Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Bilsteins 5100/33-062518 Rear Shocks

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  primoV8 
#1 · (Edited)
Bilsteins 5125/33-062518 Rear Shocks

The Rancho XLs finally started to show its wear and tear after being on the truck for almost 5 years since gutting out the air leveling suspension. Before going with another set of Ranchos, I gave Mike @ TAP a call and we both agreed on the Bilstein 33-062518 rear shock would suit my truck best. With only a 1.5" lift all around, the 33-062518 has a taller extended length of 18.5" vs the XL's 17.75" but the collapsed length were very close at 12.03"(5100) and 12.375"(XLs).

Mike included the correct sized Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings to accept 14mm(9/16") inner diameter 5/8" outer diameter sleeve bushings. Unfortunately, the sleeve bushings included have an OAL of 1-1/2"; the armada needs the sleeve bushings to be 1-7/8"(48mm) long. A couple 9/16"(M14) spacers on both ends to take up the gap was all it took to make it fit.

Its been almost two weeks now, a little over 500+ miles with the Bilsteins 5100/33-062518 installed. I wasn't sure how the ride would be but so far, these Bilsteins compliment the Fox 2.0s up front just perfectly.

#3 ·
With the exception of a Nissan OE rear shock that I didn't have on hand to actually measure, the OE replacement offerings from KYB, Monroe, Gabriel and even the Rancho XLs I've had for almost 5 years all measured right around 17.5-17.7". I even checked Rock Auto and some of the manufacturer's websites and the numbers seems to be right.

The XLs lasted this long, never had an issue until I noticed it finally started to bounce more than usual within the past month or so. I would've gone with another set it but since the opportunity presented itself, I figure why not try something else. I don't tow, just a daily driven truck here in NYC and the Bilsteins seem to be working out great so far. If they didn't, a custom set of ICONs would've been my next choice.

#5 ·
He got his from Mike O at TAP. I emailed Mike at 4x4 parts regarding that 5100 replacement shock. I wanted to know colapsed and extended length and valving. To verify fitment. He did not know and would not provide a bilstein number to cross reference. Thats 2016 customer service for ya..

#7 ·
charlie1978, I purchased the Bilsteins from Mike @ www.totalautomotiveperformance.com. Regarding fitment, I made a change today because I'm not really a fan of using spacers to compensate fitment. I watched a video on youtube on how to remove the steel sleeve bushings without making a mess of completely burning out the rubber bushings and it worked perfectly. I took the old Ranchos, heated up the inside of the sleeve bushings for about a minute. By then, the polyurethane bushing Rancho uses started to melt and the steel sleeve bushing popped right out. Now I had the correct, length sized sleeve bushings to use on the Bilsteins; spacers no more.
If you purchase the Bilsteins from Mike @ TAP, he includes the upgraded Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings which are slightly wider than Bilsteins rubber bushings. It also comes with the larger sleeve bushings to accept the 14mm(9/16") diameter bolts on our trucks but they're still not long enough.

Pic with no more spacers.

Thebassn8tr2, this is what I found and I believe what Mike @ TAP uses regarding the Bilstein 5125 lineup:
http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/5125_Applications_01.pdf

#9 ·
Sweeeet!you making me drool,primo.if i order mine later on,still thingking if im going to use the spacer that comes on the package or do the same thing like you did .coz i still have the air factory shocks in my storage where i can reuse inner metal sleeve.im a bit scared i might burn it.1.your's is stock or you lift it?2.you use only the metal sleeve from rancho?3.the price @ TAP website is per piece right?i bet you driving your armada all day around town w/ no weary feeling.

#8 ·
So hows the ride overall so far? Iv got the 5100s up front and was gonna gut the auto level shocks. Iv already replaced the rear springs with the raybestos. The ride is absolutely horrible with only replacing the springs! Was gonna go raflos but if these pan out good i could save alot of money

#11 ·
The only downside to these Bilsteins is the lack of the correct sized sleeve bushings needed in order to bolt them on without the use of spacers. Otherwise, the ride has been problem free.

Sweeeet!you making me drool,primo.if i order mine later on,still thingking if im going to use the spacer that comes on the package or do the same thing like you did .coz i still have the air factory shocks in my storage where i can reuse inner metal sleeve.im a bit scared i might burn it.1.your's is stock or you lift it?2.you use only the metal sleeve from rancho?3.the price @ TAP website is per piece right?i bet you driving your armada all day around town w/ no weary feeling.
Unfortunately, the steel sleeve bushings on the OE air shocks won't work because the outer diameter(thickness of the sleeve) is much larger. Just take a look and you'll see what I mean. The aftermarket manufacturers that offer bolt-on rear replacement shocks all use the same size sleeve bushings measuring right around: 14mm(9/16") ID x 16mm(5/8") OD X 48mm(1-7/8") OAL.
Thats why the sleeve bushings I removed from the Ranchos worked perfectly since the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kit that Mike includes with the shocks have the correct diameter to accept said sleeve bushing. Give Mike @ TAP a call before ordering so he can help you out with any additional questions.
I'm heading back out to the house tomorrow and I'll take pics of the stock Bilstein sleeve bushing(1/2" ID) vs. Energy Suspension(9/16" ID) vs. Rancho(9/16") for comparison.

The lift on my armada is 1.5", Fox 2.0 IFPs up front and 1.5" spacers under the rear coils. Even with the previous XLs that were on the truck for almost 5 years, also a direct bolt-on, never presented any problems until finally wearing out. I've had 22s for the last couple of years and even with the current set of AT tires on the truck, it still rides surprisingly smooth. I'm sure if I had highway rated tires, the ride would improve even more but I'm satisfied with the results so far after installing these Bilsteins rear shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.