JBA Exhaust Install 2005 Armada - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM
S30TRBO
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
S30TRBO is on a distinguished road
JBA Exhaust Install 2005 Armada

So the wife bought her Armada in December 2011 used with 60K miles on it. She bought it from the original owner who at some point put this bolt-on tip on it.

It lived up in northern Maryland where they love to salt the roads during the winter months even when there is a chance of snow. Due to poor exhaust
material the OEM systems days were numbered and short lived.

Arrived perfect purchased through Autoanything.com for $335 shipped!! Great deal at the time. Part number: 40-1405.

Before

I purchased new mounting brackets and hardware from Nissan.

Rear section off

Muffler Compare

Y-Pipe compare

I ran into a problem on the rear b-pipe studs and nuts. I purchased new ones from Nissan in anticipation of them stripping.

My propane torch did not get hot enough to get these suckers out so I had to take it to a shop with an acetylene torch.

After:

Joe

Inventory
-1971 Datsun 240Z (STB) Turbo
-1979 Datsun 810 Project Blackbird
-1997 Nissan King cab XE For Sale
-2005 Nissan Armada LE * 2 Degree, JBA Exhaust, Diode Dynamics Low Beam HID Conversion 6000K.*

Attention to Detailz - Automotive Detailing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 PM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
primoV8 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to primoV8
Looks good. The same thing happened to me years ago, ended up with the JBA and its been great since. I did add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator sometime last year and it completely eliminated the notorious exhaust drone (55-60mph) and cabin resonance.

2004 LE
FX-R V.2 Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit
Philips Ultinon D2S 6K bulbs - Philips Ballasts
FX-R V.1 Bi-xenon projector "FOG" Retrofit
TRS D2S 3K bulbs - TRS Ballasts
SMD-LED Int/Ext via ArmaDen
JBA Evol SS Catback
PRT B-pipes 300 cell
Airaid MXP CAI
2* Timing Advance
Power Acoustiks 9" LCD headrest monitors

2011 MB GL550
D1S 6K bulbs

2012 Audi A5
D3S 6K bulbs
#3 Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Invanity
SHIFT_Hardcore

Invanity is on a distinguished road
nice write up man! Excellent

How does it sound?

-Eli...apparently my tranny shifts hardcore
04 Armada Moto Metal 18s, 305/65/18 BFG All-Terrains, Pinch Weld Mod, Titan 08+ 4x4 coils, Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), Rancho quicklift rear, 22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, tinted tails, Billet grille, Armaden LED package, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 4 - ELM327 bluetooth, Die Hard Gold, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012 Ride of the Month...Thanks guys
#4 Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Carlo12377
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Carlo12377 is on a distinguished road
thats awesome! how do these compare to the Gibsons? i am thinking of doing this mod next year

2006 Armada LE silver, Injen CAI, 2* Advance, Carid Rear spoiler, Burtman window sills, Door mouldings, Front + Rear Oem Mudflaps, Front Bullbar w Hella Comets, Bilstein 5100 fronts, Hid 5k Lows
#5 Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 AM
S30TRBO
SHIFT_Newbie

S30TRBO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Looks good. The same thing happened to me years ago, ended up with the JBA and its been great since. I did add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator sometime last year and it completely eliminated the notorious exhaust drone (55-60mph) and cabin resonance.
Thanks! The drone really doesn't bother us as much as others stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invanity View Post
nice write up man! Excellent

How does it sound?
Thanks, it sounds great! I love the engine/exhaust brake when you let off in OD its really noticeable now. Also when you first start it up in the morning the initial crank wakes the neighbors too which is nice then calms down until you step on it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo12377 View Post
thats awesome! how do these compare to the Gibsons? i am thinking of doing this mod next year
Thanks. I'm not really sure what the difference performance wise is. If its cost over function I would make sure and get stainless steel over aluminized as it will last longer.

I am happy with JBA we will be doing the LT headers and b-pipes later. I need to do the 2* timing next..

Joe

Inventory
-1971 Datsun 240Z (STB) Turbo
-1979 Datsun 810 Project Blackbird
-1997 Nissan King cab XE For Sale
-2005 Nissan Armada LE * 2 Degree, JBA Exhaust, Diode Dynamics Low Beam HID Conversion 6000K.*

Attention to Detailz - Automotive Detailing
#6 Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
spta97 is on a distinguished road
Joe,

I have this exact problem and ordered this exact exhaust. Unfortunately it has been delayed and is supposed to ship on 12/14. I'm amazed at how often the same exact flange on the Armada exhaust has failed on so many vehicles. Since it has been delayed I have muffler tape holding it in place.

I was actually going to cut off the flange and use a slip pipe with clamps but I'll leave that as a last resort as the tape seems to be holding up (although slightly leaking).

There were some good tips here - I didn't think to look at the hanger but I'm pretty nervous about the bolts on the b-pipes snapping. I got new nuts for them but on Titan Talk most people said that the bolts would be resusable. Do you think you could have saved the bolts? I'm not sure how I would deal with it without having to go to a shop.

What are your longer term impressions of the sound? I didn't want anything too loud and most people on TT said this was the most tame.

My plan is to clamp it on and live with it for a few weeks. If I'm ok I'll get it welded as is, if not I'll get the Ultra Quiet resonator and have them weld that on along with the connections on the rest of the exhaust.

Giggity

Last edited by spta97; 12-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.
#7 Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Primo - where did you have the UQ resonator mounted? On the OEM exhaust there is a resonator after the muffler but I have been reading that most people install the UQ before the muffler on the JBA.

Giggity
#8 Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Primo - where did you have the UQ resonator mounted? On the OEM exhaust there is a resonator after the muffler but I have been reading that most people install the UQ before the muffler on the JBA.
Here you go:

I had PRT B-pipes installed a couple months ago and glad to say, only at WOT, the exhaust tone picks up but the Volant cai is much more audible.

2004 LE
JBA Evol SS Catback
PRT B-pipes 300 cell
Airaid MXP CAI
2* Timing Advance

2011 MB GL550
D1S 6K bulbs

2012 Audi A5
D3S 6K bulbs
#9 Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Primo - Thanks for the pic. What made you install it there? Was it upon recommendation or was that just the best location for fitment?

I am wondering how much of an impact it has before / after the muffler and what difference it makes on where it is installed on the pipe.

How would you describe the loudness of this exhaust before the b-pipe install? I'm a little worried I'm gonna hate this as I don't want to be listening to the exhaust while cruising at normal speeds.

Giggity
#10 Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Similar to Magnaflow's catback, they also have a resonator installed inline, via the tail pipe section.
I also did some reading about the Zoomers resonated tip, but I felt those were overpriced/overrated.

Since the muffler is placed mid-chassis, the length of the tail pipe and exhaust tip helps produce a more audible exhaust tone. Even more so when an aftermarket catback system with larger diameter piping is installed.

When the shop was done installing the vibrant ultra quiet resonator, I didn't even realize they had started the truck up. The difference was night and day and at WOT, the sound coming from the Volant cai demanded all the attention. Gone was the aggressive exhaust tone which I missed but at the same time, the cabin resonance/drone was eliminated.

Even with the current addition of the PRT b-pipes, there is still no cabin resonance/drone and would recommend this to anyone looking to upgrade their exhaust system.

2004 LE
JBA Evol SS Catback
PRT B-pipes 300 cell
Airaid MXP CAI
2* Timing Advance

2011 MB GL550