Rear Camber - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Sand_Warrior
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sand_Warrior is on a distinguished road
Rear Camber

I recently rotated my tires and noticed both rear wheels had excessive wear on the inside. I then did a visual on the camber and did a rough measure with a straight edge and angle finder on the wheel itself and found the angle to be approximately -1.4 degrees.

Anyone else have (had) this problem?

BTW...I have never had any alignment adjustment.

Also, is there any impact of the self-leveling shocks on camber. I noticed existing wheel well height to be at 35.4" where specs call for just over 36".

Wonder if the camber adjustment is covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Kevin (04 Armada LE)
Sand_Warrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-20-2006, 02:25 PM
92TripleBlack
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
92TripleBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
92TripleBlack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Warrior
I recently rotated my tires and noticed both rear wheels had excessive wear on the inside. I then did a visual on the camber and did a rough measure with a straight edge and angle finder on the wheel itself and found the angle to be approximately -1.4 degrees.

Anyone else have (had) this problem?

BTW...I have never had any alignment adjustment.

Also, is there any impact of the self-leveling shocks on camber. I noticed existing wheel well height to be at 35.4" where specs call for just over 36".

Wonder if the camber adjustment is covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Kevin (04 Armada LE)
Hi Kevin,
They should adjust that under warranty.The LE has the bigtow and airbag self leveling rear suspension. It sounds like it is out of alignment, which isn't caused by wear/etc. for example by hitting a pothole. Its a factory defect and they should fix it under warranty. They may even replace your tires if they wore prematurely due to this.
92TripleBlack is offline  
#3 Old 01-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Cillyone
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
Cillyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N. CAL, East Bay
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cillyone is on a distinguished road
How many miles? The inside edges of my rears were toast at 7k and Nissan replaced the rear tires and sent it out to a independent alignment shop as theirs was not capable of doing the alignment.

2004 Armada LE 4x4 Smoke - 1990 22RE 4Runner 4x4 - 2007 350Z Touring - 24' Toy hauler and 14' tandem utility trailer - Yanmar 1500D
Honda Foreman S, YZ250, WR426F, YZ426F, Montesa Cota 315R, SWEET BLUE ST1300! ***29 acres in the Sierras
Wife and 2 boys, 16 & 18 and a great dog!+++++++++Enjoy life, no one gets out ALIVE!+++++
Cillyone is offline  
#4 Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Sand_Warrior
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sand_Warrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillyone
How many miles? The inside edges of my rears were toast at 7k and Nissan replaced the rear tires and sent it out to a independent alignment shop as theirs was not capable of doing the alignment.
I've got 26500 on odometer right now. Did you have any rear height issue? I ask because the specs on alignment say to check vehicle height first before adjusting the camber. Mine was a 1/2 inch low in the rear. I rotated the rear air bag sensor counter-clockwise about 1/8" and it brought it up to within specs. Although, the dealer adjustment is done through the computer programming. What tires did you have on yours...I've got the Continentals.

Thanks....Kevin

2004 Armada LE
Sand_Warrior is offline  
#5 Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Cillyone
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
Cillyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N. CAL, East Bay
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cillyone is on a distinguished road
Conti's here too. Looked up the 04 rear wheel well height spec and it is 36.81" (935mm) +/- 0.39"(10mm) for the air suspension 4x4 and 36.02" (915mm) w/same tolerance for the air suspension 4x2. I did not measure it before dealer worked on it, but looked tonight and it is 36-7/8"

2004 Armada LE 4x4 Smoke - 1990 22RE 4Runner 4x4 - 2007 350Z Touring - 24' Toy hauler and 14' tandem utility trailer - Yanmar 1500D
Honda Foreman S, YZ250, WR426F, YZ426F, Montesa Cota 315R, SWEET BLUE ST1300! ***29 acres in the Sierras
Wife and 2 boys, 16 & 18 and a great dog!+++++++++Enjoy life, no one gets out ALIVE!+++++
Cillyone is offline  
#6 Old 01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Sand_Warrior
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sand_Warrior is on a distinguished road
Looks like your height is spot on!

What kind of toyhauler you pull?

2004 Armada LE
Sand_Warrior is offline  
#7 Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM
ChuckD
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ChuckD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Warrior
I recently rotated my tires and noticed both rear wheels had excessive wear on the inside. I then did a visual on the camber and did a rough measure with a straight edge and angle finder on the wheel itself and found the angle to be approximately -1.4 degrees.

Anyone else have (had) this problem?

BTW...I have never had any alignment adjustment.

Also, is there any impact of the self-leveling shocks on camber. I noticed existing wheel well height to be at 35.4" where specs call for just over 36".

Wonder if the camber adjustment is covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Kevin (04 Armada LE)

Camber by itself normally is not a tire killer.. It is the toe in or out associtated with camber that scrubs the tires prematurly. If your rear tires are at 0 total toe then you most likley would not see the inside tire wear.

Thing is that increased toe can add grip under cornering plus high speed stability. So running 0 toe is not necessarily desireable.

If your ride heights changed beyond spec then your camber and more importantly toe could be off out of spec too.

I think most manufactuerers provide one warranty alignment within the first few months or however many miles.
ChuckD is offline  
#8 Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Sand_Warrior
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sand_Warrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Camber by itself normally is not a tire killer.. It is the toe in or out associtated with camber that scrubs the tires prematurly. If your rear tires are at 0 total toe then you most likley would not see the inside tire wear.

Thing is that increased toe can add grip under cornering plus high speed stability. So running 0 toe is not necessarily desireable.

If your ride heights changed beyond spec then your camber and more importantly toe could be off out of spec too.

I think most manufactuerers provide one warranty alignment within the first few months or however many miles.
The inside edges were worn with no scalloping or feathering...just smooth wear. Same goes for the outside edges so I dont think the toe is out of spec.
Here's the specs for camber on the 2004 with air leveling:
Minimum: 0.0 degrees
Nominal: -0.5 degrees
Maximum:-1.0 degrees
The angle is definitely visible by eye from the front and especially looking at it from the rear. Hopefully it is the toe...which might explain why I had a drop of 1 mpg in the last 3 months!

2004 Armada LE
Sand_Warrior is offline  
#9 Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
ChuckD
SHIFT_Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ChuckD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Warrior
The inside edges were worn with no scalloping or feathering...just smooth wear. Same goes for the outside edges so I dont think the toe is out of spec.
Here's the specs for camber on the 2004 with air leveling:
Minimum: 0.0 degrees
Nominal: -0.5 degrees
Maximum:-1.0 degrees
The angle is definitely visible by eye from the front and especially looking at it from the rear. Hopefully it is the toe...which might explain why I had a drop of 1 mpg in the last 3 months!
With my toy/weekend/track car I run about -2degrees of camber in the rear and 3/32nds toe in. It wears the inside half of my street tires tread about 3/8s inch faster than the outside half. It sure does stick good though! I get no scalloping or feathering either.

Being a 32nd or 16th out of range is not alot and will wear the tires prematurly and quite possibly not show really bad symtoms other than accelerated wear.
ChuckD is offline  
#10 Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Cillyone
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
Cillyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N. CAL, East Bay
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cillyone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Warrior
Looks like your height is spot on!

What kind of toyhauler you pull?
I have a 2003 Rage'n 2124c LX. Pretty nice unit after I gutted the lame OEM charging system and put in the 45 amp IOTA, now when the generator runs the batteries see some real action instead of only 3 lousy amps. Good fit and finish and built like a tank (I-beam frame rails) and love the smooth sides for easier maintenance. We keep it at our property most of the time when we are not towing it so it doubles as a cabin a good part of the year.

How about yourself, what are you towing and how do you like it?

2004 Armada LE 4x4 Smoke - 1990 22RE 4Runner 4x4 - 2007 350Z Touring - 24' Toy hauler and 14' tandem utility trailer - Yanmar 1500D
Honda Foreman S, YZ250, WR426F, YZ426F, Montesa Cota 315R, SWEET BLUE ST1300! ***29 acres in the Sierras
Wife and 2 boys, 16 & 18 and a great dog!+++++++++Enjoy life, no one gets out ALIVE!+++++
Cillyone is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off