? for all you HOUSE experts -help - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ? for all you HOUSE experts -help

So im looking to buy a house but the draw back is this places termites on the outside decks and patio (which i will tear down). the inspection also state it has termites in the exterior and sub area, plywall sheating in sub area, evidence of fungus/dryrot, excessive moisture noted at sub area and excessive moisture was noted at flaky stucco exterior. just note that this isnt happening throughout the house just certain parts.

my question/s would be should i even bother with it? it seems that the inspector made lots of recommendations to the current owner. I just dont want to be 'surprise' and come to find out there are more issues under these. what else can i do to make sure im not running into a 70K renovation vs a 30K renovation.

will attached a picture later. thanks

the dotted lines are the patios/deck. and other dotted line on the side is home made shed (will be remove by me if i buy it)
2a= evidence of drywood termites noted in exterior and sub area
2b=drywood termites in plywall sheating
2c evidence of termite damage in eaves
2d=termites in balcony
2e=termites in deck
3a=fungus/dryrot in plywall sheating in sub area
3b=fungus/dryrt in sub floor under kitchen
3c=fungus/dryrot noted in window trim
3d= fungus/dryrot balcony joints etc.
4a= earth to wood contact
4b=excessive moisture at sub area soil
4c=excessive moisture noted at flaky stucco on exterior.

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 11-08-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Kooshtaka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
So im looking to buy a house but the draw back is this places termites on the outside decks and patio (which i will tear down). the inspection also state it has termites in the exterior and sub area, plywall sheating in sub area, evidence of fungus/dryrot, excessive moisture noted at sub area and excessive moisture was noted at flaky stucco exterior. just note that this isnt happening throughout the house just certain parts.

my question/s would be should i even bother with it? it seems that the inspector made lots of recommendations to the current owner. I just dont want to be 'surprise' and come to find out there are more issues under these. what else can i do to make sure im not running into a 70K renovation vs a 30K renovation.

will attached a picture later. thanks

the dotted lines are the patios/deck. and other dotted line on the side is home made shed (will be remove by me if i buy it)
2a= evidence of drywood termites noted in exterior and sub area
2b=drywood termites in plywall sheating
2c evidence of termite damage in eaves
2d=termites in balcony
2e=termites in deck
3a=fungus/dryrot in plywall sheating in sub area
3b=fungus/dryrt in sub floor under kitchen
3c=fungus/dryrot noted in window trim
3d= fungus/dryrot balcony joints etc.
4a= earth to wood contact
4b=excessive moisture at sub area soil
4c=excessive moisture noted at flaky stucco on exterior.

personally I might be inclined to not even bother and move on to the next house, but if the house has everything you are truly wanting and is a terrific deal I would possibly make offer contingent upon above areas being fixed with proof provided by second inspection, and also ask for comprehensive houses inspection for further issues.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: UpRev, GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
#3 Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

yeah, i decided to walk and not deal with it. a little termites i can deal with but the frame/structures and not sure what else that wasnt visible to the inspector eyes makes me worry. and i dont want to buy a place and the first thing on the list is worry.

'04 LE
#4 Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Heard this from somebody a long time ago...

"There are only two kinds of houses, those with termites, and those about to get termites."

Good luck!!

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#5 Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
You'll be walking into a money pit... Termites are one thing, but you're also talking about fungus, dryrot, earth-wood contact, and top all off all of the above with repeated mentioning of excessive moisture... Yea, you're in for a suprise, then another, then another, then another.... Think of it as getting ran over by a Mack truck then everytime you're getting back up another one runs over you and it continues for a whole year, that's pretty much what damage from excessive moisture leads into. If you want to come out ahead, offer them $50.00 for the place, then bulldoze it down, then build a new structure the RIGHT way beginning with either pouring a very thick concrete slab or setting up steel w/ concrete stilts so these problems will be gone for good.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 11-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.
#6 Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

LOL... you guys made me actually LOL. Yeah termites are pretty much every where in California and pretty much every home has some form or another. But its the extend of the infestation. Bob I would do that in a heart beat if they would agree to the price.

My wife and I decided to skip it. There will be plenty more to choose from.

Trying to send this from GNex using auto guide app.

'04 LE
#7 Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
bloodieddoc
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bloodieddoc is on a distinguished road
Pop's,

Richard, like me, lives in California. Out here, we would have to do an environmental impact study, which would take about five years to get the permits to start the Bull Dozer up. In those five years, the Termites and Fungus would eventually grow and colonize to a point that PETA, and other groups would be protesting outside the house, "Because the fungus and the termites have a right to live along side us humans, they are living creatures", which at that point the guy driving the Bulldozer could not get through the protest, and would have to stop, bring in the law, and then court dates which would eventually go to the Supreme Court, as to whether or not the Termite and the Fungus has a right to live, or be evicted due to being a "Squatter".

I love California, and all the fruits and nuts we have here.....

***Disclaimer, not sure if that would actually happen, but here it is possible. This is a joke, I think…

Chris

2008 Armada SE, Drivers Pkg, Smoke, Airbox Mod with K&N filter, R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Ceramics pads. 2 degree advance
2013 Altima 2.5S
2006 Equinox
1998 Altima
1998 Frontier
#8 Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
ROFLMAO...... Then maybe a SledgeHammer with a "Oops I guess it decided to fall down while I was replacing some rotted drywall"? - lol....

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#9 Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Hahaha...bloodiedoc u hit the nail on the head. 99.9999% accurate. The nuts and fruits that "grow" is due to the weather. :/ Californians are so open minded that if there is a tremor their brains might fall out. Hahaha

Trying to send this from GNex using auto guide app.

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 11-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
#10 Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM
bloodieddoc
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bloodieddoc is on a distinguished road
Don't get me wrong, I love it out here, at least the weather. Some of the things that happen out here, whether it is new laws or what you have to do and go through to get something done, is what I find crazy. My neighbor wanted to put in a pool in his backyard, and when they did the permits, found out that the heavy machinery would have to drive through a area to get to his backyard repeatedly that had a certain type of bird nesting in that area, and he wanted to have to pool open by summer, but that was when the bird's were migrating and nesting in that area, which would of disturbed them, so he had to put off putting the pool in until the birds left for the season. Crazy...

Chris

2008 Armada SE, Drivers Pkg, Smoke, Airbox Mod with K&N filter, R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Ceramics pads. 2 degree advance
2013 Altima 2.5S
2006 Equinox
1998 Altima
1998 Frontier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode