Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Headlight replacement?????

20K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  regdawg 
#1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions from you guys on which headlights are the best & brightest and what does it take to change them on an '04?????

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
There are no aftermarket headlight replacements that will provide a brighter and better light output than the OEM parts. Those so-called projector headlights see all over ebay, online, etc.. are junk to begin with.

Keep the stock headlights, and replace the bulbs with either Silverstars(non HID) or with an aftermarket HID kit.

But if you really want to improve the OEM headlights' output, an OEM projector/xenon(HID) retrofit is the ONLY way to go. A bit costly for some, but nothing else comes close.

#24 ·
armada headlight options

I beg to differ. After going through 8 different manufacturers sets of aftermarket
headlight bulbs, I would say that any and all replacement bulbs are brighter and better than the oem bulbs. My bulbs started burning out 30 minutes after new car drive away; as expected, Nissan has no warranty on any of it's bulbs. I found that my rear light bulbs were actually marked as seconds. Provided by a union supplier no doubt! Since all after market bulbs are at least 70% brighter than oem bulbs, it tells me two things. Different eyes react to different light wave lengths, differently. So ask around and talk to folks in parking lights and at intersection lights, and find which headlight is the most pleasing to your eyes and their sensitivities. Next- remember that Armada electrical systems bleed voltage like the Titanic bled flotation! So if your Armada actually gets 100% of it's electrical output to the light bulbs, there may be little difference between perfect oem and standard Nissan leaks like a seive, to after market bulbs. Before I tweaked my electrical system according to all the improvement recommendations plus some, on this forum, I was only getting 10.5 volts at the bulbs.... after tweaking the electrical system, I now get 12.5 minimum at the bulbs. Huge difference! So now I will go through my box of left over odd after market bulbs, and see which ones appear brighter. It may be a competition between silverstar ultras, and some that say xenon on them. if I can find a good offroad vehicle shop, I will look for some 9011 series that fit. being in the Houston area where there is enough light for illegals to drive without headlights to conserve their batteries....I hardly ever use high beams until 100 miles out of town!

#10 ·
I am saving for my quad projector retrofit. Ordered HIDs from ArmaDen for improvement and will aldo use those when I go for the quads.

#13 ·
Do you guys know of any 08 and up after market head lights
not that i want to change mine i was just curious

#14 ·
I have the 6000 PNP kit from Armaden and its a 100% improvment over OEM. I was able to ajust them so that I don't blind everyone and still see a good ways down the road. I have the off road lights wired into my highs with a switch for long stretches.

#16 ·
Thats why I added the HID Off Road lights Pops.

#18 ·
$200.00 One of the Titan guys just put a HID kit in some high quality off road lights.

#21 ·
Howdy ~ I'm looking to upgrade new '11 SV lights to HID. I've been searching for the DIY retrofit explanation to which folks allude and can't find one. Has anyone done one? My apologies for not being able to find it.

I'm looking to illuminate mountain roads at night and in the snow, so I though about doing HID high/low in the existing assembly and then adding HID white aux driving / fog lights and another set of amber fog/driving lights for the heavy snow days.

#22 ·
Rick, get in touch with ArmaDen... The catch with HID kits is that some fade over time so having a quality kit makes a difference. He seems to sell a great kit for the $$$ from what everyone says. Also keep in mind that 4300k is bright white and lights up further down the road than 6000k bluish ones do. (I tried both)

#23 ·
I grabbed a pair of 8Ks from ArmaDen for my Lows and have been absolutely loving them! the install was ridiculously easy!

#25 · (Edited)
HIDs vary a lot by color temp and quality. But pretty much any will be brighter than OEM. An average 35W HID system is about 300% brighter than OEM, but mostly because the side lighting is so much stronger. IOWs a 35W beam is similar in distance but about 3x wider. A 55W HID system is much stronger on the sides and also shines farther down the road.

The HID cutoff line can be problematic with Nissan's typically defective rear air shocks, since the sharp HID safety cutoff line will move up and down with the rear end. This can start out aimed well, then an hour later start to blind oncoming traffic. If you adjust the beam height for the eventual rear shock sag, then you'll start up directing most of the HID light into the ground.

Yet another major safety defect that Nissan ignores.

#26 ·
I have an HID question. I have 5000k's as my lows. Just recently noticed a little flickering in the passenger side bulb. Not very noticeable unless you really focus. Also the drivers side bulb seems to show a hint of purple now instead of a solid white color. Any idea what it could be? Bad bulbs or bad ballest? I admit, its one of those ebay kits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.