#1 Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
ronnieramos
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ronnieramos is on a distinguished road
White Smoke solved.

So I have a 04 nissan armada. I bought it years back on the day it was released here in Virginia. A few months ago I started my beastie up and noticed this white smoke coming out of the the exhaust only for a few seconds after it starts. At first i thought it was in need of an oil change so I changed the oil and oil filter. The smoke disappeared for few days. Then after another start it smoked again. I also noticed it smelled like burning oil. So I then change the PCV valves. It solved the problem for a while. THEN again it came back.

So I bring it to the dealership. They tell me I need a new engine which would cost $7000 new or $5500 used. So I tell em no and go back home (from past experience i know they are trying to make money because they quoted me $530 on an A/C panel replacement, which I did my self I bought the panel for $180 and it only took me 5 to 10 minutes to replace).

Anyways, back to the story. I did some research and I decided to replace both valve cover and valve cover gaskets (which cost me $120 total brand new OE parts). This took me a whole day to do cause when I replaced the valve cover I also decide to clean all the built up gunk. I also replace the PCV valves again cause the valve covers I purchased came with new ones. PROBLEM SOLVED. I have put at least 350 miles on the beast since and it still has NOT smoked. NO burning oil smell and it is running like I just bought it. I am so ecstatic about it. Cause I really did not want to put out 5 grand for no reason.

I also have pictures of the new parts and replacement process if anybody wants.

Last edited by ronnieramos; 03-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
#3 Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Pics please.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#4 Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Rumplecat is on a distinguished road
Garage
What They said ^^

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
#5 Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
ColbyH
SHIFT_Lurker

ColbyH is on a distinguished road
My own white smoke problem

I just purchased a 2005 Armada 1 month ago. When I drive any significant distance and then turn the car off it will blow white smoke out of the tailpipe. It only has 54,000 miles on it so i went to a local Nissan dealership and they told me that they could not do any warranty work on it unless I had the maintenance records. Well since i bought it used, I don't have any maintenance records but i have changed the oil and filter once with an oil treatment but it did not seem to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The Armada is amazing but the smoke is embarrasing.
#6 Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
For warranty work, I don't think maintenance records are an issue. You have 54K miles and the warranty is for 3y or 36K. The emmisions warranty is 80K.

Since you only had it a month, it sounds like the previous owner may not have kept up on the maintenance. You may want to drop the oil pan and clean out the gunk as well as the valve covers as ronnieramos did.

Good luck!
#7 Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
jcorvair
SHIFT_Enthusiast

jcorvair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jcorvair
New PCV valve(s) is always good. I have had them go bad.

Good Luck.

James

'06 Mazda 3 Sport, Gt - Luxury Package (Sunroof, heated leather, etc.)
'05 Sebring
'09 Silverado HD 4x4 Crew Cab, Olympic Vehicle
'65 Corvair Monza 140/4spd
'65 Corvair Corsa Convertible 180/4spd
#8 Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
ColbyH
SHIFT_Lurker

I'll look into all of the information you guys have given me. Thanks for the help!
#9 Old 05-03-2009, 05:08 PM
ColbyH
SHIFT_Lurker

I took my armada to another Nissan dealership and they told me that I have a severe amount of sludge build-up because the people who owned it before me never changed the oil. I bought it about 45 days ago from a used car dealership and it did not start the smoking until about 2 weeks after i bought it. I have spent the last month going to Nissan dealerships trying to see if this could be a warranty issue and they all said no and the last one told me that i should return it to the dealer and get my money back. i am meeting with the dealership manager monday to see what they think they should have to do. I'm sure that it wont be what im thinking but we will see. I would really like to see if they will just either manually have the whole thing cleaned-out or new engine put in but what do you guys think? I love the Armada though!!! Any help would be great, thanks.
#10 Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
kenedytxarmada
SHIFT_Hardcore

kenedytxarmada is on a distinguished road
If the body and interior are good at minimal I would negotiate a remanufactured motor. Otherwise have them take it back..................

2002 Frontier, 2008 Armada SE, 2011 Altima 3.5SR, 2011 Titan SV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode