Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

High winds crashed/mangled our armada using neighbors Trampoline

9K views 56 replies 17 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got in from work and Heard a major crash outside, open the door and went to my knees in disbelief ..Our Neighbors Trampoline laying on top of my wifes New to us Armada, Winds Picked it up from 40 feet away had to have been flying 20 foot high to land across the roof top. Just hoping our Neighbors renters insurance will cover it. Were speechless, only good side is its drivable.
Passengers side mirror is busted cant see it in photo.. We had to lift Trampoline up and let her drive out from under it. We were in panic mode trying to get it off so I didn't get a photo of trampoline on the Armada..It must have lifted up like a parachute..
Big winds here in NC this evening so my wife moved her Armada away from some big oak trees we have in the front yard and near the carport she normally parks in. and a freakin Large Trampoline crashes down on the roof, Not sure how its repairable, Messed my F150 pickup up to..iTS THE BIG TRAMPOLINE WITH THE NET SIDING.. Here's a few pictures this is sickning, My wife is crying.. and in shock.. She pampers her 2010 Armada.
The damage looks worse in person than in photos, the top is dented and chrome racks are scratched.. we don't know what to do, She wants it fixed by a Nissan Dealer, this 2010 Titanium was Mint less than 5 hours ago now its torn all up.. Neighbors says he will cover it even if he has to pay outa pocket, were calling out auto Insurance same as Home owners in morning.. This is freaking sad.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, man, I feel your pain. My wife would be the same if this happened to her truck. Nissan dealer won't fix it, but make sure you use a reputable body shop. Hopefully she'll be back good as new!

#5 ·
So Nissan don't offer a body shop service, That's even worse. This is heart breaking.. our Armada was show room new..:crying:

#3 ·
Dang! Glad it didn't get you add you were walking in!! Good on your neighbor for offering... here's to hoping it'll all get fixed smoothly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Yea I had just walked in and 2 min later sounded like the carport was falling in.. I sandwiched the Armada in between my F150 and my work dodge 5500..Strange event..

#6 ·
Thanks for the info.. I know its a Freak Accident but its not going to be a cheap repair.. I explained to him this is a 40K vehicle I know its used with 54K right now but WOW it was like New...Were both Sad, This is the nicest Automobile we have ever owned..

#8 ·
Prime opportunity to get a "GOOD hood" :) trying to help find the positive..

#10 ·
At least you both are OK. Rest assured you will end up with a beautiful armada again. I would get in writing that your neighbor offered to pay for it just in case something changes.

#11 ·
Oh no. Wow. I am very sorry to hear this. Mother nature some damage. That really sucks. I hope they can fix it for you guys.

I also feel your pain.

#12 ·
Took a half day of due to being sick, Yes this is a hard pill to choke down!! Took the kid to school in the armada to check everything out mechanical, All seemed fine when driving except for the passengers mirror being wacked out and being distorted, will not trim in only out.

I followed my wife to the Nissan preferred Collision center they use. Its right beside the Local Nissan dealer. Got a Estimate with using Nissan OEM parts. 10 Grand in parts and repairs, that's if the roof can be repaired . if not its 1 Grand more to have roof cut off and replaced. 100% Lifetime repairs till the vehicle goes to the scrap yard in writing. they been in business for over 25 years family owned and operated. Talked to the Owner personally explained how Important this SUV is for our family and it was the Nicest Automobile we have ever owned. He assured me customer satisfaction..

there 3 weeks behind and will need the Armada for 3 month.
Gold Class I car Nissan certified collision repair center, My wife is taking a stance on using only New oem Nissan parts and getting the truck back looking new like it was .
She is meeting with our Insurance in morning, we have full coverage comp and collision still waiting on our Neighbors Insurance to call us, Starting to get Pissed..
Whats bad on top of all this I had my wife get an estimate on my Lariat F150 4x4 and its 6 Grand needs a entire re paint due to gouges and scratches. Here is some more photos.
Here is the Trampoline..

#13 ·
Men that sure suck, glad you are ok, when you do your claim see if they will cover the devalue of you rig, once it goes to the dealer or a shop for that amount of damage a carfax will show when you do a vin check. Good luck to you and your wife, tell her it's going to be like a scar that goes away after plastic surgery. Hope your neighbor don't chicken out.

#14 ·
Thanks for the info, Yea this really pisses me off about it all. I don't have many options, My F150 took 5 grand of damage, I don't want it totaled out. Its a 2001 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 110K not worth much on the open market but it is to me, its been a rock solid truck and low maintenance cost..Now the cabs crushed in 1.5 inches and hood and passengers side scraped/gauged up:crying:

#15 ·
Sorry to hear that. Be prepared for a fight as they may consider this a no fault or act of god.

As an example, two of my neighbors trees fell on my house in a wind storm, I had to pay for the damage out of my insurance including a $1000 deductible.

Needless to say I don't speak to her anymore. Hopefully you will fare better.

I bought my gf the same trampoline but put cinder blocks on all the legs. I suggest you tell your neighbor to do the same.

Best of luck.

#17 ·
We have a claim number from the neighbors Renters Insurance, My wife went postal on the Insurance co when they called her and said that the Trampoline was tied down, She cursed him out and handed me the phone. I got all of us on the phone all 3 of us including the neighbor, he told his Insurance co it was not Tied/anchored down.. So his Insurance co excepted full responsibility, We will see when Our Truck/suv gets fixed and looks like new again..

#18 ·
Man, this really sucks. But glad to see you will get it fixed. I hope they get your wife's car back to as new.

#19 ·
Thanks, Yea us to. Were on pins and needles hoping for the best.

#20 ·
Make sure you keep us updated! Los like your neighbor has so far kept to his words. :) Here's to hoping that continues.

Sometimes it is helpful to have the wide give people an earful and then walk away so you can come in and seem super reasonable in your demands. Haha

#21 ·
Well the fun has begun, The Neighbors insurance company sent there own Auto adjuster out today it is a well known company .. WTF these people are on Acid Wrote the Estimate up on the Armada using Ebay used parts, I am soooo pissed off right now, Quoted the Luggage rails at $38.00 per rail, the other 2 body shops quoted same part at $320 bucks each per rail. Plainly states all parts will be aftermarket and if the aftermarket part fails it will be replaced with factory oem parts free of charge..I just left the Idiot a voice message to call me, Doubt I will hear back, they want me to go ahead and take the Armada and my F150 to the Body shops we chose, Guess I will be calling his boss or the Company rep tomorrow.. I hate dealing with Idiots!!

#22 ·
I just hope those people fix your cars right. sucks how they want to use really cheaper parts when the car had OEM parts.

#23 ·
0:):nerd:yep my taughts exactly. With the depreciation and paper trail i have 2 4x4's not worth much more than metal scrap according to these idiots.. this insurance has no respect for property and hard work..i called his boss today and requested someone with a brain..75 bucks for a complete passengers side mirror complete..china cant make one for that cheap!!!..

#26 ·
Most definately, go through your insurance company and let them go after the other company. That's the only way you'll get full compensation. Trying to do it on your own will never get you anywhere with the "idiots". They only go by what they're instructed to do by their headquarters.

#27 ·
Yea we talked to our Insurance company and they also use these After market parts unless the part fails..Err by then its to late.
we pay the extra for OEM replacement now that we found this out.
I had a Supervisor from Liberty Mutual, Yea this is the ompany were dealing with call me today and he Boldly told me that the Auto body shop we chose would have to accept the price the Adjuster drew up which is $2700 bucks vs $10,000 from our preffered shops quote, I ask him if he replaced a headlight for 50 bucks that said Made in Tawain would he stand behind it..He said he couldn't control the quality of the part..I said ok and the $35 buck Armada Mirror that the other 2 shops quoted at $355 bucks. He boldly said if our adjuster found it for $35 bucks its available and we are using it.. He said No Insurance will replace parts with OEM if the car/truck is more than 1 year old.. So theres a 1 year threshold ..I told him he and his company were Idiots , Well I got all the info I needed to know about this co.. We will see where it goes from here...

#29 ·
Yep we did and there not, In the state of NC By law if a Insurance co uses any type of after market part it has to have certification papers stating its as good or better than oem parts in the auto body industry, there Adjuster is the most Incompenent person I ever talked to and he has 18 years of experience, but of course his boss is hitting him across his head not to spend any money. Me and his boss got into it today, I told him he was a cheap sob and I expect my Armada to get fixed with Factory OEM parts or better. end of story, He basically told me he don't give 2 craps about me and I didn't have a option in the matter, We will see.. I warned him I wasn't some dumb Hillbilly. There arrogance is Breath taken. The Armada goes into the shop on Monday. :nerd:

#30 ·
Can't hardly wait to see how this plays out... is your armada financed at all? If it is... it might be in your interest to get the bank in on your side... they have a vested interest in it if it's financed.

#31 · (Edited)
Yep it is, first thing I financed in years:crying: its 3 months old to us now I have full comp/collision on it. I was driving the armada around tonight looking up at the perfect headliner and perfect Interior and hating the fact all that plus the air bags will have to be stripped down to repair roof. A older lady had this Armada and she kept it prestine now this..
Just hope the shop I'm using will do a Jam up job as promised, The owner said it will be in his shop for around 2 months.. Curious to see what kind of rental we get. I requested a new armada from the Nissan dealer its withing walking distance of the body shop, there listing a path finder or Exterra on the Nissan site, doubt a newer armada is available. Monday is going to be a intense day, My wife is not going to want to give up her Armada for something else. I have never seen a women so protective over a car like she is over this one. So believe me she will be checking on it regular and making sure the POS parts don't get put on. She is 114 lbs of pure whits, and smarts and the Insurance co has pissed in her new leather seats the way there acting, this might go Nation wide, She shoulda been An Attorney, A real life Modern day Erin Brocovich, I warned them so we will see how this plays out.. I'm very pissed off. Its not just a SUV to us , Its a member of our family now!!

#32 ·
This situation does suck and I'm somewhat surprised that they're being penny wise/pound foolish on a pretty new truck. Yet that's how insurance companies make their $$$. Would you want to pay double/triple premiums to ensure OEM parts? I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Did you check your policy before this situation to see what their replacements parts would be? I know that I haven't!

You do need to move off this "it's a member of my family" BS. It's not. It's a piece of metal that can ultimately be replaced. Would anybody in your family choose the Armada over one another? Emotion gets you nowhere in something like this. Cool demeanors and rational thoughts will take the day.

Has your neighbor said much about this? Although it was an act of nature, it was his negligence that allowed this to happen.

#33 · (Edited)
Keg Its a figure of speech only, I know its just a Hunk of Metal, point is we all in our family have grown to Love the Armada this Suv and hate to see it all torn up.. Stuff happens.
The point is they act like they don't give 2 shitz what parts they use or it lasting or being as safe as it was before all this happened. If I run my Job like that I wouldn't last 10 minutes as I work on 1 Million Dollar Machines all the time, I take pride in customer satisfaction, Quality of work and safety for my customers. This has opened my eyes to the Jerks in the Insurance business. And as for me being cool Headed I am. Just getting all my ducks in a row. I have rights as a Consumer to have repairs on both vehicles at the shop of my chosen and to have OEM or equal certification with paper work only be used.. I am by no means trying to stick it to the Insurance co. I don't want to even see any money. just want them to allow the body shop to make all repairs needed.
Heck I was being lenient with them I have house Damage they can repair now due to them being Jerks and trying to Bully me around. My neighbor offered to fix.
I'm sure if your QX got hammered by a Flying RC airplane or something you would be wanting the QX to be fixed correctly and as safe and look as good as it did before the Accident, Just sayin..
Yes the Neighbor has offered to do what he can if it comes down to that but he wanted us to submit a claim since our 2 estimates were around 17 grand.
For what premiums already cost now, Yes I kinda expect OEM or better parts to be used. Not the made in Taiwan parts or salvage from wrecks I was told by this Insurance co can be used. Can anyone find a passengers side mirror for $35 with remote in out and tilt with defrost to fit the Armada, Or a headlight assembly for $75, its what the Adjuster Idiot wrote up, I ask his boss ok what if the light don't last but a few years he told me it was he couldn't control how long the parts lasted they used.. Complete crap and Cheap. This is my point. Its BS!!!

#34 ·
I hear you and understand some of your points, but some of your other points get lost in the emotion dripping from each post. Pick your battles.

Is it vital that you get another Armada as a rental instead of the Pathfinder or Xterra? If so, make the simple statement, "I'm bringing you an Armada in for work and I expect an Armada back while that work is being done". Add some BS if you need to that you tow 7-8K in something and an Xterra/Pathfinder won't cut it. Keep it rational.

Why are you fighting to get OEM roof rack rails? Are you even going to use the doggone things? Could you tell the difference between OEM and 3rd party? Insurance deductibles are high b/c of the inflated prices for parts. I'd much rather push for OEM headlights (or even upgrade them on my own) than roof rack rails.

You ask what I'd do if my QX (or any of my vehicles) were banged up. Honestly, I'd fight for what I could, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I would make the business decision to trade the truck in on something else as soon as I got it back though. The wife is already eying up the new 2015 Escalade!

#35 · (Edited)
I understand your points. Point is I we me and my wife want the Armada fixed and back to its Original state before all this happened, Yes We use the Roof Racks when we make trips down to Texas.
I have a Coleman Hard case carrier its very nice to keep luggage up top and keep the cabin free from Luggage, we carry a cooler and snacks with us in cabin when we go on long trips. The Armada will be filled up and sometimes pull a 12x6 Enclosed with toys, Atv's and dirt bikes. We did the same with the Expy. Yea the Escalade is very nice. It would be hard for me to not buy a QX80 vs the Escalade love the Interior of the QX80 the shell is growing on me. I have kids in college trading right now is not an option, I shouldn't have to . How the Wins shield did not bust on either vehicle is a mystery, The Armada is tuff, the Roof racks saved it from being a total wreck, The entire trampoline was slammed down on top of the Armada and my truck, Surprised the air bags didn't deploy, So I guess we were lucky we can still drive them. We will request an Armada, And for my F150 rental while its in shop also I will request a Pickup for hauling around stuff. We tend to keep our Vehicles for a while had the Expy for 9 years plan on keeping the Armada at least that long. Just want it fixed right and not hacked up. You should watch vids and research After market vs OEM, there is some Junk out there and I want stand for it to be Installed on our Like new Armada or my Truck. Nothing wrong with the stock Factory lights or mirrors in my opinion. Nissan built a good SUV and used Quality parts on the Armada. But right now the Passengers door is crinkled and rusting.

#37 ·
Not sure who your insurance company is but if you have the option to go with USAA in the future, I would. They have opened up their qualifications to extended family (not sure on specifics) and it would be worth checking them out if you fit their membership criteria. I have had a couple of comprehensive claims through them and they never disappoint me. Always treat me like I'm the only person that is currently doing business with them. I know for a fact they don't get bullied either and will deal directly with the other insurance company and with the repair facility on your behalf. As far as picking your battles, F*** that. Crap parts weren't on it before, why should they be put on now? That's like having something happen to your kitchen stove under warranty and saying, "Nah bro its cool, just give me a hot plate and we'll call it even."

#38 · (Edited)
I agree 100%. My armada was Mint not a scratch on it before, the Interior is like show room new, even the under carriage is Show room clean, These companies try to skimp and save pennies when they have to pay out for any claims, I just expect to the repairs to be original replacement parts not some Taiwan crap, The trampoline did a hammer job on my roof and side carport it bout torn it down, Now they can replace my house roof or try like Heck to match it. The Insurance is on my neighbors policy, his renters Insurance .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.