SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Question Brakes Questions....

I need help, I'm soo confused.

I've searched and read through quite a few threads and I still can't figure out what I need to get. My pads are worn (63k miles) and my rotors have plenty of life but they're warped. The cost of having them turned is the same as buying a new cross-drilled rotor so I'd rather replace the front rotors.

I've found aftermarket to be much cheaper than OEM. I'm trying to figure out if I have Akebono or Bosch or if it even matters.

I had the Brake Fix done, the sticker on the back plate says "Bosch", so does that mean I have Bosch?? Does anyone's actually say Akebono??

So, what if I order the 350mm (Akebono) instead of the 320mm (Bosch), does it matter??

Does anyone have long term experience with Burtman's kit or the EBC stuff that Discount Tire is selling??

This is what I've found so far w/ free shipping, what do you guys think??

http://www.r1concepts.com/

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.11830

Sku : 105.11830
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper; 320mm Front Disc
Sales Price:$ 53.50 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 85.60

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.11830

Sku: 106.11830
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$53.40 (axle set)
$53.40

--------------------------------------

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.10410

Sku : 105.10410
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 41.95 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 67.12

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.10410

Sku: 106.10410
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$46.30 (axle set)
$46.30

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Rotors - Cross-Drilled & Slotted EX.42090

Sku : EX.42090
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 131.20 (pair)
Retail Price:$ 209.92

- TIA

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 03-18-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
9balllrook
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
9balllrook is on a distinguished road
like she says "size matters", you should use the 320mm. Mack at brakewarehouse fixed me up.
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/
Call him and he'll explain it to you. I used the cyro treated rotors and ceramic pads he suggested and they work great.

Jerry's 06 SE off road
07+ Intake, Injen CAI, JBA long tubes, Gibson Cat Back, UpRev tuned, 08 caliper kit w/ Frozen/Slotted Rotors, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Stillen 2-row/aluminum Radiator, PML pan, TransGo shift kit, 2" PRG lift, Bilstein 5100s, 20" Fuel Pump w/295/60/20 Terra Graps, 4ga. Grounding Kit, LEDs & HIDs, Kenwood DNX-9960 Alpine PDX amps, Kef separates,
(2) underseat subs w/Kenwood 10' slims, Twin Stinger Batteries, remote start & protection by Python

#3 Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM
norcal05SE
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
norcal05SE is on a distinguished road
pops, go with some slotted rotors for sure. as for the size, i really dont know, i've yet to change any of my stuff. as for the ebc, i've used their pads for years in my streetbikes for track duty, they are awesome.

Matt
#4 Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
armadman
SHIFT_Enthusiast

armadman is on a distinguished road
Hey pops,
i understand your frustration and/or confusion.
as for pads, i've have gone through many and have found that the OEM ones are the best in grip and in dust. Very little dust is produced.
As for rotors. Take a look at Stillen.com they produce quality stuff for nissan cars. a little pricey but very good quality.

Also, you should consider to upgrading to stainless steel brake lines if u havent alreday.
Given that your truck is lifted and requires more stopping power, ss lines would provide a more linear braking power as the lines would not expand like the rubber ones.

if u have any more questions feel free to pm or reply.
shawn

www.Pomelicot.com
Keep it real!
#5 Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Chris03HD
SHIFT_Hardcore

Chris03HD is on a distinguished road
Bob, I just had to replace ours this summer.. warpped as well.

Just sharing my experience, I went with RotorPro's Black Zinc coated, slotted and dimpled rotors and hawk pads. Stops better then it ever did, and an added bonus of the zinc coating is no more rust on the hats and other non brake pad wear surfaces..

www.ROTORPROS.NET

I can post a pic tomorrow if you like.

#6 Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
#7 Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Chris03HD
SHIFT_Hardcore

Chris03HD is on a distinguished road
Eric, not so bad actually.

Surprising being as this is a full duty "city miles" driven family hauler (lots of stop & go).

#8 Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
armoody
SHIFT_Hardcore

armoody is on a distinguished road
This is a very timely thread. I haven't visited for a while, and was just doing some research at brakewarehouse and ran into the same thing Pops did. There are 3 different listings for rotors based on year/month. I would have thought that there would just be a single, current spec based on the last service bulletin/design but I guess not. Since the next go round will be on my nickle I want to make sure to do it right, knew right where to turn!

05 LE 4x4
Galaxy / Graphite

Bug Guard
Big Tow
Grounding Kit
Chrome LP Frames
Cargo Mat
RCA inputs for DVD selection
3M film on the driving lights
Thule Cargo Box
Wheel Locks
K&N Filter
Mobil 1
.. and that's it.
#9 Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
sinnerFA
SHIFT_Enthusiast

sinnerFA is on a distinguished road
I went with the Hawk Performance Ceramic (front HB567Z694/ rear HB555Z678) and have not had any issues and very little brake dust issues... I had enough meat on the rotors so at the time I decided not to replace or upgrade, but when I do I plan on using drilled.... The pads were a little pricey, but IMO they were a great choice.

I did also upgrade to stainless brake lines while I had it up in the air also.

'05 Armada LE 4x4 - Red Brawn (AEM Brute Force Intake, Active Tuning Ground Kit "RED", Gibson Cat-Back, AirRaid TBS, Nitto TerraGrappler 325/60-18)
#10 Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thanks for all the help guys!!!! FWIW, my brake lines are extended lines made of Braided Stainless Steel. They were included as part of the Pro Comp Lift.

I tried calling Rotor Pros yesterday but I was too late due to the time zone difference. I called Brake Warehouse today and they spec'd out the exact same Posi-Quiet configuration as posted above through R1 except it was gonna cost about $200 more.

So this boiled down to me wondering about the difference between the Ceramic and Extended Wear pads so I called Centric (the mfgr of Posi-Quiet) directly and asked them. The Tech Support rep said they recommend Ceramic for the Nissan Final Brake Fix and newer. He said the Extended Wear option was only for the 2004-2005 models that haven't had the final brake fix done.

So, I went ahead and placed my order with R1 Concepts since they're running a sale that includes free shipping.

SKU TITLE QTY UNIT PRICE

105.10410 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.10410 1 - $41.95

105.11830 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.11830 1 - $53.50

EDS.42090 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Rotors - Cross-Drilled & Slotted EDS.42090 1 - $131.20

UPS Ground Paypal Subtotal: $226.65
Shipping: $30.71
Promotional Savings:
--Free Shipping (Free Shipping above $150) -$30.71

Total: $226.65

---------------------------------------

Oh, and as I asked all of them if the slotted +cross drilled affected pad wear different than just cross drilled, they all said "not really, it does help with stopping a little better but doesn't wear the pads any faster enough to be noticeable." R1 Concepts reminded me they have a 1-yr satisfaction guarantee so he said I can return them in free exchange for the non-slotted if I don't like them.

Guess we'll see....

(Update 5-mos later: Mar 2010) I've had no problems with these rotors at all. Absolutely NO Dust, no signs of wear, but there is a little bit of noise kinda like quiet delivery truck brakes that sounds typical of Cermaic Pads to me. I ordered a pair of replacement semi-metallic Front pads that I might change out sometime later to alleviate that little bit of noise and compare the difference, but the rotors seem to be doing very well so far.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 03-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode