for reference anyways. Guess it will be right when I go back in a few months.

#25 ·
Thanks for the Info.

#24 ·
Just FYI for anyone curious...

I took my '05 into Discount Tire yesterday ($129 to replace two sensors). Their little handheld computer that detects bad sensors needs to also be plugged into the TPMS connector to put the computer into learning mode. I think they forgot to do that part originally because the PSI numbers were not showing up.

They connected the handheld back into the connector and let it run for ~20-30 seconds.

After that, driving it for 5 minutes got the two sensors to start checking in.

#27 ·
Book says to disconnect battery, then start at left front and set tire 23 psi, right front 26, right rear 29, drivers rear 32. reconnect battery, drive. As soon as you hit 25mph the system is supposed to cycle and read the sensors in a clockwise sequence, and you need 3psi difference for the sensor system to differentiate. After the tire light goes out, return the pressures to your chosen level.
nissan says the tire sensors are low pressure sensors only, not over or high pressure sensors. BUT- the sensors talk through blue tooth which is iffy at best. I just had all my sensors replaced (120k miles) and followed factory reset instructions and they are FUBAR, so I'll have to troubleshoot their freqs and transmission strengths to find out why they don't work correctly.

#29 ·
hi guys, I hope that somebody will answer....
I tried as you were writing on previous pages, how to reset TPMS....and light is still ON (Armada 2006)....
any other options or suggestions....?
Thanks

hi guys, I hope that somebody will answer....
I tried as you were writing on previous pages, how to reset TPMS....and light is still ON (Armada 2006)....
any other options or suggestions....?
Thanks
I forget to tell, but now whet I start the engine light is instead of blinking is steady.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.