JDFSU
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JDFSU is on a distinguished road
New Vehicle Help

Hello All,

Since all of you were great help on if to keep my bull bar I figure I would ask for your insight on a new vehicle. Don't worry my Armada isn't going anywhere. My wife is pregnant with our third child and she drives a 7 series BMW. No fitting three car seats in that. So now we are trying to find her a car that she likes. I offered for her to drive my Mada but she felt like it was too big for her and she wasn't comfortable driving. I know it isn't like the 750 is a small car but don't go there I have already lost that argument. After a month of car shopping she has come down to two vehicles she likes. Don't know if any of you have them but would like your pros or cons.

Infinity JX35 AWD and the Nissan Quest LE. I know before any of you say it yes they both have the CVT and we have already had that discussion. Unfortunately the Nissan Pathfinder is out because for whatever reason Nissan in their great wisdom decided the Pathfinder didn't need a blind spot monitor. (they put it on almost everything else so go figure) That was a deal killer for my wife. The JX has it and every other electric safety feature Nissan/Infiniti can offer and the ability to access the third row without removing car seats (awesome). The Quest has the cargo room and is cheaper.

Both would be 2013's. I hate to see the 750i but I have to. Sad to see her go with such low miles only 44700 (pic below) Thanks for your insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-25_16-57-00_128.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	11578  

07 Granite Armada (Sold)
11 Armada Platinum Silver Lightning (sadly traded)
13 Infiniti JX35 AWD
13 VW Touareg TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Being that im not a mini van type, i say JX. Plus its AWD and the 3rd row access (wish the armada has that). Minus points, the JX is a 1st generation and you dont know what types of issues it has in store and price. With that i still say JX.

the Quest if you plan on doing this.

i guess the MDX is out of the question if you narrow it down to these two.

'04 LE
post #3 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Kooshtaka is on a distinguished road
Have you thrown the FX out? I know it doesn't have a 3rd row, but personally I like the shape/design better than the JX...
Another thought would be an Xterra Pro 4 x. that's what me and the wife are looking at. we have two that are in boosters and one in a forward-facing. Also my wife is about 5' 3ish and likes the size of the Xterra.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #4 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
JDFSU
SHIFT_Hardcore

Got to have 3 rows. Two will be in forward facing seats another rear facing. Hard to fit three across in anything given that set up.

JX was the best suv option because of the third row access witb mounted car seats. Had an mdx and access to the third row is tough with two car seats in second row. FX was out due to no third row. Quest is practical but neither of us want it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

07 Granite Armada (Sold)
13 Infiniti JX35 AWD
13 VW Touareg TDI
post #5 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFSU View Post
Quest is practical but neither of us want it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
You had the answer all along.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'04 LE
post #6 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
marctronixx
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
marctronixx is on a distinguished road
with the choices, JX all the way. its a baby QX!
post #7 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
JDFSU
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
You had the answer all along.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yeah that is what I was thinking but I wanted someone to tell me I am stupid and with 3 kids I am nuts getting another SUV to just suck it up and buy the Quest. Glad no one is saying that

JX it is......Funny thing is if we lease them the JX is actually cheaper than the Quest. The MSRP's are different by over $13k too. Go figure. Now I just need my wife to pick a color.
That will be Fun.

Thanks everyone for offering up your opinion.

07 Granite Armada (Sold)
13 Infiniti JX35 AWD
13 VW Touareg TDI
post #8 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Neither.... My vote is for an BMW X5 with the optional 3rd row seat. Besides the sweet twin-turbo finesse, the Plastic Body Panels will help alot for preventing door dings and scratches while unloading & loading the kids in tight parking spots. Bang for the buck, it's a better deal than either of the previously mentioned IMHO.

Also, be sure to take a look at a Mercedes GL450. My mother bought a GL350 because I talked her into a diesel since she was concerned about MPG then added HID headlights into the purchase deal, and she absolutely loves it. It is the largest German SUV we looked at for her and there is plenty of room in the GL if an X5 is too small for what your wife is wanting. The GL450 is a Twin-Turbo 4.6L w/ 7-sp Auto kicking 362hp. The GL550 is a Twin-Turbo 4.6L w/ 7sp Auto kicking 429hp, so the GL is a nice alternative to an X5 if the X5 is too small. My pop bought a loaded out Mercedes CLS 550 4matic for $90k and that is one badass little sedan.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 11-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.
post #9 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
JDFSU
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Neither.... My vote is for an BMW X5 with the optional 3rd row seat. Besides the sweet twin-turbo finesse, the Plastic Body Panels will help alot for preventing door dings and scratches while unloading & loading the kids in tight parking spots. Bang for the buck, it's a better deal than either of the previously mentioned IMHO.

Also, be sure to take a look at a Mercedes GL450. My mother bought a GL350 because I talked her into a diesel since she was concerned about MPG then added HID headlights into the purchase deal, and she absolutely loves it. It is the largest German SUV we looked at for her and there is plenty of room in the GL if an X5 is too small for what your wife is wanting. The GL450 is a Twin-Turbo 4.6L w/ 7-sp Auto kicking 362hp. The GL550 is a Twin-Turbo 4.6L w/ 7sp Auto kicking 429hp, so the GL is a nice alternative to an X5 if the X5 is too small. My pop bought a loaded out Mercedes CLS 550 4matic for $90k and that is one badass little sedan.

Pops the X5 hands down is the best driving SUV if not vehicle. I know I owned one. Other than the gas fume and fire issue (can explain if you ever want to know) the third row is useless. Second with two car seats in the second row access to the third row is impossible. My kids aren't old enough to strap themselves in
The GL was on the list but the third row access killed it. We would have to mount two car seats in the third row and my wife is too short to reach back there so she would have to climb in the vehicle to strap them in. (again if you mount two car seats in the second row no easy access to third row) Was too difficult for her. Drove the GL350 (love the diesel) and the 550 (oh my so fast) and the interior is so sweet. Second if you saw my wife drive you would not put her in a $90k SUV...BODY SHOP ANYONE. Only reason she had a 7 was because I bought it for the price of a 550i.

Both the X5 and the GL are amazing SUV's but not a fit for us right now. 3 small kids really killed our options. We looked at the following:

2013 GMC Acadia Denali
2013 BUICK Enclave
BMW X5 and Acura MDX I have owned
Toyota Sienna
Honda Odyssey
Infinity JX35
2013 Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Quest
Audi Q7
Infiniti QX56
Cadillac Escalade
2013 Mercedes GL
Chrysler Town and Country
Dodge Durango
Land Rover LR4

If it was me there are quite a few on this list I would have picked first but she needs to be able to drive it and it needs to be easy for her to get the kids in and out.
Thanks

07 Granite Armada (Sold)
13 Infiniti JX35 AWD
13 VW Touareg TDI
post #10 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFSU View Post
.... Second if you saw my wife drive you would not put her in a $90k SUV...BODY SHOP ANYONE. ...
That's funny because that's the exact same reason I won't buy one. I've had to replace 3 bumpers and rebuild one front end and she is currently driving with another destroyed bumper, so I try to keep her in something that I can buy parts cheap for and fix it myself.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode