Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

service engine soon light

87K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
hey guys and gals, my service engine soon light came on a few days ago. It's an '06 with just over 11,000 miles on it. Servicing isn't due for about another 700 miles, is this the "norm" for the light to be on? The rig feels and drives the same. Thanks in advance.

#29 · (Edited)
I tried it on my '09 armada-SES light came on 2 weeks after getting new Flomaster exhaust put on it. I can't figure out the numbers though. I video taped it and counted 2 long, 11(yes,11) short, 10 short, 3 short. What the does the 11 mean? I can count and watched many times but am stumped. Does the 11 mean the exhaust is louder than a Spinal Tap concert?

#30 ·
well an old thread, but i think it is still applicable... my SEL came on last night as i started it to go home from work. i took it by the local autozone & he pulled the code(s) from it... all the codes he said had already been fixed & that there were no new codes from the light. sooo i checked the gas cap per threads on here & still this morning after sitting all night the light is still on (is constant always_if matters). i am very afraid that it is something ot do with emmissions & i am wondering if anyone on here might have any suggestions for how to "pinpoint" what the issue/problem may be?? the vehicle is a 2004 2WD SE Armada with approx. 160,000 miles....

any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks!!!

#32 · (Edited)
We just got the oil changes the other day at the dealer and on the way home the SEL light came on. Called the dealer and said it has nothing to do with the oil change and can only be emission related. Vehicle is an 09 with 66k miles so they said I would have to pay to scan.

I went by autozone and they checked with their scan tool and there was a link error. Went to discount auto parts and they got the same link error.

The DIY did give me code 0455 which according to the chart is EVAP GROSS LEAK, any clue what this means?

EDIT:

P0455 NISSAN - EVAP Control System Gross Leak Detected

Possible causes

- Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking

I did try tightening the gas cap before even though we did not get gas before or after oil change. I also added gas and retightened and the light did not go off.

#33 ·
More than likely it is the gas cap. It does not go of immediately. Again, I mentioned in the post preceding yours. You have to put some miles on, "normal driving" (primarily city) before the computer will reset. The gas cap was probably taken of as part of a "courtesy" inspection. I was told by a service advisor that on our (Nissan) vehicles, six clicks on the cap secures it. Less than that and you'll probably get that code. Last thing, DW's Altima coupe just did the same thing about s month ago. I told her, gas cap. She didn't think so, I tightened it and about two days later it went off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#34 ·
Thanks, I remember the problem on my last 2 titan's but this is being stubborn. It has never happened on the Armada in 3+ years.

I reset the light, we drove about 50 miles and when we started the truck back up it came back on and stayed on the 50 miles back.

Maybe the dealer is getting desperate and purposely loosening the gas for return visits

#36 ·
My wife just called me freaking out saying the check engine light just came up on the dash. I told her to take gas cap off and put back on with 6 clicks and to get to a autozone which is just 2 min from her to have code read. I'll check more when she can get home soon.. Is the Nissans finicky, Had my Expedition for 190K miles and never seen a check engine light but 1 time . It was intake flume TMS sensor carboned up. simple fix.
Have a big trip planned this weekend.. with only 66K miles it has my curiosity up as to what woulda trip it.

#37 ·
Liquid tell her NOT to turn truck off until she can pull the code at autozone, if she can avoid it... I've seen it clear out after getting shut down and turned back on...
After she gets the code... let us know what it is.

#38 · (Edited)
Thanks koosh for the info, She already had the Armada shut off when she called me.
She cranked it back up light was still on, Went to Autozone and they read the code, of course my wife did not get the code number..lol she just wanted it fixed , must have been Evap or something to do with the Gas cap, He said Gas cap or fuel leak and neither one of them smelled any gas, Maybe I didn't get cap on correctly last fill up. Anyhow she bought a replacement locking cap and drove home a whopping 5 miles at most and I had her pop the hood so I could check out All fluids. cut off engine for me to check oil, and scope the engine bay over. I go in and cranked the Armada up to check Tranny and Light is now off, The guy at Autozone told my wife it will take 40 miles to reset ?? is this correct. So I'm hoping it was the Cap. The new cap fills better than the other cap, Not sure if the Original cap says Nissan but mine didn't of course I bought this Suv used so I don't know. But if anyone thinks the Nissan Gas Cap is better I will get one..
I cranked the beast up and took it for a spin like always it runs like a Scalded cat, WOW to be built like a Tank it sure can Move.. Going to put some miles on the Armada Pulling some hills and Hollers this weekend. Hopefully the light want appear, If it does I will get the codes read again, We have the Nissan Gold extended Warranty and The 100K certified warranty from the honda dealer we bought it from, I don't want to touch it to much my self until the warranty is out. Just like to keep Maintenance tip top shape.

#39 ·
Depending on the code it could also be cracked manifolds....

#40 ·
I listened real good for that on test run and with hood up idling. The 500 mile trip should pop up something if so.. everything sounds. Drives and looks new this light just popped up for some reason. Will my superchip read codes it has the option but its for my f150.

#42 ·
I will blow my top if that happens..crazy for headers to crack ever much less so soon..so far so good. My wifes drove 80 miles no light..

#43 ·
Liquid, if I'm not mistaken. Your truck will hold cods in memory. You should still be able to capture that code even though it is not showing. At some time though it will clear so you might want to see if it can be read.

As far as cracked manifolds throwing a code, I drove mine for about 1 1/2 months before I replaced the OEM manifolds with JBA headers. It never coded and only after replacing them did I find that both were cracked. Just a heads up to you FWIW. Unfortunately, it is not a matter of if but rather when they will fail. Mine failed months after the warranty, the warranty expired in May. Go figure! Anyway, I suppose it was for the best. Otherwise, you are only putting off the inevitable.

#44 · (Edited)
E&j thanks. I will get code read tonight..good info

#45 ·
The nice thing about the exhaust manifolds is that it allows you to replace with quality parts at a much MUCH cheaper price than OEM. :) last I checked one OEM exhaust manifold ran about 1200 and you can pretty much get long tube headers, hi flow catted B-Pipes, and UpRev for about that price. Lol

#46 ·
I'm about to buy me a Scanner/code reader.. Went to Autozone and the guy told me if ses light is not on problem is fixed and his scanner tool want read memory, and if I cycled ignition so many times the code is cleared any ways. He said more than likely my Armada read 0442 which would relate to Gas cap. Sounds like I just didn't Get the cap tight enough at last fill up. Should be good to drive this SUV like I bought it for.. Hope I have no more issues..

#47 ·
If you go with a scanner you might as well get, or save toward, UpRev instead. You can read and clear codes with UpRev along with tuning

#48 ·
I will be checking into this if i dont get one of these actron code readers for $40.00 sears has.
my superchip diagnostic worked with both my fords altough the tune is tied into my F150. not sure about using it with nissan.. thanks for the info..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.