Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Installing HID retrofit headlights

19K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  D_a_m 
#1 ·
Had some stock 2012 Armada headlights retrofit with HID projectors. Got a bunch of wiring with them, relays, ballasts, etc. But no instructions on how to install everything. It looks fairly self explanatory, but there are some connections that get me confused when I think about it too much! I've laid everything out in a logical manner. But I can't see how it should connect to the projectors. The stock headlight plug needs to be plugged in, for the sidemarker and turn signal. That leaves the low and high beam plugs. The low is now the HID. But in a projector, the low and high are the same. From the HID relay, to ballast, to bulb, how does the projector know to open the shutter and display the high beams? Am I over thinking it? There's an OEM plug coming from the relay. I imagine that hooks into one headlight low beam connecter (truck side). Then the relay turns on both HID's. So the low beam plug on the other headlight will just be disconnected all the time.

Sorry for the rambling post. I hope you guys can make sense of it! I can post pics of everything I have later, if needed.

And if anyone can chime in with recommended wire routing, that would be helpful!

Thanks

#37 ·
thanks for the help and comments everyone! Sgreenlyn, I totally agree about the cutoff. The HID's on my mustang don't seem to have such an abrupt line. I'll either get used to it, or... I did keep the stock lights!

primo, I agree. I love the quality of light that my Mustang puts out, and we had a Buick that had hid's. We traded the Buick on the Armada, and that's the only thing I missed!

#38 ·
Man, I just posted about wanting some HID/Projector headlights. goresnet, they look great. I'm not a fan of CFL or LED rings (angel eyes) or whatever they call them. But it looks like that may be my only option. And I DO NOT want to go through all that trouble you did. I too can't believe a $50K+ SUV does not come with HIDS. Mine is a 2011 and my 2008 Maxima has them.

#39 · (Edited)
Pretty much your only options are to retrofit a stock headlight housing with projectors or buy an aftermarket housing that has projectors pre-installed. Since you said that you don't want to go through all the trouble, you might want to look for a set with projectors pre-installed and have a shop install the HID kit for you.

I feel the same way about Halos and LED corner lights. One thing I will mention tho, if you buy an aftermarket set that has Halos you can usually choose not to use them. They will still physically be there but you do not have to wire them in, that way they just wont turn on.

Edit... Oh and please don't put HIDs in the stock halogen housing, it looks bad and blinds everyone else. :)

#42 ·
My Spyders have very nice projectors with a sharp stepped cut off line - a little higher line on the right side. I think they look nicer in person than photos.

They are heavier and better built than the hazy yellowed OEM units I tossed. Like OEM there is no side-to-side adjustment, but it's easy to shim the front inside screw if you need a permanent sideways adjustment. You can adjust the beam height from the front or back with an 8mm mini ratchet, which is critical if you have a leaky rear air system.

http://www.spyderauto.com/product.p...me-High-H1-(Included)-Low-9006-(Not-Included)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.