Serpentine Belt Removal/Replacement - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rumplecat is on a distinguished road
Garage
Serpentine Belt Removal/Replacement

I was just wondering how hard it is to change out the serpentine belt on the mada. I know you have to take off the fan and there is only four bolts. What about the auto tensioner how do you loosen it? Any help is appreciated.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
I would think you should be able to slip it around the fan without removing the fan. You might need to remove the Air Inake Tube out of your way but that should be about it I think. For the Auto Tensioner Idler Pulley, I think if you turn the bolt counterclockwise, it should relax the belt enough to get it off. I've usually just used a socket wrench to move that pulley on my other vehicles.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#3 Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
trueblue01gt
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trueblue01gt is on a distinguished road
you dont need to remove anything to get the belt off

well other than the airtube to give you some room to see

its tough though there is a special tool that is used to take pressure off the tensioner, then there is a hole that you need to put a pin into to hold the tensioner

i just pulled up real hard on the belt until the holes lined up

then stuck a small allen head wrench in the lines up holes to hold the tensioner so i could remove/install the belt

Josh
01 Supercharged Mustang GT 400rwhp 358rwtq

04 Armada K12 LE, 2* timing advance, k&n drop in, airbox mod, JBA 3" exhaust, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, bug guard, painted engine cover, 4300k HIDs,4300k hid fogs, qx56 mudflaps, Bridgestone dueler a/t d695, optima red top, polk dbs 6.5" in all 4 doors, tech12volt underseat sub, jvc 200w amp, 8" kicker compvt shallow mount sub, looking to paint stock rims black this spring, tinting tails this spring/summer
#4 Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
suddenurge
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
suddenurge is on a distinguished road
No need to remove anything. The belt goes behind the fan but not over it. Use a 1/2" drive ratchet with a 14mm socket for the belt tensioner. Push to your left (passenger side) to release the tension, and insert a 1/16" allen wrench into the hole on the tensioner and its backplate. That will keep the tensioner in a released position. Look at the tensioner closely, and you'll see the two holes. Draw a diagram of the belt routing before you remove the old belt. Make sure the new belt is seated in each pulley correctly. Installing the new belt should take about 30 minutes if you never did one before. I'm running with a Goodyear Gatorback belt #4070975, a much better belt than the $12 OEM.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, S&B GEN 3 CAI (currently Airaid 4" MXP), Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub, Autoenginuity/enhanced Nissan software. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI.
#5 Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Thank you so much guys! So what bolt do I need to remove? Bolt b on the blow up pic on the side?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta60_117-1.gif
Views:	23017
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	7407  

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
#6 Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 AM
trueblue01gt
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenurge View Post
$12 OEM.

hahaha

the dealer here wanted $147 for the belt not including labor when i was in for an oil change

went to napa and it was like $50 or so

Josh

04 Armada K12 LE, 2* timing advance, k&n drop in, airbox mod, JBA 3" exhaust, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, bug guard, painted engine cover, 4300k HIDs,4300k hid fogs, qx56 mudflaps, Bridgestone dueler a/t d695, optima red top, polk dbs 6.5" in all 4 doors, tech12volt underseat sub, jvc 200w amp, 8" kicker compvt shallow mount sub, looking to paint stock rims black this spring, tinting tails this spring/summer
#7 Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 AM
trueblue01gt
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplecat View Post
Thank you so much guys! So what bolt do I need to remove? Bolt b on the blow up pic on the side?

dont take out any bolts

Josh

#8 Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM
suddenurge
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
suddenurge is on a distinguished road
Rumple, the belt tensioner bolt does not get removed. Turn it counter clockwise, and that moves the tensioner arm and relieves the tension on the belt.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, S&B GEN 3 CAI (currently Airaid 4" MXP), Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub, Autoenginuity/enhanced Nissan software. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI.
#9 Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Well I got the Goodyear Gatorback belt #4070975 and put it on in about 15min. It was a piece of cake saved me about $120. I got the belt for $31 at Auto Zone. I really recommend this belt because is a lot quieter than the OEM belt.

James

#10 Old 02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
marctronixx
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
marctronixx is on a distinguished road
when is a good time to replace this belt? i know it probably varies and by eyeballin..but whats a rough estimate?
rump, did yours have signs of stress/damage? or did you replace due to age?

apologies for stupid question...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode