Hazy026
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hazy026 is on a distinguished road
Question bad transmission on a 2013

Hello Everyone.

I am the proud owner of a brand new 2013 Armada! I've had it less than a month and today while driving my transmission blew...it stalled me right in the middle of the intersection turning left on a green light with oncoming traffic coming directly at me and it would continue to accelerate and stop up until I was able to get safely off the street and park. After parking I checked under the car and there was a large puddle of transmission fluid.
The dealership sent a tow truck and set me up in a free rental but does anyone know if I should be alarmed that I could see more mechanical issues if something as serious as this happens so soon off the lot?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM
KMDColo
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
KMDColo is on a distinguished road
Re: bad transmission on a 2013

If I had to guess, one of the transmission cooler lines came off, and all your fluid was pumped out in a few seconds. These transmissions are pretty solid, but there is a known issue with the cooler line clamps leaking. Normally doesn't happen on new vehicles, but most members have changed out the spring clamps for worm drive clamps.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

2007 LE, S&B CAI, 2* Timing Advance, BullyDog regular 91 tune. Bilstein HD, Garmin 1490T hardwired with Ecoroute HD.
#3 Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
gt-leo
SHIFT_Hardcore

gt-leo is on a distinguished road
receipts

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. I'd be pissed too if i spent my good earned money on something that gives your problems during the first month. But, like mentioned above its most likely the cooling lines. Hopefully there smart enough to give the transmission a good test because running it without atf for even one second will kill our transmission. If they dont replace your tranmission in about 6 months or maybe less you'll be back at Nissan for tranmission hardshift or slippage. Keep your receipts when they fix all these. Keep in mind if it happens 3 times for pretty much the exact same problem you can get it traded back for another new one. Google "Lemon Law" if you already don't know about it. Hopefully they get this right the first time.

I was able to get my 04 transmission warrantied during 2007-2008 time frame. It was from an internal leak in the radiator causing coolant to get into my transmission. Nissan Hooked me up with this one.
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Re: bad transmission on a 2013

Personally I would raise hell. I would now tell them to throw in the bumper to bumper warranty. The platinum service I think. The top one that they try to retail for around $7K. "$50K and this happen has left doubt in my head". Be dramatic. who knows what other damage it cause.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'04 LE
#5 Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Hazy026
SHIFT_Lurker

I'm told it was a pin hole in a line - which "pin hole" surprises me because there was about a gallon of fluid on the ground under my car. The dealership is offering me a choice of switching out the car or giving me that Platinum bumper to bumper warranty if I keep this vehicle. I'm wondering which is the smartest choice for me? I am leaning towards keeping the vehicle and getting that extra warranty but gt-leo's post makes me nervous - will I experience a headache of transmission issues down the line?
Does anyone have any advice?
#6 Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
spta97 is on a distinguished road
Seems like you have a good dealer who is willing to do the right thing (rare in my neck of the woods). Personally, unless I was attached to the car, I would take a replacement rather than a waranty. It's a bad way to start a long term relationship - like a girl on first date having a freak out or not reaching for the check or something

If you do keep it, I would make sure that they show you exactly what happened and make sure that ANY transmission problems will be covered for as long as possible. It might also be worth it to have an independant mechanic check it out.

I have not heard of a lot of tranny issues from this board at all other than the affore mentioned spring clamps but they are usually a slow leak - not a gallon at once.

Giggity
#7 Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Unless they are going to completely replace the transmission, versus trying to repair the one that "blew", I would also take a replacement vehicle. I'm encouraged to hear that your dealer is trying to make it right with you, by offering you this choice; most dealers would have just fixed it and sent you on your way. How about letting us know who the dealer is? Give them some positive press for doing the right thing, and also let the folks on this forum that live near where you do that this is a dealer that they can count on!!!

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#8 Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
gt-leo
SHIFT_Hardcore

gt-leo is on a distinguished road
Depends

Automatic transmission are very sensitive to dirt, and certain types of lubrication also lack of lubrication. I really doubt it was just a pin hole leak. I say this because you were barely able to move ur mada with only 4 quarts of ATF out of the trans. There are some people here that drove their armada and didn't notice that the ATF was leaking out until there was no ATF left and transmission had no pull. It don't take long for the 11 qts of ATF to come out these lines either. Some reported to fix the leak and fill transmission with only a week or 2 life left on transmission then needed a 4000 dollar overhaul. Of course on your case it'll be covered under warranty. Regular drivetrain warranty is 60k miles or 5 years.

I personally would go for the keeping the same vehicle and gaining the extended warranty. I say this because if they fix it now and the transmission craps anyway they have a couple try's to get it right. If the cant then they have no choice but to give you a new armada anyway. And since they gave you the extended warranty that will carry over to the new armada too. But of course there will be headache on your part giving the car back and forth to nissan. I guess it also depends if your willing to deal with all that.

I didn't mean to scare you with my last post. But auto transmissions are nothing to mess with. It's costly and very sensitive.
#9 Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
There's no question here, I would request a 100k mile GOLD Security Plus warranty AND a new Transmission. If they don't wanna do it then I'd request a 50% refund on the purchase since I didn't pay for a defected vehicle. Just my $.02

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#10 Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Hazy026
SHIFT_Lurker

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your knowledge and opinions, I haven't finalized my decision yet but it think I will keep the original car and take the offer of the additional warranty. It is a good idea that I give this dealership some good press and I will if I'm happy when this is all said and done.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode