Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Navi Bypass a Great Success!

33K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  NCshooter 
#1 ·
Those looking for a plug and play kit for the navigation bypass I highly recommend the CarKit Company one:
http://www.carkitcompany.com/infiniti-bypass-kits/qx56-2011-onwards

Brian from the company was great in customer service. We both had suspicions the QX80 bypass would work but he didn't know for sure. With his agreement in having no issues getting a refund I went ahead with the purchase. They sent along instructions for the 2011 QX56 and they were spot on exact to the new Armada. The install was pretty straight forward with no splicing whatsoever. Total time was around 45 minutes. Overall the kit gains 3 abilities:

1. Navi screen can have DVDs/Aux input showing while car is in motion
2. The cameras on the car can be engaged anytime meaning even when the car is moving
3. When the car is moving you can input street addresses/phones numbers and have full control over the navigation unit

The abilities are all engaged with 2 remotes which are furnished with the kit. Easy purchase for me at only $175 compared to the Prestigious Society kits. Anyone have questions about it please feel free to ask away.

See less See more
#5 ·
the bypass is not difficult at all . its a couple of wires-- park brake and speed sensing VSS lead. DPDT relay (2) and you are in business. 20 bux or less for parts.

the same system works for the armada and qx. there is a thread on this worthy of researching for those who are more mechanically inclined.

#6 ·
Entering Navigation info while driving

I find it really annoying that I cannot manually enter an address into navigation while driving. I realize they do it for safety, but my passenger cannot do it either. I also realize I can do it by voice command, but the voice system is annoying because it requires me to go backwards from state, town, etc., whereas the manual system starts with address, making the whole process much easier. Anyone know a way to disable this safety feature? I wish the voice command method would allow me to start with the street address, like the manual address entry system does. Even better would be a smarter system, like Siri, where I could say the whole address at once.

#7 ·
I realize they do it for safety
that's it right there. sure you may be mindful and will only let the passenger do it, but companies must think of the lowest common denominator, and there's people out there who will attempt to enter in this data whilst driving, which, could cause an accident.

the voice command is choie and works fine. have you done the voice training? if not, do that as it will help with voice recognition.

also when you are using the voice command and its asking you things, you can press the voice command icon thingy on the wheel to stop it from talking, then the icon on the screen will light up amber which means its ready to hear your response. I use this method and it streamlines the process. i can get an address entered in no time.

however to answer your question, smoke over this thread.

#10 ·
If you have the button on bypassing the nanny safety feature, the navigation will not work/update since it thinks its not moving.

As an FYI, you can get the schematics and make this yourself for about 25 ish dollars in parts. I have had this system on a 2008 armada and now my 2012 qx. Its a hidden button under the dash i flip.

Just keep in mind the CANBUS computer system may store some faults relating to this in its CEL memory, since, in theory, the head unit (gyrocompass) "Senses" its moving (speedo needle moving, gyro moving since the car IS moving in space) yet the parking brake is grounded telling it its NOT moving.

The main trick to how these systems work is grounding the parking brake so the car "thinks" its parked/not moving.

You may never see a CEL lamp come on about this so this may be moot, but just wanted to share with the class.. :D

#11 ·
I just did the same thing with left over wires and a 5 dollar switch. Since you got to remove 6 screws and pop out your dash might as well save money. Just my opinion. Credit da braddah who when put this DYI yourself.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
2008 to 2010 Infiniti QX56

Just in case someone is looking to do this mod on his 08 to 2010 QX56 here is the wiring diagram for it. It is extremely simply to do. I used one single throw switch and about 3 length of cable, each about a foot long or so.

Besides the wiring diagram, there are a few simple tips that can help you.

1. The plug you need to look at is the largest one attached to the back of the Radio
2. The above diagram looks at the plug from the back side (ie the side with all the wires on it)
3. start by locating the Parking Brake wire. You can confirm that you have the right one by plugging one side of a test light to the positive side of 12V outlet (below the radio) and the negative side to the wire you think is from the parking brake. Once you have done that you can simply push and release the parking brake and your test light will turn on and off
4. Cut that wire. Attach an extension to the wire going to the radio and ground it against the nearest metal frame behind the radio. There are plenty of mounting screws.

5. Now that you know exactly which wire is for the parking brake, the VSS wire is right next to it (White and red).
6. Cut it apart and attach two wire extensions to both ends. These need to be long enough to reach where ever you want to mount your switch. Any simple switch will do. your choice
7.Connect both wires to that switch. It doesn't matter which side goes were.

That's it. Put everything together and you are done. Total cost is maybe 2 dollars and takes about 15 min. If you have done any wiring in your life, this is as simple as it gets. 3 wires, 2 cuts and a switch. Certainly you can get a lot more fancy with it and use relays, remote controls,... but in my opinion not worth the effort and certainly not worth paying some yahoo $100 :D

#18 ·
Found some info on this forum for older model Nav/DVD bypass, but nothing for a 2019 Armada. Just purchased a 2019 Platinum Reserve and would love to be able to bypass the DVD disable for the front screen while in motion. Anyone done this successfully and able to recommend a product? Ideally one that would work for both the built-in DVD source as well as HDMI input when selected, nav data entry enablement would be a bonus.

#22 ·
Here's what I know. I physically soldered a switch in my 2012. For my 2016 I just used Brian's kit from the Car Kit Company.

For my 2018, Brian, from the Car Kit company, whose an automotive electronics tech, and I have not found a way to locate the correct wiring to insert a bypass switch.

Not saying it's not possible. But we haven't been able to find it. Something thing changed. Don't know what.

But please. I have a 2018, let me know if yiu figure it out. I'm happy to disassemble my center console and put a switch in.

#23 ·
thank you for the follow up. :)

starting from the 2008 armada/qx and well into the 2nd gen qx, the same system has been in place. nissan added a gyrocompass in the head unit but still tapping into the VSS wire and grounding the parking brake still worked. now across those years the wiring harnesses have changed a little bit and even the color of the wiring has changed, but the same process still worked.

but with the added infotainment features it is possible nissan changed up somethings. if you can get access to the 2019 service manual or 2018 qx one you can for sure find out the truth.

#24 ·
So I yesterday I figured out that while disabling the VSS speed sensor input to the radio in order to watch DVDs on the move, works. It does disable the automatic volume increase based on your speed. I noticed this when i flipped to switch back and forth while driving on the highway and listening to music. Everytime i turned the VSS signal back on, the music would get louder again. I guess that makes sense, but I have never seen anyone mention this before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.