Steering Shimmy / Shake over Bumps - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
emower419
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emower419 is on a distinguished road
Steering Shimmy / Shake over Bumps

Before I start into this project to correct I wanted to get some input and areas of known concern on these Titan / Armada Front ends.

Problem:
Over sharp bumps, potholes, rail road tracks, ect... I get a pretty sevear shimmy through the steering wheel.

I'm not so sure it is bad shocks because I don't have any other problems with a bouncy front end. To make it worse my drivers door rattle (bangs against the door jam at the top rear corner when the steering shimmys. Since this truck uses a Rack instead of Old School crappy Steering I don't see a need for a stablizer but it sure feels like it could use one.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
bump steer..replace the front shocks with either bilstein HD or 5100. difference 5100 are height adjustable.

'04 LE
#3 Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Kooshtaka is on a distinguished road
also make sure tires properly inflated.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: UpRev, GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
#4 Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
steveg_nh is on a distinguished road
I also thought it was bump steer on mine, but the dealer, under an extended warranty, replaced a bad tie rod and the sway bar bushings, and it was like a new truck again.

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
#5 Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
blackArmada_Dxb
SHIFT_Hardcore

blackArmada_Dxb is on a distinguished road
Most probably you need new shocks, but sometimes a full 4 wheel drive alignment can also help.
#6 Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
primoV8 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to primoV8
Any vehicle with the modern macpherson strut setup like our armadas will always have some type of bump steer. The reason why this happens is because the ends of the steering arms move in a different arc/angle than the wheels when the suspension has to move up or down. Even worse when its a poorly designed suspension geometry mated with a poor set of shocks as what Nissan has done with our trucks.

Although bump steer cannot be eliminated with simple bolt-ons, these simple modifications can be done to lessen the effect. Simple mods such as upgrading the front shocks (i.e. Bilstein, Rancho XLs). Even if you stiffen up the front end by eliminating all rubber bushings, eyelets, etc. and replace them with urethane (i.e. Energy Suspension, Prothane) to reduce suspension travel, too stiff of a ride will have its own issues as well.

There are extreme measures that can be done to the suspension system but unless you plan on autocrossing with the armada, stick with the upgraded shocks and a proper 4-wheel alignment.

2004 LE
FX-R V.2 Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit
Philips Ultinon D2S 6K bulbs - Philips Ballasts
FX-R V.1 Bi-xenon projector "FOG" Retrofit
TRS D2S 3K bulbs - TRS Ballasts
SMD-LED Int/Ext via ArmaDen
JBA Evol SS Catback
PRT B-pipes 300 cell
Airaid MXP CAI
2* Timing Advance
Power Acoustiks 9" LCD headrest monitors
#7 Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
08ArmadaSE
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
08ArmadaSE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
unless you plan on autocrossing with the armada, .
Hmmm.... I wonder....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2008 Armada SE
No Mods as of yet. Wife doesnt want anything done to it but we will see.

2010 Titan Pro-4x:
Maganflow DISO muffler with JBA tip. Factory matched window tint. Tinted tailights, Debadged. Volant Powercore intake.
#8 Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
emower419
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks for everyone's input. I have narrowed it down to the right front corner. That side seems to be affected most when running over bumps and such. It's a rainy day today so I won't be digging into it this weekend but I will update when I figure out what is wrong.
#9 Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM
emower419
SHIFT_Lurker

I did install new shocks a while back. There was some inital inprovement. But, After Driving a few thousand miles and over some rough ground, it's still there. The sway bar bushings looks shot. I'm going to do those next. Front tires are cupping on the inside. So I'm thinking alignment might be the other factor. I"m also going to be fixing up the rear suspension as it is very harsh also.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode