Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Attempting to expand rear shock options

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bulkhead 
#1 ·
For those that have been on here a while, you know our woes with rear shock selections, or lack of them. Well a small group of us has managed to convince a parts store to talk with ICON suspension/shock people about building a true bolt-on shock for us. Details are still being worked out, but we did clearly state what we were wanting:

1. bolt-on rear shock - no modding required
2. properly dampened/valved
3. application options (lifted applications, lowered applications, oem applications, coil-over option....)

When/as updates come through - i'll attempt to keep this thread updated.

#3 ·
Koosh, thanks for the tag. Its funny because last month, I was about to order a pair of Icon's universal 2.0 rear shocks-part #206511 , shock travel 7.5". Nothing wrong with the Rancho XLs I've had on for years now but was willing to try something different after upgrading the front with Fox 2.0 IFPs. I called Icon and found out the diameter for the eyelets are 1/2"; obviously just a bit too small for the 14mm diameter bolts the armada uses on the shocks. He mentioned the valving for them too but I forgot what the #s were.
If Icon decides to change the bushing and eyelet diameter to fit our trucks, I'm willing to try them out.

Regarding Sachs' shocks/struts, they're pretty much an OE equivalent such as Monroe, KYB, Gabriel to name a few. They're great replacements for a "stock" setup; in other words, no lift and with the right coils (non big-tow coils if removing the LE/big-tow coils).

#4 ·
I would buy 2 today!

I'm looking now for options to this problem too. I've wondered if a bracket could be devised that would attach at a current mount point and that would allow installation of a shock that doesn't otherwise fit (properly dampened of course, and that is part of the trick we face, I think given how heavy or vehicles are).

#5 ·
Also, I am planning to install PRG'S mini lift so would vote for shocks that suit that configuration. I was planning to go with Bilsteins up front but if it motivates ICON, I would entertain the idea of going ICON up front too..

Wonder if we could get a group buy going...

#7 ·
Not that I am aware of. But, there have been a number of other threads discussing the use of aftermarket shocks on our rigs.

Find many of them in the Suspension/Tires/Brakes forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.