Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Minor shake at idle

25K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
Hello,

We just started noticing an odd shaking in our 2013 Armada. When stopped in traffic or say at a traffic light, we can feel something odd in the engine. The RPM's aren't jumping, but something just seems odd. It's almost like a bass vibration type of sound/feeling. No CEL or OBDII codes have been generated so I'm not sure what's going on.

Possibly a bad plug, but the car only has 20k on it.

Any other thoughts?

#2 ·
Hello,

We just started noticing an odd shaking in our 2013 Armada. When stopped in traffic or say at a traffic light, we can feel something odd in the engine. The RPM's aren't jumping, but something just seems odd. It's almost like a bass vibration type of sound/feeling. No CEL or OBDII codes have been generated so I'm not sure what's going on.

Possibly a bad plug, but the car only has 20k on it.

Any other thoughts?

My '04 does the same thing. It has been doing it for the last probably 80,000 miles.

#3 ·
Must be normal, My 2010 has done it since we got it. Kinda like a base vibration not bad but its felt, I just think of it like a Hot rod rumble. hasn't changed 52k now has 65k.. Dang this thing is quick off the Line..

#4 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm a bit miffed that "it seems normal" only because it didn't do it for the last 7k miles and just started suddenly and is very prominent.

It's still under warranty for another 16k so I may just let it go until a CEL is thrown... It almost feels like a failing plug/coil or possibly injector issue....

I'll run some techron through it, and possibly consider changing out the plugs to see how they look... Fairly cheap PM...

#9 ·
I think I will.. but it's one of those things where I can hear them saying "it didn't do it for us" because I cannot consistently notice it myself (it's my wife's daily driver). She thinks it might have something to do with activating the dual zone climate control.

I need to drive it a few days myself I suppose.

#11 ·
is there any correlation to this happening when your AC/defrost compressor kicks on? I'll feel extra vibration in the steering wheel on my 04 when this happens with the truck gear, foot on the brake and the compressor kicks on. The compressor is just putting extra load on the engine at the moment. Won't notice it at higher revs. If so normal stuff.

#13 ·
Just some updates... It seems like the front and rear passengers can feel the vibration the most. Someone suggested the HVAC compressor maybe. And i'll just say that once the weather started turning cold, I thought my system was acting odd. Sometimes I can feel a cold draft inside the car even with the temp set to 75. If I bump it to 77, then I have some heat.

Maybe there's something strange with the HVAC system...

It's heading to the dealer on Dec 22nd.. It's so intermittent, I kinda anticipating "no trouble found" to be the diagnosis.

#14 ·
I doubts its normal, But do not have a clue as to what it is, Ours is not bad but does vibrate like a hummmm just a little bit. Can't tell any difference when ac/heat is on. Will be interesting to hear the fix, Thanks for keeping us posted.

#16 ·
Well.. as I expected, the technicians couldn't find anything wrong. :( They put 25 miles on the truck trying to reproduce the issue and nothing... All I can say is we didn't notice anything like this during the summer, and now that the weather turned cold, we do. My wife is convinced it's somehow related to the dual zone climate control but we still cannot consistently reproduce the vibration.

Apparently we just have to deal with it and when people ask "what's wrong with your truck!?" we'll just have to tell them it's Nissan-Normal!

#18 ·
Mine does it too. Now 108k. I wondered if it had to do with my cracked manifold or air/fuel ratio being off due to leak. However I now have UPREV and Cajuns and it still does it occasionally.

#19 ·
I think its exhaust related maybe due to everything being crammed so close into the chassis, A rumble vibration like a hot rod rumble is how our 2010 feels to me so its not bother at all as I like the results when I step on the gas pedal, Instant torque and go factor helps me look over luxury quirks.. But that's just me.
Brewder , My 2010 does it all the time with ac/heat controls off, Might take ours to a dealer and see if I can get a Nissan tech to check it out just sitting in parking lot it rumbles minor vibration, what's strange is the motor idles good without any roughness.. noise besides the rumble we feel underneath the body.

#21 ·
I agree. It is the air compressor for the ride control. I feel/hear mine in my feet (on the floor). I looked under the 'Mada at the compressor as it was running once and noticed that it was bouncing around. It appears that there is a little rubber grommet near the rear that a supporting bolt runs through. My grommet is shot and pump is vibrating and moving more than it should. That is where the noise is coming from on mine. I haven't sourced a replacement grommet yet. I'll report back when I replace it.

#24 ·
I have a hitch, but I don't believe I have the "big tow package" and the SV model does NOT come with air suspension.

Yesterday we confirmed that when we feel the vibration, it immediately stops when the HVAC system is turned off... It's definitely the compressor but the deal feels it's all normal. All we can do is hope it fails before the warranty runs out.

#25 ·
Mine ('08, 105k miles) does it intermittently. It's done it off and on since I've owned it (bought it 3 yrs ago with 60k). If I had to describe mine, it feels like a vibration as if I was revving the engine 1200-1500 rpms or so in park, but every time the idle is at the right speed. I'll usually feel it and then immediately look down to see my tach. And I don't know that it's related to my a/c or suspension - I've never noticed a rhyme or reason, but at the same time it's not very noticeable and doesn't seem like a big deal, so never gave it much thought.

#27 ·
You can find new air suspension parts including new mounting isolators at Suncor industries.

I've had a vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal for a couple years and thought it might be my motor mounts going bad. Had a couple people mechanics check and they seem to think it was the trans mount instead. I just had that replaced and it has made a difference as the vibration has reduced by maybe half. I decided on oem nissan from the dealer $150 and it was an hour labour. It's not a hard job but it's winter and I didn't feel like tackling this in the cold.

#28 ·
normal rough idle 2011 Armada I don't think so!

I know what everyone is talking about this is the second time I have taken my 2011 Armada in for this issue. You stop at a light or put it in park and the thing sounds like a diesel engine... My car has 44k and it did not start doing the shake until about 32k so to say this is normal no way! A car that cost this much to sit and have my 15 year old daughter actually ask what's wrong with your car dad sounds like a old junker! The first time they said the shop Nissan dealer we didn't here anything. And I actually bought there excuse not this time. To read of soo many people having the same problem this is unexceptable! We need to stand up as a group of loyal Nissan customers and demand resolution to except this is crazy... I'm not I'll keep everyone informed

#31 ·
Nissan sucks

I'm like the rest of you, I've taken me POS 2011 Platinum with 43k miles into the dealer and then a local mechanic. They couldn't find anything. My climate control is off every time I have this problem. At first it seem to only happen in gear and a stop light, now I'm feeling a vibration driving or stopped and now loss of power, I have to punch the gas pedal for it to down shift. I replaced the plugs, clean the MAF, changed octane, gas cleaners etc....
Plain an simple, Nissan puts out crap. I've had 2 Armadas, '05 and now a '11. I will never buy another Nissan or a jap crap car again. Going back to Ford.

#32 ·
I'm like the rest of you, I've taken me POS 2011 Platinum with 43k miles into the dealer and then a local mechanic. They couldn't find anything. My climate control is off every time I have this problem. At first it seem to only happen in gear and a stop light, now I'm feeling a vibration driving or stopped and now loss of power, I have to punch the gas pedal for it to down shift. I replaced the plugs, clean the MAF, changed octane, gas cleaners etc....
Plain an simple, Nissan puts out crap. I've had 2 Armadas, '05 and now a '11. I will never buy another Nissan or a jap crap car again. Going back to Ford.
A little extreme aren't we? I have an 04 and mine is fine. A little googling will tell you it's designed and made in the US by US workers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.