Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

New member, going to buy an Armada

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tyoung86 
#1 ·
Seriously considering getting an Armada to tow a ~6,000 lbs trailer. Great conversations on these forums with a lot of information. I've had a 2002 Frontier for 15 years and have had very few issues - great vehicle.

#5 ·
Thanks! I'm looking at a used 2015 SV with the Bose sound system, fog lights, power hatchback, trailer hitch, DVD players in the back of the seatrests... I didn't even think that some of these options were available for the SV. Confusing. It's definitely an SV though - cloth seats and no moonroof.

#6 ·
Picking up my 17' Armada today. Moving to Nissan after owning GMC trucks and most recently a couple of Yukon XL's. I know the styling of the new Armada is a bit polarizing but that's one of the reasons I personally like it. While the updated body style of the Yukon's has grown on me a bit I was never really a fan of the change. That and the fact there are a couple of serious flaws in the current versions prompted me to look at other options.

I owned an Expedition back in 98' and while it was ok the reliability of that particular vehicle was not even close to the experience I have had with all of my GMC trucks and full size SUV's. Towing with the Expy caused numerous premature failures including brakes, rotors and eventually the transmission. For such a large vehicle it was hardly up to the standards of a full size ute. I'm sure Ford has improved them since then but I won't be going back to their showrooms anytime soon.

After driving both the QX80 and the new Armada I just could not justify spending the extra cash on the Infinity. I also like the more conservative styling of the Armada over it's fraternal twin. Bell's and whistles are great but my primary concern is capability and utility first, gadgets and trinkets second. The Land Cruiser was on my wish list for many years and when I could finally afford to buy one that design was so dated everything around it looked absolutely futuristic. While the Armada is based on a long standing platform and some see it as a dated design with some dated gadgetry I see that as one of it's most attractive qualities. The engine and drive train should be up to the task of hauling my two enclosed trailers. The largest of which is a 29' aluminum enclosed with a gross weight rating of 8K pounds. Realize this will be pushing the limits of the Armada a bit but I never load the trailer up with anywhere near its max capacity and only tow that beast a couple of times a year anyway for a couple hundred miles.

As for a lot of the complaints about the age and capability of the Stereo and Navigation system. Agree that Nissan needs to bring it up to rival's current standards but my brother has a 16' Escalade that he paid $95K for and the Cue system is absolute garbage. I really think the future has to be better integration with personal devices that everyone already owns. Last spring I installed the latest and greatest aftermarket Pioneer with Car-play and Android Auto in the Yukon I am trading off for the Armada. While Android Auto is cool the integration still has a long long way to go to be truly seamless and useful. For most trips I wound up not using Android Auto and simply connecting via Bluetooth for an overall better experience with the apps on my phone that actually work better than any apps currently developed for in-car systems.

It's kinda like built in DVD/Blueray systems in cars. While they work ok most kids already have a tablet or phone that plays all of the media they want access to in a far better way and for much less money. It's the reason I ordered up a SL rather than a Platinum. Saved the $3500 bucks I would have spent on something I would never use and while my hind-end won't be cooled by the seat I am sitting on that's a feature I can live without. The fact that it is also missing some of the driving nannies is also a bonus in my book. Really don't want my vehicle helping me drive.

Overall after driving the all of the competition (minus the Ford products) I am convinced the new Armada is the best option out there for many but not all. It definitely gives up significant cargo capability over the Yukon XL/Suburban but I normally have a trailer on when I really need all of that cargo space. So for me, not an issue. Back seats are a bit more cramped but I really never forced anyone back into the third row of my Yukon anyway and when I did it was for short distances only. Again, a non issue. As for the final nit many have regarding fuel economy. I just have to laugh. The first manufacturer that can produce a 3 ton 4WD gas powered 8 passenger vehicle with an 8000 pound tow rating and can get better than 6, 7 or 8 MPG while doing that? I will be the first in line to pick one up.

#7 ·
Very nice and well written post.

Congrats on your purchase. Would love to see pics of your new Armada SL. Especially when you hook up one of your trailers to it.

Enjoy.

#8 ·
Thanks! Took delivery today. Transaction went just as expected and I was in and out of the dealership in an hour. Driving to the dealer in the 11' Yukon and driving out with the 17' Armada was something I can only describe as "walking through a time warp." Anyone that says this vehicle is not up to today's standards is crazy. Or, maybe they just have really high standards compared to mine. :)

It's powerful, quiet, smooth and just unique enough to still turn a few heads. Mostly those in one of the tens of thousands of Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans flowing out of the local parking lots around here. I put 140 miles on today just for fun as I decided not to go back into the office. Incredible vehicle so far and getting used to the gadgets quickly. Phone integration is actually very good even when comparing it to the latest and greatest tech I had recently installed in the old Yukon. Took the time to do the voice training exercise and the system responds quickly to all commands and I like the ability to minimize the system feedback and prompting during voice operation.

So far this thing is a winner. I will definitely post up a picture when I get a chance to hook up the winter trailer for towing back to the farm for summer. I have the brake controller on order from Amazon, it will be in Friday and I will get it installed this weekend. Just for fun I attached a picture below of the larger trailer and the "old" Yukon. I was torn getting the white Armada over the silver one as it won't match my trailers but sitting side by side with the silver one I just couldn't walk away from that nice pearl paint. Now that it's home I am glad I went with the white. For such an outdated old fashioned full size SUV design it sure drew a crowd in the dealer parking lot when I was taking delivery of it today. Love the new Armada..... :)

Attachments

#9 ·
I love the new Armadas, they look sleek and sexy, certainly much better design than the boxy GM platforms, now those designs are long in the tooth despite the latest "redesign".

Welcome to the forum

#11 ·
Ok. So I towed my enclosed trailer with 3 sleds loaded up in it back to their summer resting place. About a 200 mile trip one way with lots of hills to climb up and down.

This trailer is the smaller of two enclosed that I own. The trailer is an all aluminum model and is 23' long and 7.5' wide. Weight is approx 1800 lbs empty and right around 4000 lbs total loaded up with the three sleds. The Armada tows it with no problems at all and much better than my 2011 Yukon XL SLT. More power, far better handling and hardly notice the trailer is even there compared to the GMC. Absolutely loving this vehicle so far. Just cannot imagine there is a better value out there right now for the money.

Pictures:

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the pictures and update on towing. We have a '17 SL we purchased in late December and have loved the vehicle so far. We are looking at purchasing a travel trailer but haven't seen much on real world experience on the new ones. Thanks again and enjoy the new ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.