#1 Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
steveg_nh is on a distinguished road
Yet another TPMS question

Read a bunch of TPMS threads, but still have a question...

Driving to work this morning, the TPMS light came on. I was on the highway, doing about 65. I just had all new tires put on last week, but everything worked fine for 1 week.

On the display, it's the third item with the issue. Since it's not labelled as to which wheel it is, looking at something I read, it says the display is FL, FR, RR, RL (odd, but found nothing saying otherwise). Can anyone confirm it reads the tires clockwise, vs say FL, FR, RL, RR?

Also, since the reading is just ** do you think the whole sensor is gone, or possibly just needs the rebuild kit? When I got the tires, the tire shop said they tend to not rebuild, as many times they are frozen and end up breaking. So if they work when they came in, they leave them alone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
Read a bunch of TPMS threads, but still have a question...

Driving to work this morning, the TPMS light came on. I was on the highway, doing about 65. I just had all new tires put on last week, but everything worked fine for 1 week.

On the display, it's the third item with the issue. Since it's not labelled as to which wheel it is, looking at something I read, it says the display is FL, FR, RR, RL (odd, but found nothing saying otherwise). Can anyone confirm it reads the tires clockwise, vs say FL, FR, RL, RR?

Also, since the reading is just ** do you think the whole sensor is gone, or possibly just needs the rebuild kit? When I got the tires, the tire shop said they tend to not rebuild, as many times they are frozen and end up breaking. So if they work when they came in, they leave them alone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
When the light came on, did it flash, or just come on steady? If it came on steady, then check your tire pressures, you likely have one that is low. If it flashes, then you have a bad sensor somewhere. The batteries in the sensor apparently go out after about six to seven years (not part of the rebuild they tried to sell you), which requires a new sensor.

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#3 Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

It did flash actually, for about 15 seconds, then it went solid.

Wonder if that would be covered under my Gold extended warranty then? Or if they consider that a "maintenance part". The truck is only a 2008. Sucks, cause I just had the tires mounted.

Do you know on the display, the order of the readings?

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
#4 Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
drewcs
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
drewcs is on a distinguished road
I know they flash the sensors clockwise starting FL. They should be able to tell you which one is not responding with the sensor tool.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 4300K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - R1Concepts Premium drilled/slotted w/posi ceramics front and back.
#5 Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Thanks. The tire dealer actually told me to swing in first. He said the tool to program will tell them if it's a programming issue (weird after all this time) or if the battery voltage is low and it needs to be replaced. Strange timing after getting new tires last week.

I wonder if a 4 year told TPMS sensor would be covered under the Gold+ extended warranty, or if they'll say it's a wear and tear item. Should have lasted longer than this.

#6 Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

So the tire shop says it tested fine. They reprogrammed it and the light is out. Seems fine. First time that's ever happened. Weird.

#7 Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Scratch that, sort of. So after they fixed it, I parked the truck for about an hr, and then drove it from where I was home. About a 2 mile drive from when they fixed it, a different sensor is now reading as dead (flashing). The one they fixed is fine. What the heck! Is the receiver in the truck having a problem? I'll have them reprogram this one and we'll see what happens, but anyone seen this type of behavior?

#8 Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
verakot is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
I do not think it is correct. I believer there is no particular order of measurements and display. I just had a tire that was leaking air, and it was RL that was displayed as the second item on the screen.

Since there is no particular order, the message suggests to check all tires since the order is not the same all the time.

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.
#9 Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Seriously? I thought I read otherwise. It's just random?

#10 Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
verakot is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Seriously? I thought I read otherwise. It's just random?
Unless then changes this in later versions (I have the first Armada'04). But if the display does not specify which tire, it is random - otherwise they would assign each measurement to a certain tire on the screen.

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode