Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Rear Gas Shock conversion 07 qx56

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Pres56 
#1 ·
Getting fed up with rear air ride it's not even kicking on anymore. Checked all fuses, relays and fusible links are good and ran power direct to compressor it turns on but doesn't pump up bags in rear this was while doing the lever trick on rear to make control unit think suspension was low... In the end if it makes more sense I don't tow anything but do carry alot of luggage along with 4 bikes on rear rack and it's bump stop the whole way and looks like truck is riding on inner side of wheels messing camber all up. Had to dealer 2 waste of time I'm ready to throw in towel I found these conversion gas shocks, direct fit anyone used these or heard anything regarding these?
299.00 for both and says walks you through how to disable check suspension light also as I assume this might light up not sure

I have an 07 qx56 but they are same for mada I believe... These are qx56 specific below 2004 to 2010 application. .

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/INFINITI-QX56-suspension.php

#2 ·
Greetings Pres56,

I have a 2009 QX56, it had the same problem the compressor would not pump up the air shocks. Found the rubber boot around one of the air shocks was split and leaking. Here is my way to test compressor circuit: First unhook the lever on the level switch let the lever drop toward the ground. Second start your engine, the compressor should cycle on within one minute. If your compressor runs ok then just replace your rear OE air shocks. They are on ebay for about $100 each,beats the suncore conversion cost. If your compressor is bad then the suncore gas conversion would be your less expensive option. I replaced front struts with Bilstien 4600 struts and rear with OE air shocks, like driving a new truck. Regards, Poppy

#3 ·
With Direct power compressor comes on but bags don't fill. When doing lever test compressor does not kick on at all. Any thoughts..?Can u send me a pic of boot to l
ook for leak at least I can check that also if some else is stopping compressor from coming on.

#6 ·
Ok I unbolted and held down towards ground compressor didn't come on but I heard 1 click sound. I than bolted back up with rear sagging as it always is now and restarted truck and when I crawled under truck I heard click sound again 1 time and compressor didn't come on though. Is the level sensor bad blocking power to compressor?

#7 ·
Hello Pres56, you could check for voltage on the level switch to determine if it's faulty. Unhook the levelers electrical plugin that powers up the compressor. Then check for voltage with engine running. For your information installing new OE air shocks on the rear raised my QX56 2" with out adding additional load. It takes about 300# added weight to kick the compressor on. Regards, Poppy

#9 ·
Ok I seen 3 wires a red ,white ,and blue on the height sensor harness.. I didn't want to probe wrong wire which one is to have power? Also on side not I unplugged the height sensor completely and the compressor kicked on in about 30 sec and stayed on but bags didn't fill and than kicked off after about 30 sec. Once sensor was plugged back in back to same no compressor kicking on but heard 1 click noise...

#10 ·
I think that height sensor switch is likely corroded, a work around would be to unhook the lever arm then repeatedly work the lever up then down twenty or more times just to loosen it up, then leave the lever down. Run your engine long enough to see if the compressor starts.
When the compressor starts it will only run about 30 seconds then has automatic shut down, compressor will not run again until engine is turned off then restarted and only then if the level switch is down.

Testing leveling switch for voltage:Red probe to Positive,Black to Ground/Frame

You reference air bags not filing: Do you have air bags or air shocks? Either way you have a leak and could be the boot or an air line or connection. Mine was the boot/bag that was split around the air shock. Regards Poppy

#11 ·
Ok so red wire should have show voltage? I'm going to give it another test in a a couple days here when weather is better... But the lever moves freely up and down its the voltage I assume is going to be key here to test. If no power I can assume faulty sensor or could it even be control unit and if so where is control unit located is that on driver rear quarter panel or luggage panel near where jack storage is somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.