Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada/QX56 Rear Shock Air to Gas Conversion, Auto-Leveling

59K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  abnranger67 
#1 ·
So I just did the Infamous Armada/QX56 Auto-Leveling, Rear Air shock to Gas Conversion using Suncore Industries Air to Gas conversion setup. Its been on now for about a month and I will say I immediately noticed an improvement in ride quality and extra handling. I know there is much discussion and complaints regarding the faulty Nissan Air Shocks and auto-leveling system which is why I elected to just go ahead and do away with the whole setup on my QX56. The shocks are a little pricey at a staggering 250-300 (Depending where you get them from) but hey, usually you get what you pay for right? About me, Im just your average daily driver who occasionally tows anywhere from 1000 lbs. up to 6000 lbs. The roll and sway that I had been experiencing prior to the installation is now just about nonexistent. A few weeks before this I installed a set of Bilstein HD's on the front which I have had a lot of luck with in the past on my Armada. The install was pretty easy and I will include High-Res pics below but I am still experiencing one problem-My pump still kicks on everytime I start the engine. In the Installation instructions it mentions that this will go away after the shocks are installed because the vehicle will be sitting at the proper height. I took precautions to leave everything intact as I didn't want to do anything that would permanently disable something that I may want to have back in the future. Anybody have a solution to this that will prevent the pump from coming on but not trigger the CK SUSP Light?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you replace the springs too?

I to have the auto leveling thateKs and just bout raybestoa springs and rancho shocks.

If I would have seen this earlier prob
Would have gotten this set but I wanted Somthing with some lift.

Under heavy load/tow does your armada squat in the back ?

#4 ·
Armada, QX56, Rear Auto-Leveling Replacement Kit under heavy load

Ok so here are some pics of the QX under a pretty heavy load, the trailer being used is a 20' solid steel trailer that is very heavy by itself with a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee on it. As you can see the suncore industries gas replacement shocks squat under heavy loads. If your interested in getting them for normal daily driving with light towing these would be your best bet. However if your a heavy tower than you might want to go with some of the other options mentioned on here. Me personally I rarely ever tow anything like this so they work just fine. Ive been using them for a couple months now and the ride quality is great. Going around curves, especially on-ramps it does well and has a nice tight feel to it. No more swaying and rocking like before. It was a worthwhile investment at around 300 dollars and I dont regret it one bit. They installed very easy and I was back on the road in no time.
:machinegu

Attachments

#3 ·
No I only replaced the shocks as I was pretty sure the springs would just be overkill and couldnt justify shelling out an additional $200+ on this. I did debate the issue and did alot of research on the topic though. Under a moderate load (2000-3000#) it does just fine and I cant really notice any difference. I have yet to pull anything heavier than this but will document my experience on this post as soon as I have. As far as ride quality and handling goes it really does handle and ride so much smoother. At just over 117k miles my next step will be to replace all factory suspension parts on the front end and then the rear. Im buying what I need a few items at a time such as Ball Joints, Control Arms, etc. I plan on driving this thing for many years to come and Ive always enjoyed improving my ride. I may pull a Heavy Duty trailer with the wifes Grand Cherokee on it tomorrow and document my results for any members who may be debating on what to do with theirs. Hope this advice helps you out.

#5 ·
How are the Suncore rear shocks holding up? I just ordered a set after having the back sagging and the dealership telling me the compressor isn't building pressure. I've also done a bit of reading and it seems the air shocks on the Nissans/Infinitis are somewhat prone to issues(confirmed by the dealership). I don't tow much at all, so the auto leveling isn't a must. I'm fairly handy, how difficult are these to install? Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
They're actually pretty easy to install. If you've got an impact that will make it 10x easier. I'm still pretty happy with the ride quality also. Make sure to anti-seize everything along the way for future work. Oh yeah and I used the tire as a prop to hold assembly up while I was swapping them out. Should only take ya about an hour or so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 · (Edited)
I bought the Rancho 5000s and Moog springs to replace my failed rear air suspension and ran into a problem. After letting PB Blaster work on the shock nuts for a couple of hours, I broke two 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapters trying to turn the bolt with a 3/8" 19mm socket and an impact drill and breaker bar. I went out and bought a 1/2" 19mm socket so I could put it directly on the breaker bar. Well, I broke the breaker bar where the socket attaches. I then put my foot on the frame and gave it another go with the 1/2" socket wrench and finally got it to start turning. Unfortunately, the nut was turning too. How? They welded a bracket on the nut side to keep the nut from turning, but I managed to round off the nut in the bracket I guess. Anybody else have trouble breaking this nut loose? Any recommendations?

Attachments

#18 ·
I have and like them however, I must say, not the best replacement if you have a 2-3 in mini lift. The shock over extends and well, that's not optimal.

I wish PRG or someone reputable will make those rear shock extensions that some people have fabricated and allow to keep auto-level and fixed the shock over extension problem.

#20 · (Edited)
I just got the shocks.

And just yesterday I install the Moog 81085 HD spring and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I thought my rig was untestable and all because maybe the shocks were over extending but It turns out my coil springs where just a little worn out!!

In handles great now and I gain 2" lift

#21 ·
Hi,
after searching for ever after my air shocks died found another nice option from Greg w/ PRG. Greg has "Armada Airbag Delete 2 inch lift" setup on his site. Is Moog spring and Bilstein shock for rear to get rid of air shocks for good. Will give 2 inch lift with out the spacer. He has it on his site for $479 for rear shock, spring, and 5100's for front. I only needed rear so he did rear spring and shock for $300 shipped. Had to call few times to order w/o front shocks but well worth it. Will let you know how it rides after installed :)

#23 ·
Greg actually does not have right kit and found out the hard way. Finding after talking with many people rancho shock for rear is best option and spring that is best is moog 81085. Bilstein doesnt make one for our armadas. Bought a bilstein from 4x4.com and valving way too soft and bouncy. Found rancho on mid 5 setting works way better from other subscriber on here. Can get all on amazon.

#24 ·
OK, I am a bit confused here, lol. I am ready to convert my 08 QX56, so what should I get at a minimum, just shocks or both shocks and springs? I see some got Moogs, and some got the Suncore. I know it may come down to what I wan to spend or what kind of ride I want. While I don't mind spending the money, don't want to break the bank either, lol. I welcome your suggestions. The ride currently is not too bad, but they found a small leak and recommend that I either fix it or do the conversion. I know the compressor is rather loud, not sure if that is anything to be concerned about.

#25 ·
I made the conversion from auto lvl to the Suncore Gas shock and Im happy with it. Remember the shock alone will not fix the sagging. If you ride is sagging I will recommend the upgrade to the moogs. I personally do A LOT of towing so the moogs were a no brainier (I have the firestone bags inside the moogs also).
No complains about the shocks but On my previous Mada I had the ajustable ranchos and I kind of miss them. I tow a lot but also go Off-Roading and is my wife daily driver. I already close to 50k miles on this gas shocks and I will probably get the ranchos when the time comes.

That's just my two cents.

#27 ·
Right now I am running the Suncore gas shocks (I paid $160 on Ebay back then) in combination with the moog 81085 coil spring (which is rated at 535lbs vs 3XXlbs of the stock, this will automatically give you 2in lift because the weight of your rig won't compress the spring that easy). The springs are not expensive at all, I paid $89 on ebay, and they are very easy to change.

And my Mada is an 2008 also ?

#28 ·
For those looking at Suncore shocks, they're just re-branded Monroe OE replacement shocks but priced much higher. You can get those Monroe shocks from RockAuto.com for less than $90/pair.

#30 ·
I have been searching on here and wow there is alot of info on the whole auto leveling suspension. My wifes 04 Armada LE has the auto leveling on the rear. Well the bags are all dry rotted and the air compressor has basically turned to dust. So from what Ive read on here if I wanted to get rid of the air leveling I would need the Moog 81085 springs, but what shocks would I need specifically part numbers would be great. And would I have to use the airbags in the springs?

#31 ·
The conversion itself does not require the moog spring.

You can do the conversion just by installing new shocks and disconnecting the auto-leveling sensor (that is located by the air compressor on rear driver side).

As far a what kind of shocks I would recommend the Ranchos RS9000XL, they are adjustable. When I did my conversion I used the Suncore Gas Shock, they are ok but I had the Ranchos on my previous Armada and I liked them better.

Months later I did the Moog springs and just recently I added the firestone bags but only because I tow a lot. The springs will give you a little lift (around 2") so if you are looking for that them I highly recommend them.

#32 ·
Actually, either the Moog 81085, Nissan SE/Non Big-tow, or Napa equivalent rear coils are needed when converting to the non-auto leveling rear; the LE coils are too soft and about a coil shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.