How do I fix bouncing side to side problem? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
GoHuskers
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
How do I fix bouncing side to side problem?

I have a 2006 2WD with 124K miles. It has the self-leveling system in the rear. It's currently very bouncy especially when only one wheel hits an uneven surface. The whole vehicle bounces side to side.

I have two questions:
1) Will replacing all the shocks fix this problem?
2) Where do I find replacement air shocks? I searched and searched but can't seem to find anyone that sells these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 AM
drewcs
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
drewcs is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the club. The most common fix for this is shock replacements with Bilstein HD or 5100 series shocks - the 5100's are adjustable for height. I think many buy from Shock Warehouse and you will need shocks listed for the Titan. This will resolve most of the bump steer.

There is no aftermarket rear air shock that I know of but that is not part of the problem you're having. Most want to replace the rears for better handling in general or to resolve a leaking rear system. I would go with the front replacements first and see if you're happy with the result before looking at the rear setup.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
post #3 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
drauden
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
drauden is on a distinguished road
Garage
How much air pressure do you have in your tires? Over-inflated tires will do the same thing.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
drewcs
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
drewcs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drauden View Post
How much air pressure do you have in your tires? Over-inflated tires will do the same thing.
Drauden is right - I may have misunderstood your post. After reading Drauden's post I remember having similar issues with improper tire pressure when I first picked up the vehicle from the dealer. They had it 10lbs over-inflated and it was all over the road. I also noticed a firmer ride after getting new tires with stiffer sidewalls. I don't get blown aside when a truck passes anymore.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
If the shocks have never been replaced they're probably shot. The OEM Rear Air Shocks are not expensive, not anymore than buying aftermarket ones. I would suggeat also getting an alignment after changing the shocks, proper alignment is crucial to gaining a smooth ride in these.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
GoHuskers
SHIFT_Lurker

GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
My tires are about 37 or 38 PSI. I don't think the shocks have ever been replaced so I may take the suggestion of replacing the front shocks and see how that goes. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
rustymada
SHIFT_Lurker

rustymada is on a distinguished road
my shocks are too blown (rear) didnt know until i went to the dealership to get my key programmed and they did a full inspection and found leaky rear shock absorbors and loose sway links...i wanna take care of the rear sway links first cause it can and may be a safety issue...but as for the rear shocks what do you guys recommend...i found some kyb gr2 but only for the front...and cant seem to find any for the rears...whats best for the money and what best for performance and long lasting
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Monroe and Rancho make some specd for the Armada. I just finished installing Radflo from PRG Products. If you change from air shock to non airshock ou need to change the springs to non-tow springs to get the stiffer support required with non airshocks. I posted pics of the spring difference in my Rear Suspension Rebuild thread.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
rustymada
SHIFT_Lurker

rustymada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Monroe and Rancho make some specd for the Armada. I just finished installing Radflo from PRG Products. If you change from air shock to non airshock ou need to change the springs to non-tow springs to get the stiffer support required with non airshocks. I posted pics of the spring difference in my Rear Suspension Rebuild thread.

nice..thanks..mines a 04 se 4x4...and really dont want to lose the towing privilege..what you mean by switching to air shock to non air shock and replacing with non tow springs? will i not be able to tow no more if so? or will it just not support the heavy load and sink the rear end?

sorry stupid question but this is my first full size big *** car
post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
If you want AirShocks, OEM is the only way you'll get them.. Here, this thread will answer alot of your questions, Completely Black parts is OEM: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...t=23224&page=4

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode