Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

More ABS/near brake failure problems

50K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  m3bs 
#1 ·
I have had numerous episodes like those described in the thread "bad ABS on Armada". Everything is going well and I am traveling at low speed and step on the brakes and hear a terrible grinding sound coming from the brakes in addition to a spring like sound and a significant reduction in braking power. This continues until I pull off the road and shut off the engine and then start it back up and the brakes work fine. This has happen to myself and to my wife at least 15-20 times. (2004 Armada)

We took the car to the dealer in Roswell, GA several times. The first few times the answer was that they can't find anything wrong. Several weeks ago we took it in for the same issue and were told the same thing, but this time the brake problem recurred on the way home. We called the dealer and they drove to my car and picked it up and left me with a loner. Now they had the car running with the problem so I thought great now we can get this fixed!!!

They determined that the ABS actuator circuit was open and therefore replaced the ABS actuator. Great problem fixed, at least for 3 weeks. Same brake issues occurs again this week. Brought it back to the dealer and the answer I get is "Can't find any problem". I can't understand this response at all!!! It is the same problem as before!! The fix did not work!!!!

There seem to have been several people experiecing the same issues. Any thoughts or contacts so I can point these guys in the right direction??

If this were my dealership my answer would have been that I'm going to start replacing every piece of the braking system 1 at a time until we get it right. This is a real safety issue!!

See less See more
#52 ·
I've been dealing with the same issues on my 05 Armada. ABS is coming on when it should not. Feels like I'm trying to stop on the ice when there is no ice. Sometimes the slip light goes on. I loose brakes. Funny because this happened after driving 3 highway hrs, turning vehicle off for aprox 45mins or so then when I started the truck again I had no brakes to back out of the driveway slowly. I get that I have to restart the vehicle but I had just started it? And do I have to restart in Neutral someone said? But here's my question: Does anyone see a direct collation to the tire pressure light going on after driving at least 30mins or so on the highway, then the ABS going on at somepoint thereafter? It seems I have two problems. Tire pressure warning and ABS. Also I have replaced the struts because of steering wheel shaking and truck jumping all over when driving over bumps. Two hands required firmly on wheel at all times! Struts seemed to fix problem but at the time the dealer said struts not covered under warranty so I paid outside mechanic but now I show struts should have been covered with Security Plus Gold Preferred warranty. Huge safety issue. I live in NY and I drive w/kids (not just my own!!!) I need those brakes to be dependable. I Need to resolve this issue before something bad happens. Thanks for the tons of info! Great site. Cindy

#55 ·
had the same problem

the abs motor will kick in and you will hear the springy like sound, the ABS computer needs to be flashed, u have to wait untill the problem occurs and when it happenes the BRAKE light stays on, this is when you must take it to the dealer or else no codes will show with the light off, then they will reflash the abs control unit and u will be fine. Hope this helps.

#56 ·
Class Action Lawsuit

We had problems with our Armada (2002) brake system and had to replace the complete brake booster assembly at a local dealership--since the "delta stroke" component cannot be replaced by itself. We paid around $1000 to get it repaired. Imagine my happiness when my wife received a class action lawsuit notice in the mail against Nissan. If anyone has paid to have the delta stroke system replaced--submit your claim through these link(s) to be considered for reimbursement.

http://dssclassaction.com or go directly to the claim form at

https://eclaim.kccllc.net/caclaimforms/nbk/Landing.aspx

#57 ·
Dealer wanted $900 from me to replace brake booster but ordered from Auto Zone Cardone Reman Brake Power Booster for $170 and my mechanic installed for $200. Fixed my braking issues!!!! Filed claim but just cheaper fix if you don't have a G laying around. Hope I get reimbursed soon so I can get my new tires :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.