Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Remote starter

30K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
Brand new to the forum so hello to all. I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 Armada Platinum Reserve and I'm very impressed with how much SUV I got for the price. One thing puzzles me though. The intelligent key systems don't come with a remote start option. I would think a flagship trim level would have it standard, but I don't even see an option for it. I know there are aftermarket remote starters/security systems but they are very messy and I really don't want someone hacking up the factory wires of my brand new SUV. Have any of you found a factory remote start system? Thanks for reading

#2 ·
Here's a link to your question and what other members have done. I went with Best Buy, the guy there has done installs for over 15 years. Really depends what is available to you in your area. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he recommended BB just because of standing behind the warranty. I have many cars and take them to independent garages and love their service, but would not want them installing remote start on my 2013 Armada. After watching and talking to the guy at BB it can get tricky with Nissan's and the keyless ignition.

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31233

#3 ·
Congrats on the new 2015, I agree the remote start would be a nice feature stock and should be included. The heated seats and steering wheel heat up
fast.

#4 ·
Doesn't appear to be a simple plug and play solution. You have to bypass and splice. I would wire it myself because a mechanic doesn't care what it looks like...hell just wrap it up in duct tape and call it good. Then have fun figuring it out when you find out he didn't wire it right. If I can find JUST a remote start maybe I can leave the stock security in place and not have to bypass, but so far all I can find is starter/security alarm. What I need is a wiring schematic. But I think the Ark of the Covenant might be easier to find.

#6 ·
Went by a local shop. The 2015 Armada is now supported, wasn't back in June.

For $350, they can put in a Viper system/bypass that will work with the OEM fob. Hit lock button 3x and it starts the car.

For $450, can put in a basic Viper 2 way remote. Requires a second fob to carry around.

Thoughts?

#7 ·
Do you have a model number on that Viper system? I've been looking for a system that uses the factory remote. I got my 06 used with remote start already installed - lots of wires under the dash. Looks like a pita to install so $350 seems ok. I only ever use it at home though because I don't want to carry the extra remote. (In fact I use a Nissan key made for the Rogue with the remote built into the key head to save space). The biggest downside to using the factory remote is you will have much less remote start range with that than you will with a dedicated remote start remote.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Mine is an AstroStart brand. I believe it has some box (2 small boxes under the dash) that bypasses the need for a chipped key. No need to restart. It'll remote start with the doors locked, regular remote works to unlock, then just put the key in and turn to on and drive away. About 40% of the time I hit the brake pedal before I put he key in, which kills the engine. But that is on me. The PO told me that once the car is running with the key in it you can hit the remote start remote button, take the key out, lock the doors and walk away with the car running. Never tried it cause I leave the remote in the house.

#11 ·
Called the shop, he said it will kill the car when the door is opened and you'll have to start it up again. Ugh, that's lame! Anyone have a different experience with a newer Armada w/ Intelligent key?

#12 ·
Pokermunkee
So.... You have a 15 Armada and you found a remote starter that lets you remote start using factory FOB, (and you don't have to keep a key in the car) and when ready you just enter and turn on and drive away? Just want to be clear, because that's exactly what I'm looking for. Even the dealer told me "they don't make remote starters for your vehicle" which I already know is BS but I'd really like to know the model you're rocking.

#13 ·
buckeye,

Up until a month or two ago, the '15 Armada was not supported for remote start from the main brands. It is now.

I talked with two other shops and they both said I can't use the factory fob. Must use an after market fob. Also, once you open door, the car will shut off and you'll have to restart car again before driving off. Sucks! I'm so pissed Nissan didn't put a remote start on these $55K cars.

I'm leaning towards the $450 VIPER two way. I'm a little concerned on how it will work. Will I be able to push button on door handles to unlock car? I think I will, since when the car is running, I can still lock/unlock car from the buttons.

Going to go back to shop #1 who said I could use factory fob and see what they say. They do all of the cars for main Nissan dealer in Colorado Springs, so I'm hoping they know what they can promise.

Sucks getting in a cold vehicle, especially when it's the main kid transporter. Hate to spend $500 but I think it's a solid investment for the next 5-7 years of us driving this car.

#14 ·
Looking forward to hearing how it pans out for you. Last I heard if you want to use the factory FOB you have to leave the valet key in the car (NOPE). And the two way starter requires an additional FOB and it shuts off the engine as soon as you step on the brake (which you have to do to shift out of park). For now, I'm not interested in those options for that kinda money. Maybe things will change later down the road

#15 ·
Wanted to follow up with everyone who's interested and following. The Armada Gods are slowly releasing compatible systems for the 2015 intellikey systems. One system in particular is compustar. Here's what I'm "TOLD" (haven't had it installed Yet). http://www.compustar.com/products/remote-start/
These systems will integrate with the Armada CANbus system (the computer). And you can spend a little for a short range - or you can spend a lot for long range + security system + temp sensing + heat /AC, etc...etc...
Here's the kicker-
ALL these systems are compatible with drone mobile. It's an add on module that let's you control the vehicle using your smartphone. You can remote start your vehicle from a different state so range is not even an issue. Drone mobile modules include a temp sensor and supposedly you can set the values for auto heat or auto cool. It will also send you vehicle status updates (i.e. When someone Jacks your ride it'll let you know and will track it via GPS). If all this is true, I'll let you all know what they conveniently left out when I have it installed on the 25th. Latest price quote is approx $450 so it's a significant investment. Stay tuned but in the meantime if any of you have been seduced and burned - please let us know. That's what this forum is for.

#16 ·
WOW, that's interesting james bond stuff. Thanks for the info. and keeping us posted.

#20 ·
Not that you'd ever need to start from another state - I was just making the point that more expense for range is wasting money if you have the drone module. Earlier in the thread I explained I wasn't happy with the shortcomings of the factory option. The options are slow but they're starting to improve. I see now that viper has a similar module to drone mobile called smart start. The 5706 model works with the 15 armada, but it still kills the ignition when you open the door. Probably nothing more than a minor annoyance for some. I'm anal when it comes to a several hundred dollar investment

#21 ·
I just wonder how long the engine will run when the key fob is not around the suv. We do it all the time, truck will beep I have even backed away 20' or more with no issues just the beeping with my wife holding the keys, I know once the Ignition is shut off it will not crank back til Fob is within cab. Having a remote start that turns on heated seats and steering when needed to be ready in frigid mornings would be Classy. Al tough its just minutes to get all that once truck is started. It sucks my friends chevy 4x4 truck has remote start stock and the Platinum Armada don't. his is the Ltz package.. What makes the Nissan so Different.

#23 ·
There's no heated steering wheel. Nor is there automatic rear defrost. Even if you have them on when you shut down, remote start won't turn those on. It has to be done manually. Completely understand the confusion and frustration. The 15 Armada was never designed with remote start in mind (for some reason I'll never understand) some hippie down in Arizona was probably in charge of that. (Jokes...I love Arizona). They seemed to more interested in security/anti-theft. The seats are mechanical switches that will remain closed when you shut down, so those will come back on when you remote start. Steering wheel is push button which resets at ignition off, as well as rear defrost. No joy there. At least the main heat will come on as long as you had it on at last condition

#24 ·
Yep there is a cool factor walking out of a place of eatery and cranking up the truck/suv/car. Seems like GM has a good setup, My friends LTZ even has the cooled seats that would be nice in Socal. For what these Armada's sticker for a remote start and cooled seats to me should be included, I'm not complaining as I'm fine with out it or I could a bought a GM Tahoe which I tested out, the Armada has the built in fun factor, yes a few dropped cylinders or another high gear would be nice for better gas mileage too. I tested the Expedition, Tahoe,Suburban before I pulled the trigger on our 2015 4x4 Armada, Hands down to me seat of the pants and fun to drive and handling went to the Nissan, I love the pep of this suv which makes me forget about the remote start and air seats fast.. And as for pulling I cant even feel my 6x12 enclosed behind me when loaded down good, And it does it all on 87 octane.. The tranny temp guage is a good feature. remote start and air seats with a wet bar and mini fridge would for sure top off the yet awesome Armada platform for sure..

#26 ·
Liquid-- I test drove them ALL! The similarities between all the 7 sweaters out there are striking. It was the price tag that sold me. I test drove the 2016 Denali (for S&Gs). It was so nice it was uncomfortable. It had a decent 6.2L V8 but nothing to write home about. It was 70k. The armada had a smaller engine, but it glued me to the seat and the snap was impressive. Luxury didn't kill a herd of cows but it was "comfortable". I figured all the bells and whistles (the ones I wanted) could be acquired aftermarket. I haven't had any luck yet finding the cool feature the Denali had - you didn't need to set anything. When you remote started it knew if it was cold or hot and preheated/cooled the cabin including seats automatically. So far I haven't found a system that can do that with the 15 Armada. A dealer told me that it's not a feature of the starter, but the vehicle itself. Usually only available with factory starters that integrate with the computer. That's why people will buy that one instead of running to viper. You'll need a couple extra hundred bucks though of course. I would've ponied up that extra money, but....not available as a factory option for the 15. Go figure!

#27 ·
Yea the Denali is bad arse suv for sure . I agree the cost is a factor for me too. I work hard for every penny. I will still say the Armada is way under rated for the fun factor. But for the 2015 sticker cost of the platinum or reserve loaded should include remote start and the setup the Denali has. 50K sticker is nothing to sneeze at.. Around these parts its a mix of Armada's Q Infinitis,Denali's and Tahoes, Expeditions. Today were in a Deep freeze snow/Ice mix so I'm about to take the Armada for a spin, Our 2010 went awesome..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.