Rainman1
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rainman1 is on a distinguished road
2008 Armada Issues

Hello all,

I have been looking around this forum for few days now and wish I had a couple of years ago when I first bought it.

I know pretty much all manufacturers suck these days trying to make things lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient, cheaper ect. I went with the Armada after years of giving most of my $ to Ford and Chevy hoping that Nissan just sucked less. No luck.

I purchased my Armada from a Nissan dealer with 28K miles...we were actually on our way to a Honda dealer when my wife spotted the Armada and loved it. We have now had it for 2 years and are very dissapointed.

1. As of right now we found out that we have a sludged engine. Nissan did not change the oil before we bought it as part of their 200 point inspection and the last oil change was at 19k miles that Nissan shows. It now has 59K miles and we only changed it a couple of times. As many of you have read in other posts this is not a new problem. Many people have had this same problem and also have been being turned away by Nissan whether you have maint. reciepts or not. Actually, the nissan extended warranty sucks as much as the truck. They say we need a new engine when it seems that the smoking problem usually fixed by replacing the valve covers and pcv valves which I am having a mechanic do tomorrow. Will let you know how it works.

2. Drivers side and rear passenger side armrests keep loosening up and falling off... Whats that about?

3. Driving on expressway at speed and hitting a bump makes you feel like you are going to loose control and get thrown off the road. WTF?

4. Unless you are a small child sitting in the 3rd row when you hit a bump you will bang your head on the roof. Very embarrassing when you dont go extra slow over speed bumps with company.

5. Whats that smell?? Most of the time you cant next to the car without smelling rotten eggs. No matter which gas we use.

6. Belt squeak when it rains...come on..really?

7. Very important. I know this is our responsibility but I hope that this alerts anyone with small kids. One day my wife called me and told me that while she was waiting in front of the school for them to open the doors a bunch of my daughters friends were standing on the seats waiving to eachother through the sunroofs. My daughter decided to do the same thing while my wife was on the phone. Somehow my daughter hit the close button and it started closing on her!! By some miracle my daughter hit it the right way to make it open again and was ok and just had a mark on her neck. Luckily my wife didnt see it happen and panic and hit it the wrong way. I think about it every time I see a sunroof and get a sick feeling. That sunroof has no safety if it hits something. If she didnt hit it she would not be here today. Be aware. You would think something that has an auto close would have a safety on it...like a garage door...guess its not it the budget

By the way, all of these things except smoking have happened since we bought it which we have been dealing with but this smoke thing and lack of support anyone has gotten from nissan with or without maint.records is what prompted me to post this. And after searching this forum I am looking forward to many other issues arising.

Good luck and please be sure to warn the little ones of the sunroof problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
1) You've had this truck for 40,000 miles, and you've only changed the oil "a couple of times"? Sounds like you've sludged it up, why are you blaming Nissan or the dealer for this?

2) Yep, not one of Nissan's finest here. Got to go and tighten them every once in a while.

3) New shocks will fix this. Recommend Bilsteins, you'll be amazed at the change.

4) The 3rd row seat in the Armada has way more head room than most SUVs, but it isn't really suitable for an adult. Bet it has way more room that the Pilot you were lamenting about!!

5) Not sure what that's about, mine hasn't done that. Doesn't smell any worse than any other car.

6) Tighten it. Better yet, probably time to change it, normal maintenance item at 60,000 miles (like an oil change).

7) Your sunroof, like any other car, has an anti-trap feature. It is required by law. If you don't believe it, while closing the sunroof using the auto close feature, reach up and try to stop the movement of the window. It should stop and reverse itself. If it doesn't then you need to get that looked at right away; you're correct, that is a safety feature.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#3 Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Rainman1
SHIFT_Lurker

Rainman1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
1) You've had this truck for 40,000 miles, and you've only changed the oil "a couple of times"? Sounds like you've sludged it up, why are you blaming Nissan or the dealer for this?
Acutally 30K miles. The selling nissan dealer did not change the oil after it was traded in and the last oil change they show was at 19K.Not Blaming anyone for my poor maintenance, from what I have read or heard they do not honor legit receipts for this sludge problem

2) Yep, not one of Nissan's finest here. Got to go and tighten them every once in a while.

3) New shocks will fix this. Recommend Bilsteins, you'll be amazed at the change.
Thats fine but I didnt buy a YUGO. Shouldnt they have installed quality shocks to begin with?

4) The 3rd row seat in the Armada has way more head room than most SUVs, but it isn't really suitable for an adult. Bet it has way more room that the Pilot you were lamenting about!!
Correct, I wanted the pilot. And yes the Armada does have more headroom which is a good thing because I probably would have been sued a couple of times for neck injuries going over speeds bumps more that 3 miles and hour. Its almost comical how the back bouces up on a slight bump.

5) Not sure what that's about, mine hasn't done that. Doesn't smell any worse than any other car.
Be happy, I actually have to shut the truck off sometimes because its soo bad.

6) Tighten it. Better yet, probably time to change it, normal maintenance item at 60,000 miles (like an oil change).
Yes, will be replaced tomorrow. It was noisy a week after I bought it. I sprayed some belt dressing on it and it was much better but it started up again.

7) Your sunroof, like any other car, has an anti-trap feature. It is required by law. If you don't believe it, while closing the sunroof using the auto close feature, reach up and try to stop the movement of the window. It should stop and reverse itself. If it doesn't then you need to get that looked at right away; you're correct, that is a safety feature.

I will check it out again but after it happened I put my arm up and pushed against both sides and it still kept closing.
Keith
Im not really bashing Nissan, just really hoped I was getting a higher quality vehicle all around. To me this should still be a new vehicle with 59K miles. Aside from the smoke which I will admit is probably my lack of maintenace. Its my wifes"shopping"vehicle...not a work truck or off road beach truck and if I would have know I would have stuck with ford or chevy. My personal work vehicle is a Honda Element which I put about 35K on a year and now has 145K runs perfectly with oil changes every 5-7K miles. I also tow a 1500lb compressor with it for two months out of the year. I just had a new caliper and suspension bushing installed. Other than that its perfect. This is how a truck should be at this day and age.
#4 Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Shocks - I've never owned a vehicle that had the OEM shocks last more than 60,000 miles, except for my current vehicle (BMW 550i), which still feels awesome at 62,000 miles. When I replaced the shocks on my Armada at about 50,000 miles, they were completely and totally shot; no rebound whatsoever. Bet the shocks on your Element are shot too, unless you've changed them. Normal maintenance in my book.

Belt - time to change it, normal maintenance again. Ditto for the Honda, if you haven't you're living on borrowed time.

Sunroof - pushing on the sides won't do anything. You need to push on the part that is moving. As soon as it feels resistance, it should stop and reverse itself.

- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
#5 Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM
mbender83
SHIFT_Enthusiast

mbender83 is on a distinguished road
Garage
first issue here is that you bought it used, so u really cant be sure what underlying issues were there from before. however u have put some miles on it and not of these issues seem unfixable.

as far as the sludge issue, regular oil changes should have addressed that and if need be call corporate...squeaky wheel gets the grease.

arm rest...lol...tighten em

shocks...i have an 08 with 76000 miles, my car drives fine and im going to be upgrading to the blisteins within the month myself, not cause i need to but more cause the many reviews ive read here about how great hey are.

i cant speak to the smell.

ive put adults in the third row for car trips without any complaints...and if they did complain....they could have driven themselves

the sunroof not to ignore ur concern should also be easily addressable by the dealer. the sunroof like the tailgate has a safety close feature.

you certainly have the the right to your opinion but i chose the armada over ford, gmc, chevy, hummer for numerous reasons that still hold up 6 years and 76000 miles later. good luck
#6 Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Re: 2008 Armada Issues

So after reading this thread from the OP, I am sorry to tell you guys that he is correct on the sunroof. There are NO safe guard on the sunroof. I just tested mine out also. I also went to the dealer and ask. They said there is NOT one. Cuz technically u shouldnt play out of it. This goes for the automatic roll up windows. They exist in other manufacturer not Nissan I said well isn't that a safety issue? He yeah but blah blah...I know he doesn't make the decisions so I just thanked him for his input.

