Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada Rear Springs

199K views 465 replies 64 participants last post by  bellwilliam 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok people.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have talked PRG Greg into doing some R&D for our rear springs. He said he's going to be getting a couple sets and looking into providing some ready to install Eibach springs to the Armada community... :) I know a few of us will greatly appriciate it and snap up a set- this will possibly partially cure the rear end sag many of us with Auto-Level have/are experiencing.

When I learn more I'll let you guys know... but for now that's all I've got.

**UPDATE**
I just spoke with Greg @ PRG Products and he said that he is going to start doing some testing tomorrow on the stock rear Armada spring(s) he got in. They have been INCREDIABLY busy past month or so and he said he is just now making head way on getting caught back up. I will keep everyone informed on the results and if Greg will start offering direct replacement upgraded rear springs. :D *crossing fingers* IF he does and we get enough intrest maybe he'll give us a group buy... :)

SO that you do not have to scroll through this entire thread I will post a quick synopsis of what has occured and info gathered here:
1. Airlift 1000 bags were initially looking very promising, but member here found out that they are NOT designed to provide any LIFT and had an extreme reaction when attempting to inflate (air bags turned into giant red blobs that squeezed out between spring coils and "totalled" the air bags).
2. Firestone bags appear to be best bet for air bags contained within OEM rear spring (as of yet- no reports of air bags turning into blobs as with the Airlift 1000s).
3. IF going with Firestone best to postion bags with fill position pointed up so as to decrease risk of air hose catching on debris and to maintain ground clearance.
4. Airbagit system completely REPLACES rear springs and is WELDED into coil bucket. (these can be designed to work with lifted applications, but would require serious modification if wanting to adjust in future).
5. Rancho and a couple other shocks can directly replace OEM shocks (both auto level and non auto level).
6. Bilsteins DO NOT MAKE A DIRECT FIT shock for the rear Armada/QX56 shock, BUT you can get a 5100 to fit with some slight modifications.
7. Per Greg @ PRG- TITAN REAR SHOCKS WILL NOT FIT REAR ARMADA/QX56 REAR SHOCK LOCATION! Titan rear shocks are MUCH too long (hopefully will be able to talk/get Greg to stock direct fit rear shocks for Armadas/QX56s in not too distant future)
8. While this thread is titled "Armada Rear Springs" it covers almost the entire Armada/QX56 rear suspension issues/replacements.

See less See more
Reactions: gm01gm
#3 ·
He wanted to use mine so he could do some more intensive R&D for the whole suspension of the Mada...... but I live WAY to far away.
Maybe we can convince him to prove the community with a larger selection of parts (pre adjusted Bilsteins for the rear? SAWs? Radflos?) kits for replacing/adding air suspension.... :)

#4 ·
Cool! Thanks for doing that Koosh! I don't have the sagging issue but would like to firm up the rear. I'll be looking out for new developments.

#5 ·
Subscribed! nice idea koosh

#7 ·
Umm I just said that...hahahhaa

#8 ·
Keep us posted Koosh. If it helps, let him know that I'll be getting some too (powder coated Red) when I can save enough to afford the rear Radflos, my OEM shocks are shot pretty bad, I have another cracked exhaust manifold, and wifey's medical bills have been taking 40% of my salary.

#9 ·
Im in too Koosh.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be sure to let him know and keep you guys posted. Trying not to pressure him too badly at the moment. lol

@Pops your OEM auto-level shocks, which radflo part # are you going to get? I spent some time on their site but all I got for my efforts was a headache. lol

I'm in the same boat as you Pops. My back end is sagging bad and pretty sure I have cracks in one or both headers. Sorry to hear your wifes med bills are eatting up so much... Good thoughs and health to her!....

#12 ·
After rereading your first post koosh I decided to look at my rear end today, I have rear springs already behind my rear axle. They look like really large coilovers. Is this what you are referring to adding?

#13 ·
@Pops: LOL looks like we are both waiting on Greg. Well if I hear before you I'll let you know what Greg says.

@Nathan: Yes, we all have coil springs behind our rear tires. What I've asked Greg to do is to look into upgrade options for those coil springs and from there looking at the rest of the Mada's rear suspension. The rear coil springs currently provide very limited "lift" capacity but stiffer/bigger springs would help stiffen up our back end and hopefully provide a better ride. :)

#14 ·
Koosh,

Ok that's what I was thinking you were talking about. thanks for clearing that up.

#15 ·
Count me on these as well!! after 150,000 miles my rear has got a little sagging going on!! No jokes please, I know it comes with age!

#19 ·
Question for Pops

Hey,
those Air-Lift 1000 Helper Springs. I am looking for a set for the rear for my 05 LE. I got 6 inch lift on it but that does not matter I guess because the rear air ride is the same and the springs so it is just like stock realy if you look at it. Which model AirLift 1000 are you talking about. I want to drop them in there to stiffen the rear up, got little sag, not much, but I am also getting all shocks replaced right now so I justwant to complete it right way, first try. Don't want to back under my vehicle over and over to spend more time there. Rather stay in it. LOL. Do you know if there is a better option then those. Is there something that you seen comes in different color then red. All my accessories are black right now and stainless steel color so it would be out of place. Some guys are saying stuff about new stiffer spings. Where the heel they going to get those from. Getting mods for the Armada's is like pulling teeth. Not talking about big speakers and 5 different LCD screens size 17 inch and bigger, LOL. I am talking about some tough guy mods, OFF-ROAD type.

Let me know what you know POPS.

Dom.

#20 · (Edited)
08 Armada SE rear airbags

Hello guys, I just installed these air bags on my wifes' 08 Armada SE (non-auto level) last month. The airbags definitely raise the back end and make it stiff. They were easy to install as well. I saw them for $66 on Amazon today via Google shopping. I think these will solve the sagging problem for your Armada. They are: Firestone 4150 Coil-Rite Rear Air Helper Spring Kit

Product Description:

Coil-Rite; Air Helper Spring Kit; Rear; Incl. Air Helper Springs; Supports; Hardware; Air Line; And Inflation Valves; No Drilling Required; OEM Number W237604150. Increase Vehicle Stability. Improve Steering And Balance. Improve Braking Effectiveness. Prevent Bottoming Out. Maintain A Level Vehicle. Keep Headlights Aimed On The Road. Reduce Tire Wear.

:)

Attachments

#21 ·
Hello guys, I just installed these air bags on my wifes' 08 Armada SE (non-auto level) last month. The airbags definitely raise the back end and make it stiff. They were easy to install as well. I saw them for $66 on Amazon today via Google shopping. I think these will solve the sagging problem for your Armada. They are: Firestone 4150 Coil-Rite Rear Air Helper Spring Kit

Product Description:

Coil-Rite; Air Helper Spring Kit; Rear; Incl. Air Helper Springs; Supports; Hardware; Air Line; And Inflation Valves; No Drilling Required; OEM Number W237604150. Increase Vehicle Stability. Improve Steering And Balance. Improve Braking Effectiveness. Prevent Bottoming Out. Maintain A Level Vehicle. Keep Headlights Aimed On The Road. Reduce Tire Wear.

:)
Raptor; could we get a few pictures of them installed? Maybe air pipe routing, and what not.

#22 · (Edited)
How do you fill the bladder on these? is it routed inline with the auto leveling compressor, or do you just fill with a compressor like a tire? For the price it doesnt hurt to try.

Update:
Looked into after posting the above and figured it out.

#24 ·
Yes, adding the firestone or the airlift 1000 springs will definately help to stiffen up the back end and help prevent sagging. I'm, and will be, investing in Airlift 1000 springs/bags myself. I am also however a firm believer in having some overlap protection, as it were. lol Thus having Greg check out upgrading the rear springs which I believe will reduce the "stress" on the airlift 1000s and make for an all over better ride.

#25 ·
So I just purchased the Airlift 1000 from summit racing, should be here in two days. I am hoping that it will stiffen up the rear end more in the rolling area vs. the sagging as I do not have any issue with this as of yet.

With rear auto leveling system the air lifts are connected to the shocks correct? and there isnt any aftermarket possibilites out there? if they go out is the dealership the only place to go for replacements? they have to have certain milage change outs or no? I mean they have to wear and tear at some point, sounds crazy that most people never change them the life of their armadas. Am I wrong in thinking this, whats a solution? got carried away there sorry haha........

#26 ·
The OEM airshocks go out around 60k-110k miles. They are regular gas shocks with a air bladder on top. They are made by Tokico and I doubt they could be made much cheaper or crappier than they already are. You're better off with aftermarket.

#27 · (Edited)
Pops, thanks again for the insight, so there are after market options for the rear shocks with the auto leveling? Every where I have looked say excluding rear leveling systems. Would you have a good site suggestion to check out? As I get alot of rolling when i step on it, and I am pretty sure it's the shocks just boucing around back there.

Just googled Tokico to get an idea for what to look
for, and the armada doesn't even show up in their model section?

#28 ·
I know the Rancho 9000xls will fit.
Since you already purchased the airlift 1000s (those will go inside the rear coils) you can take a look at routing the lines to the stock compressor and completely removing the stock airshocks and stock airlines. You would just replace the rear air shocks with Ranchos or whichever shock you find will fit (kinda like the the front bilstein shock swap out).
SO that you know. After Greg gets this rear coil spring thing nailed down I'm going to ask him to look into other options for rear shocks for the Armada. It might be that he'll be able to find something that works straight from the factory or be able to adjust them so we can just bolt it right it with out having to fight it.

#29 · (Edited)
Koosh,
Thanks again dude, once I get the airlifts in the mail, going to spend some time back there really learning how everything is set up an so on. I really like the idea of tying the airlifts into the already there compressor. This might sound to easy so probably will not work, but what do you think of just inserting another T fitting into the factory lines splitting off to the airlifts? would the compressor be powerful enough to fill 4 bladders, or might throw the sensor off? Any thought?

#30 ·
I have heard from a few people that the Rancho 9000 are not much better then the stock. No improvement, well, if your OEM are done then sure. But if you want quality and long lasting life of your shocks then spend couple extra bucks and perhaps get some Radflos or Billesteins on the slightly cheaper side.

#31 ·
@Nathan: see post in the other thread. :)
@the White Beast: Thanks for the info! I have not yet heard that the Ranchos really aren't that great. I know the monroe shocks were worse than OEM but nothing about the 9000xls. My goal and recomendation is to spend the extra money and get a set of Bilsteins or Radflos or even S.A.W.s, but unfortunately they do not make any direct fit shocks for the Armada.....yet.... lol. This is percisely why I'm bugging/asking Greg to start R&D on the Armada's rear suspension. I'm hoping that he'll be able to find something that is close enough that he could modify and offer to the Armada community as a "Bolt-On" straight from him. I have read/seen some guys doing their own modifications to some Bilsteins for in the rear suspensions but it was all work that they did themselves. Definately if ANYONE has further info on "Bolt-on" rear shocks or even shocks (with model # preferably) that are really close to what the Armada would require as either stock height or lifted- go ahead and post it in this thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.