Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 59 Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
scr38
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
scr38 will become famous soon enough
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

There has been a lot of discussion (and some mis-information) about the TPMS on our vehicles. I hope this will shed some light on the subjuct.

Each of the four tires on the ground has a pressure sensor in it. There is no sensor in the spare; the system can "read" only four sensors. This sensor is built into the tire valve stem. Each sensor sends a pressure signal by radio to a receiver in the dash, the same one that receives the keyless entry system signal. These signals are then sent the the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls the low tire pressure warning light and buzzer.

If the TPMS system receives a low pressure signal from one or more wheel sensors the light and buzzer will go off. If the system is not receiving 4 signals from the sensors it indicates a system problem and only the light goes on.
Contrary to what others have posted, you can't turn the system off.

In fact, there are Federal laws concerning this:

Congress passed the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act in the fall of 2000. This requires a warning system to indicate under inflated tires.
Automakers had to be 70% compliant by September 1, 2006 and 100% compliant by September 1, 2007. (Section 13 of the TREAD Act).

By Federal law (49 U.S.C. 30122(b) the TPMS system can't be bypassed:

"A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may no knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter..."

It is not against this law to remove sensors yourself, but a shop could refuse to work on any vehicle that violates this law.

Many of the larger tire stores now stock the sensors and repair parts. The car makers seem to be setting a standard for the sensors, so most will interchange. The tire stores also have the programmer to activate the sensors.

The TPMS is a good thing. It could save you a wheel, tire, prevent an accident or even save your life. I urge everyone to keep the system intact. If you get new wheels, install sensors in them.

If any sensor other than the ones that came on the vehicle are used, they must be programmed to your vehicle. You can move sensors from your original wheels to new wheels without having to reprogram them.
Also, it is not necessary to reprogram sensors when the four tires on the ground are rotated. You don't use the spare in the rotation since there is no sensor in it.
I hope this answers questions about the TPMS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
esMada
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
esMada is on a distinguished road
I agree with you 100% scr38.... it is one safety feature I love having in my truck. and since I have a Nav. it displays this warning everytime I start the vehicle until I inflate the tires back to the proper pressure.
post #3 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Bcrowell
SHIFT_Lurker

Bcrowell is on a distinguished road
I have a question regarding TPMS and aftermarket rims.
How are the sensors programmed? Do they have to remove the tires from the rims?
My question relates to the purchase of Infinity QX takeoffs or other aftermarket used rims with the sensors installed.
post #4 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Chris03HD
SHIFT_Hardcore

Chris03HD is on a distinguished road
Such a great system.... to bad it cant tell you what damn tire is which on the display!

GM (*gasp*) even shows a LF RF / LR RR on their displays..

post #5 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
92TripleBlack
SHIFT_Hardcore

92TripleBlack is on a distinguished road
Good post scr38.
post #6 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
bmfsapper
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bmfsapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrowell
I have a question regarding TPMS and aftermarket rims.
How are the sensors programmed? Do they have to remove the tires from the rims?
My question relates to the purchase of Infinity QX takeoffs or other aftermarket used rims with the sensors installed.
My Brother has some aftermarket rims on his Titan and got old ones installed in them and no reprograming was needed but that might have been a special case dont really know if is same for all. anyone?
The only issue he had was that the istallers were and damaged 2 of them in the process. Now we are putting on two from a Mada and will post what was need to get full function. Well actually bill be using info posted by SCR38.

2005 Nissan Armada SE 4x4

"Sappers Lead the Way"

post #7 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Mada300z
SHIFT_Newbie

Mada300z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris03HD
Such a great system.... to bad it cant tell you what damn tire is which on the display!

GM (*gasp*) even shows a LF RF / LR RR on their displays..
I would have to give the vote to Nissan on this one. It is a little more of a PIA to find the problem but when it shows up you don't just put air in the one tire (GM) but you have to test them all to find the low one. Makes for an all around safer system.

04 Armada LE 4x4 no Tech
Kenwood DDX 6019
M&D ANS190ST
JL Audio 500/1
Custom Stealth box for Eclipse 10"
Audiovox rear view camera

93 300ZXTT
Sport 500 Turbos
555cc Injectors
Ashpec ECU
SS Split Downpipes
Jim Wolf Pop Charger
Hard Pipes
Greddy Boost Controller

post #8 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Chris03HD
SHIFT_Hardcore

Chris03HD is on a distinguished road
I dont agree with that statement at all.

Id like to know WHAT tire to add air to, if the other 3 are reading correctly.

Unless you can eye ball the difference between 33psi and 36psi, Nissan should have followed GM's lead.

post #9 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Mada300z
SHIFT_Newbie

Mada300z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris03HD
I dont agree with that statement at all.

Id like to know WHAT tire to add air to, if the other 3 are reading correctly.

Unless you can eye ball the difference between 33psi and 36psi, Nissan should have followed GM's lead.
By checking I mean with a guage of course.

You are certanly entitled to your opinion however if that system told my wife which tire to add air to she would never even check the other ones until told to do so. If there was something wrong with the other sensors she would never even think to look at the other tires. Since the Mada is her daily not mine it's safer for me this way. Hell, she can't even remember to get the oil changed and the sticker is right in front of her face. Having to check all of the tires means looking at all of the tires and maybe even seeing other problems like treadware, missing lugs or sidewall damage. I just think its a good reminder to check them all while your out there and you might find something you were'nt looking for. I certainly don't need the TPMS on my 93Z but she's not alowed to drive that.

04 Armada LE 4x4 no Tech
Kenwood DDX 6019
M&D ANS190ST
JL Audio 500/1
Custom Stealth box for Eclipse 10"
Audiovox rear view camera

93 300ZXTT
Sport 500 Turbos
555cc Injectors
Ashpec ECU
SS Split Downpipes
Jim Wolf Pop Charger
Hard Pipes
Greddy Boost Controller

post #10 of 59 Old 03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
esMada
SHIFT_Hardcore

esMada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfsapper
My Brother has some aftermarket rims on his Titan and got old ones installed in them and no reprograming was needed but that might have been a special case dont really know if is same for all. anyone?
The only issue he had was that the istallers were and damaged 2 of them in the process. Now we are putting on two from a Mada and will post what was need to get full function. Well actually bill be using info posted by SCR38.
When I put after market rims on my Armada, the tire shop took the sensors off my stock wheels and put them on the new ones. The light came on and they told me to drive it around the block and it would turn off..... it did.

BTW, I agree that it would be nice to know exactly which wheel is low but since it is not this way, I feel safer checking them all. It's actually a good reminder for me to check my tire pressure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode