Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Fitting Bilstein 5100s Rear Shocks

72K views 99 replies 37 participants last post by  Guesswhatchickenbutt 
#1 ·
Ok, there are 2 different models of Bilsteins 5100s that could fit our rear (for those like me who don't have auto-leveling rear):
_ Bilstein 5125 (Part # BE5-6251-H5)
_ Bilstein 5150 (Part # BF5-A194-H1)

Both have collapsed and extended lengths that fit non lifted as well as lifted Madas. Actually they will fit lifted ones (2'') better than factory shocks by giving more suspension travel as their extended length is approximately 1'' longer and this is the limiting factor for suspension travel. I have ordered and received the 5150 (with fixed crossflow reservoir) and quickly tried to fit it yesterday. As expected, it's not a direct fit.

Those shocks come with eye mounts at both ends. The bushings on these eye mounts have an internal diameter of 5/8 (16mm) while our stock bolts are 9/16 (14mm) so the bolts need to be replaced and holes drilled bigger. While the nut on the lower arm moves and thus can be replaced with a bigger one, the upper arm has a thread directly on the bracket instead of a nut. If I drill through this thread, I have enough room to add a nut outside the bracket. I could as well cut this threaded part and weld a bigger nut in its place.

ths width of the bushings is about 1.5'' (38mm) while the factory shocks' bushings are about 1.9'' (48mm) so I'll have to use 5mm thick washers on both sides.

Last issue which is specific to the 5150 due to its crossflow reservoir is that the brackets for the brake lines need to be relocated to give room for the reservoirs. Once this is done, I'll know for sure if the shock mount bracket also needs a bit of grinding but I don't think so.

Any fitting suggestions/advices are welcome. I have a few hints that I am going to pursue and will let you know.

Paul

See less See more
Reactions: blackArmada_Dxb
#40 ·
After having mounted a set of Bilstein 5150s and another set of 5125s, I have had lots of swinging on bumps from my rear suspension. Although a 255/70 valving is recommended for rear suspension on full size SUVs, it is definitely too soft for our Madas. I think it has to do with the geometry of our rear suspensions and where the shock mounts are placed. If I could fit the new Bilstein 5165 with a 360/80 valving (Part # 25-187878), that would my be my next set. Unfortunately, its collapsed and extended lengths are 1" short.

Anyway, for anyone who would still want to try Bilsteins on non auto-leveling rear suspensions, after enlarging the original 9/16" holes to 5/8" with a drill, I would recommend welding Synergy Suspension Flat Tabs 14d with 5/8" holes on the inside of the upper and lower shock brackets (that's 8 pieces total) to make the right width to bolt Bilstein shocks on. That's what I have now and I am quite happy with the mounts. Of course, doing that means you would not go back to stock shocks afterwards.

Paul

#42 ·
Rear Springs

Hi Pops... I have been thinking about your suggestion regarding the SE "non-tow" springs. I have a 2004 LE and after replacing the OE air struts with the Rancho 9000XL and added a 2" spacer, my rear height is only at 37". I am thinking about buying the SE springs but am worried that i'll spend the cash and have the same height in the end due to the compression ratio. I'm also following Kooshtaka's rear spring thread and hopefully we can get back some good news from PRG. Do you know anyone that has replaced the LE spring with the SE and had good results in height? I think that the SE 4WD, w/o load levelling and with 17" rims sits at 37.72" stock. That got me thinking.... Thanks

#43 ·
I'm putting together my setup now, PRG is just waiting on some Radflo part numbers. I'll post the results when done... There's a thread on here somewhere that someone posted all the details, but I don't remember where right off hand.

#44 ·
You putting Radflos? Please keep us posted. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#49 ·
Definitely all-in on this. Four Radflos in the back & $500. :D

#51 ·
Is this a limited time deal on the Radflos?

#89 ·
Hello there,
I heard yesterday that bilstein finally released a 5100 series rear shock that exactly fits Aramads without any further adjustment..similar to the front shocks. I heard they were released last month. Has anybody heard of that?

I'm considering a makeover for my suspension assembly (front and rear) and it'd be great if I could install oem-compatible 5100 bilsteins all across!!

Cheers

#53 ·
NICE! This is through Greg?

#55 ·
Man, the temptation is so big. :D
Might be sleeping in the couch for awhile again. Lol

#59 ·
Is it possible and cost effective to get a set of sleeves machined so you don't have to drill out the stock mounts to install the billsteins? This would make sense in theory...
Perhaps PRG could make a sleeve with washers so they would be a simple bolt up...

Just thinking out loud.

#60 ·
THIS

This was the first thing that came to my mind, but I don't trust myself to make one since I am somewhat new to cars.

#61 ·
#62 ·
Sorry for not updating earlier but I did not have a solution for my problem which was: The dampening of the Bilsteins I tried (5125 and 5150) was definitely way too soft. I finally got a solution today. I installed a pair of Sway-A-Way Race Runner Emulsion 2.5 (part # 56000-406) and... Boy, they rock!

I have tried them off-road immediately after installation and they were just amazing. Now I feel that I have a much better setup in the rear than in the front. I may break the bank later on and get some Sway-A-Way to replace my ride-adjsutable Bilsteins in the front. :)

They were not bolt-on for me. To fit them, I had to get some heim spacers from Sway-A-Way and to do a bit of grinding on the shocks mounts. As I had done some fitting work before for the Bilsteins, the spacers I got are for a total width of 38mm (part # 56702-002-4) and I had to go down to 1/2" bolts and get some sleeves machined to avoid any play between the new bolts and my tab holes.

If you want to install the same shocks on a stock non load-leveling Armada, you will need to get different Sway-A-Way heim spacers (part # 56702-002-8) and the only fitting work will be some grinding as the shocks will touch a bit. I installed them upside down as it was easier the grind the lower mounts. Also, if you get the shocks mailed, they come gas empty so you will need to get a local shop to charge them to 200 psi nitrogen.

It took me a while to figure out what was the ultimate setup for me but I think I have it now. :D

Attachments

#63 ·
Polz, so your saying there's issues with the bilstein shocks, I have a neighbor that works for them..I am putting this shock on my F150 for starters.

#64 ·
Maybe you can find out from him who to contact and we can hit them up on making rear shock for the Armada. I cant believe that a car that has been made for 10 years on the same platform, with a known suspension problem, doesnt have more aftermarket support for rear shocks.

#67 ·
The reason there are no rear shocks may be because a large percentage of Armadas and all QX56s had the rear air spring shocks. Note that Bilstein doesn't have shocks for many cars, many who would greatly benefit. This includes Hyundai Sonata and Genesis models, virtually all AWD BMW and MB models (virtually the only type sold in the Northeast), etc.

#68 ·
Definitely contract PRG about rear shocks. He's been doing r&d on our rear suspension and he has some proven fixes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#72 ·
Virtually all Bilstein shocks can be easily rebuild. However, the steel bodied ones (all street Bilsteins) would need to be tested for accuracy of the setting and it usually takes some testing to know what the calibration should be. Modifying non-take apart Bilsteins is common in price restricted shock rule oval track racing classes...in some cases even as high as super late models.

I was wanted the air suspension for trailer towing...that is up to 900# on the hitch. If a good rear shock was available modifying the system to use the Firestone bladder inside the existing rear spring was a possibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.