Edit: I spoke to the guy in the service dept. FYI

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 01-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.
#7 Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
1. Why would you trust any dealer to change the oil? That's the first thing I've always done in addition to changing the Air Filter, In-Cabin Micro Filter, and the Spark Plugs. A couple times for oil change, really?? not even close to enough... My Mini Cooper is supposed to wait until 15k miles to change the oil, no friggin' way, it gets changed every 3k-5k miles just like all my other vehicles, sludge sucks and it's from either running a viscosity different than 5w-30 or from not changing it often enough.

2. Use Thread Locker or Teflon Tape, it's cheap.

3. Change all 4-shocks. Nissan uses Tokico shocks and they are JUNK. Monroe and Rancho makes direct replacements for all 4-corners as long as you don't tow over a 5500-lbs trailer. For the Big-Tow Package you need to either get new OEM shocks on the rear or get creative for replacing the Load-Leveling Shocks.

4. That's because your Rear Shocks are shot. Replace them.

5. Your Cats are burned out likely from not changing the engine oil enough. That Engine Sludge changed the composition of your Exhaust and burnt out the Cats.

6. Change the Serpentine Belt. Recommended every 60k miles on every single vehicle made, it Cost $12 and takes less than 15-mins to change. It's self tensioning so you don't need to worry about tightening anything.

7. No comment there. I've rarely owned a vehicle that wasn't with a Sunroof or Convertible and the first thing I told my kids when they were 3-years old was "It WILL chop your head off, you WILL lose your hand when it falls off onto the street" and at 18yrs old & 16yrs old now they've never stuck so much as a pinky finger through one.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#8 Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
So after reading this thread from the OP, I am sorry to tell you guys that he is correct on the sunroof. There are NO safe guard on the sunroof. I just tested mine out also. I also went to the dealer and ask. They said there is NOT one. Cuz technically u shouldnt play out of it. This goes for the automatic roll up windows. They exist in other manufacturer not Nissan I said well isn't that a safety issue? He yeah but blah blah...I know he doesn't make the decisions so I just thanked him for his input.

Yes there is... Close it and pull the fuse until they're old enough to know better. -lol ... j/k... But really, why the heck are you guys letting your kids stick body parts through the sunroof?? You'd be safer letting them walk on broken glass while barefoot. Nissan isn't the only one that auto-closes like that, alot of others do as well so that's a really, really bad habit to let slide.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-30-2013 at 04:16 PM.
#9 Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
08ArmadaSE
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
08ArmadaSE is on a distinguished road
2008 Armada Issues

Quote:

That's weird. I know my titan has the safety on the windows. Can't speak for the sunroof. I know this as i put the in channel vent visors on it and most of the time it would close them come right back down since there was something of resistance in the channel. I guess I've never tested it by using my arm and I might have to try it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Armada SE
No Mods as of yet. Wife doesnt want anything done to it but we will see.

2010 Titan Pro-4x:
Maganflow DISO muffler with JBA tip. Factory matched window tint. Tinted tailights, Debadged. Volant Powercore intake.
#10 Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:

I am really surprised at this, and in fact, tonight I'm going to check it, because I think your service advisor is wrong. I know my Maxima has this feature on the driver window, which is the only one with auto up on that car. I can't believe this isn't on the Armada as well; in fact, knowing our tendency for regulations to cover any possible injury condition, due to our legal environment, I'd be willing to bet there is a rule somewhere that mandates this.

Keith

--Paul Sweeney, author

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode