verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
verakot is on a distinguished road
Garage
Tire Repair

I noticed one of my tires is leaking air from 32 to 26 psi per day. Stopped by to a Discount Tire shop today. After waiting for an hour, they returned it back to me and said the issue is on the external side of the tire, and they cannot repair it.

Is this true the tire cannot be repaired if it is leaking are from the side?
Should I buy just one tire then? Any other solution?

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by verakot View Post
I noticed one of my tires is leaking air from 32 to 26 psi per day. Stopped by to a Discount Tire shop today. After waiting for an hour, they returned it back to me and said the issue is on the external side of the tire, and they cannot repair it.

Is this true the tire cannot be repaired if it is leaking are from the side?
Should I buy just one tire then? Any other solution?
From what I understand, a leak in the sidewall cannot be repaired.

As far as whether you should only replace the one tire, it really depends on how old your other tires are. If they have a few miles on them, then you should replace the other tire on the same axle. If it is almost new, then you could probably get away with the single replacement.

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#3 Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
From what I understand, a leak in the sidewall cannot be repaired.

As far as whether you should only replace the one tire, it really depends on how old your other tires are. If they have a few miles on them, then you should replace the other tire on the same axle. If it is almost new, then you could probably get away with the single replacement.
Yes, a leak is on the sidewall. I guess I have to replace all four since I got these Continental ContiTrac tires about 37K miles ago.

Any suggestions on the next tires? Good Year or Michelin? Looks like ContiTrac does not last much...

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.
#4 Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by verakot View Post
Yes, a leak is on the sidewall. I guess I have to replace all four since I got these Continental ContiTrac tires about 37K miles ago.

Any suggestions on the next tires? Good Year or Michelin? Looks like ContiTrac does not last much...
I replaced with Michelins, 1st time with Cross Terrains, this time with ATX M/S. Like them both, although the Cross Terrains only lasted about 45,000 miles. The OEM Conti's lasted less than 35,000. I've been buying my tires from America's Tire (affiliated with Discount Tire), prices are comparable to Tire Rack and Costco, and the ability to make an appointment in advance so you don't have to wait for hours for them to get to your car is a big plus for me. Plus, free flat repairs, rotation, re-balance for the life of the tires is a pretty nice benefit as well. Highly recommended, plus they are a sponsor for this forum.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#5 Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
drewcs
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
drewcs is on a distinguished road
I just bought Cooper ATP's from Discount and am very happy with them so far. Much quieter than my Bridgestone Duellers and I just drove up through a wicked snow storm to go boarding and they handled like a champ. $199 each was a great deal, I thought.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
#6 Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcs View Post
I just bought Cooper ATP's from Discount and am very happy with them so far. Much quieter than my Bridgestone Duellers and I just drove up through a wicked snow storm to go boarding and they handled like a champ. $199 each was a great deal, I thought.
Thanks guys! If you use those in Canada, should be fine for me in Minnesota
Just scheduled an appointment with DiscountTire - those Cooper ATP's are now $168 so I guess it is even a better deal. Never tried Cooper's - but I've heard about them a lot.
When you replaced the tires, did you replace the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) components? They offer a $30 TPMS Rebuild kit - it is worth to get it?

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Last edited by verakot; 12-11-2012 at 11:36 AM.
#7 Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
I'm running Cooper on the Armada and the Mini and have been happy with them so far. I do wish the mud tires were a bit stronger but I also do like the lightweight.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#8 Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
I'm running Cooper on the Armada and the Mini and have been happy with them so far. I do wish the mud tires were a bit stronger but I also do like the lightweight.
Bob, do you have the same model - Cooper Discoverer ATP? It's interesting that Cooper does not list them on their site coopertires.com. I am wondering why is that.

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.
#9 Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
steveg_nh is on a distinguished road
I just put Firestone Destination A/Ts on my 2008 last week. Only 1 week, but so far, I love them. They got outstanding reviews on Tirerack.

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
#10 Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
drewcs
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
drewcs is on a distinguished road
I did replace all 4 TPMS because one had just failed and being 6 years old they were pretty much at their end of life anyways. That new price of $168 (damn, I missed that!) will help offset the sting of the new tpms's. The rebuild kit is only the stems and seals. The actual tpms battery is non-serviceable.

The ATP's are exclusive to Discount Tire and look to be a modified AT3. Although the reviews for the AT3 was middle of the road I heard from a few people that were really happy with the ATP's. My first choice were the Zeon's but changed my mind last minute because of the price, tread wear and the fact that many said they throw up a lot of rocks due to the tread pattern. The Zeon's do look pretty nice on a rim but the ATP looks pretty good too.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads

Last edited by drewcs; 12-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode