Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Biggest/Widest Tire on stock 18" rim pics

39K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  scojo 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm about to buy new tires and I wanted to see if you could post pics of the biggest/widest tire that can fit the stock 18" rim. I want to see how they look that much different then stock. I want to see its worth spending the extra money or just get the factory size.
Thanks a lot

#2 · (Edited)
That's a loaded question because it depends on what kind of lift you have or if you're still stock height. Also depends on which tires you're looking into because different lines are avail in different sizes. These Rims will support a LOT even though it's not documented. Some Titans have put 35x12.5-18's on them and I think that 37x12.5-18 might also fit too although I don't remember seeing it done yet.

First question is what type of tire are you looking for?? Street, A/T, or M/T??

For Street, the Toyo Proxes or Michelin CrossTerrains are pretty sweet.

For mostly street and light OR, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo are pretty sweet.

For good OR and decent street, I LOVE my Nitto TerraGrapplers.

For heavy OR, the Toyo M/T's are awesome along with some others I can list if you're looking in this arena.

The second question is are you staying Stock Height or are you considering any kind of lift??

The third question is how do you feel about MPG's??? I'm down to about 10-12 right now and am considering changing my Spark Plugs along with some fluids to see if it helps a little. If it stays the same, I'm fine with it since it's a small metro here anyway and I don't have to drive too much if I don't want to.

Considering I just finished doing a lot of research before getting mine, I still have quite a bit of info fresh on my mind that I love to share when I can. :D

Here's all my recent Pics: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9927

#3 ·
Pops said:
First question is what type of tire are you looking for?? Street, A/T, or M/T??

For Street, the Toyo Proxes or Michelin CrossTerrains are pretty sweet.

For mostly street and light OR, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo are pretty sweet.

For good OR and decent street, I LOVE my Nitto TerraGrapplers.

For heavy OR, the Toyo M/T's are awesome along with some others I can list if you're looking in this arena.

The second question is are you staying Stock Height or are you considering any kind of lift??

The third question is how do you feel about MPG's??? I'm down to about 10-12 right now and am considering changing my Spark Plugs along with some fluids to see if it helps a little. If it stays the same, I'm fine with it since it's a small metro here anyway and I don't have to drive too much if I don't want to.

Considering I just finished doing a lot of research before getting mine, I still have quite a bit of info fresh on my mind that I love to share when I can. :D

Here's all my recent Pics: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9927
I'm looking for Street, so I guess it would be AT tire.
I still have the stock hight. I'm not planing on doing any lift on the truck so I'm looking for something that can fit fine with stock hight and minimum modifications.
Mostly I would like something that looks wide. The stock tires look to skinny in my opinion
I'm not too concern about MPG. The truck is a weekend driver and I don't drive it much either. I bought it in 04 new and I only have 19K miles :D

Those pics are awesome!!!!

#4 ·
oliver said:
~~ I bought it in 04 new and I only have 19K miles :D
Just curious, do you have the extended warranty on it?

If not, you would be the first person that I have heard of where the 36month warranty ran out before they got 36K miles on it! WOW!

#5 · (Edited)
Here's some ideas that I know of with good road manners then:

TOYO Proxes ST 305/60-R18 120V - http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_Proxes_ST_305_60R18_120V_P1686.cfm

Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO P275/65-R18 - http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/GlamourIndex_BS_EN.aspx?ProductID=1055

Nitto TerraGrappler 285/60-18 - http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Eterragrappler%2Esizes

These are all around a 32" diameter and 11"-12" tire width which sounds like where you want to be.

You can fit a Nitto TerraGrappler 325/60-18 like mine but they are 33" diameter and 13" wide and will stick out past the fender edge and you will be more likely to need to do the Pinch-Weld Mod to clear them while turning. A lot of the other tires avail stop at the stock width for an 18" rim.

Hope this helps a little. It should at least give you some sizes to shop for and keep us posted on what you find.

#6 ·
BlackSpyda:
YEah.. I bought the extended warranty. I still have one year before it expires :)

Pops:
Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. Those toyo tires look nice!!

ANybody has more pics of wide tires on factory 18" rims?

#8 ·
norcal05SE said:
check pop's pics, hes got the 13.5" wide tires on stockers. i've seen the 285-60s on stockers as well and that looks sweet!!!
thats good to hear. i plan on changing my tires next month, and 285/60s was the size i was going to use. i've narrowed it down to the Falken S/TZ 04 tires which would be a practical choice considering their all season rated.... but i'm still thinking about the BF Goodrich KDW NT2 coz it has that aggressive, one of kind tire tread pattern. plus, i've used those tires in the past several times and the grip is simply amazing, even in the rain. only downside is their not made for winter use.

#9 · (Edited)
primoV8 said:
thats good to hear. i plan on changing my tires next month, and 285/60s was the size i was going to use. i've narrowed it down to the Falken S/TZ 04 tires which would be a practical choice considering their all season rated.... but i'm still thinking about the BF Goodrich KDW NT2 coz it has that aggressive, one of kind tire tread pattern. plus, i've used those tires in the past several times and the grip is simply amazing, even in the rain. only downside is their not made for winter use.
I just put some Falken S/TZ 01 on Wifey's Murano recently and only went with them to save $$$$. I would recommend the Falkens only for saving $$$$ because there are a couple of sacrafices.

They feel like they have a high TWI (saves $$$) because the tread rubber is hard. Traction is Ok (sacrafice), I'm glad I went wider for her because they get about the same traction as the cheapo OEM Goodyears which is pretty decent. They are a little noisy due to being wider and harder rubber but the sticker was cheap compared to most available.

I don't know enough about the BFG's to comment about them but I would suggest getting the Toyo Proxes over the Falkens if you can spring for the extra $$$$. - Just my $.02

#10 ·
thanks Pops.. was never a fan of Toyos, since they were the only set of tires i ever had problems with in the past. i had them on a set of 18s for my accord, and they didn't last long. they didn't protect the rims either and the only time i ever bent a rim was when i had Toyos on them. too bad Falken doesn't carry the Azenis tire line for suvs coz then i wouldn't have to think about the other tires.

#11 ·
primoV8 said:
.... too bad Falken doesn't carry the Azenis tire line for suvs coz then i wouldn't have to think about the other tires.
That's like me with the Nitto NT450's, the very best set of tires I ever owned. I put over 60k on them and sold the car with them on and almost 1/2 the tread still left on.

#13 ·
PICS!!

I'm looking at tire options also. I'm leaning toward the BFG T/A KO2 275/70-18. Specs say they are 33.2" overall diameter and 11" section width on 8" rim width. Dunno if they will rub..

#15 ·
Almost wish i went with little bigger and would have fit 34's but these ride awesome and fit with no issue with minimal loss of mpg. Very happy and look way better than stock tires.

Attachments

#16 ·
Scojo - those look great!

I do have a small lift, so hopefully new tires clear the front outside edge of the wheel well where of all the spaces around the tires, that is the smallest.

I do like the Nittos. I've been seeing them on so many trucks since I started looking for tires!

#18 ·
I am looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in size: LT295/70R18 E 129/126Q

The spec sheet at Nitto's web site (here) says this tire is 34.29" overall dia, 11.77" wide and fits best on 8.5" rim.

I have a 08 SE 4x4, no auto leveling with 2" lift and OEM wheels (8.0" width)

The spec sheet provides the data at 80 psi. That sounds high. My tires currently are inflated at about 40psi.

What is the deal with 80 psi??

Can anyone comment on fit or rubbing issues on this size tire??

thx!

#19 ·
When i was shopping around local Tire shop said those would fit with no issues but i dont know for sure. Rim size is fine, same 8.5 i have w no issues and read many others do it with no issues. As far as psi my tire installer said go 35 psi, max 40 psi. Mine say max is around 80 psi but they said never to inflate that much, not sure why though. Wish i would have went 34, 33's look kind of small still imo.

#20 · (Edited)
I ended up putting Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on. 275/70/R18.

They look great and fit without rubbing. The Nitto site specs the tire at 33.18" overall diameter and on my truck, with the OEM molded mud flaps on the front, there is a little space left for a bigger tire, but not much. Possibly 3/8" when the steering wheel is turned a little bit to get the tire edge closest to the flaps.

I called Nitto and a tech there told me the recommended tire pressure is 48 psi for an 08' Armada SE

2 1/2" lift with PRG rear spacers and new tires

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.