#1 Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
stretch
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stretch is on a distinguished road
Transmission not engaging

I did a search for this and didnt find any info.
I am having problems when I put the Mada in drive, it just revs up and bairly moves foreward. It has happend several times this week, but it also happend last year while driving through the desert during the summer. (not towing anything). This time, I was on a boat launch, pulling out my Jet Ski, so the SUV sat all day in the heat, it would not engage again. Wife had same problem once leaving the house. Lastly it happend on my way back from vacation, only driving for about 30 minutes, stopped to get gas, then I couldn't get it to go. I did have a trailer on it this time (3700 lbs), If i sit and wait, or try several times, it works. Once it works it has NO slipping what so ever, still great power. Finally saturday I dropped of the rental trailer, and pulled around waiting for the wife, once she got in, same thing. We waited for 20 minutes, then were able to go. I took it into the dealer, they are "still testing", but cannot duplicate the problem. Advisor said they are checking the database to see if this has happend to other Armada's. Anyone ever experience this in the past? ALso, sometimes the little squirkle around the P,R,D, 4, 3, ETC... disappears, and the SES light comes on. Oh, the AT CHECK light blinked 8 times as well several times as I was sitting in 109 degree weather.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 AM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
#3 Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM
stretch
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakSpyda
I sympathize with you. Damn! You need to take it to the dealer for this one!
Ya, I am pretty bummed out right now, although its still under warrenty, I just want it fixed. Its going on day 2, as they are "still testing", hopefully today they resolve the issue.
I searched Clubtitan, and didnt really find anything like what the Mada is doing. I am thinking it has something to do with the heat, but not too sure. Does the tranny have some sort of fail safe mode? Its almost like its in neutral, but I bairly creep foreward.

2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250X Offshore Race Ski, 2005 Kawasaki STX-15F
www.pwcoffshore.com
#4 Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch
Ya, I am pretty bummed out right now, although its still under warrenty, I just want it fixed. Its going on day 2, as they are "still testing", hopefully today they resolve the issue.
I searched Clubtitan, and didnt really find anything like what the Mada is doing. I am thinking it has something to do with the heat, but not too sure. Does the tranny have some sort of fail safe mode? Its almost like its in neutral, but I bairly creep foreward.
Not sure. There is a cooling mechanism, but that shouldn't casue a disengage... at least I don't think so!
#5 Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
scr38
SHIFT_Administrator

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
scr38 will become famous soon enough
The attachment will list possible problems. In any case you need to have the dealer correct it, with the exception of the fluid level. You can check that yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans Slip.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2607  
#6 Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM
ginune16
SHIFT_Newbie

ginune16 is on a distinguished road
It seems as though my Armada is doing the same thing, we just purchased it with 36k on it and had another brand new tranny put in it at the dealership (another story), and on the way back from texas to virginia my dad experiance exactly what you described. One dealership he stopped by on the way seems to think it has to do with water dripping onto some wires and messing up a computer that controls the transmission. But it was during the heat of the day that he experianced this and i find it an interesting coinsidence. He was on the highway going about 70 all 3 times. I have had it all day today and it runs perfectly. Took it to the dealer in virginia soon as I got it but they claim it is out of warranty (even though i just got a new transmission in it under warranty last week). Please keep me updated if you find out anything, I am afraid that this might happen while im on the highway and unable to pull over or something like that. Thanks.
#7 Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
stretch
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginune16
It seems as though my Armada is doing the same thing, we just purchased it with 36k on it and had another brand new tranny put in it at the dealership (another story), and on the way back from texas to virginia my dad experiance exactly what you described. One dealership he stopped by on the way seems to think it has to do with water dripping onto some wires and messing up a computer that controls the transmission. But it was during the heat of the day that he experianced this and i find it an interesting coinsidence. He was on the highway going about 70 all 3 times. I have had it all day today and it runs perfectly. Took it to the dealer in virginia soon as I got it but they claim it is out of warranty (even though i just got a new transmission in it under warranty last week). Please keep me updated if you find out anything, I am afraid that this might happen while im on the highway and unable to pull over or something like that. Thanks.
Well, I got my armada back last week, they said the fixed the problem. Apparentely the problem had to do something with the communication lines ( whatever that means) but what they said they did was clean the comm. lines, and the ground lines. Again, that is foriegn to me. Since then, I have been driving it like crazy, as my commuter car went out of commission. But I have not had any problems yet. I thought the problem had to do with the heat, but it has been hotter than hell in my part of the country, and have yet to have the problem again. I will post the codes that they pulled from the OBD II at a later time.

ginune16, I am not sure if we are having the same problem. My mada was not engaging from park to drive. Once it decided to work, I would not slip gears at all during regular driving, you might have a different issue.

www.pwcoffshore.com
#8 Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
stretch
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch
Well, I got my armada back last week, they said the fixed the problem. Apparentely the problem had to do something with the communication lines ( whatever that means) but what they said they did was clean the comm. lines, and the ground lines. Again, that is foriegn to me. Since then, I have been driving it like crazy, as my commuter car went out of commission. But I have not had any problems yet. I thought the problem had to do with the heat, but it has been hotter than hell in my part of the country, and have yet to have the problem again. I will post the codes that they pulled from the OBD II at a later time.

ginune16, I am not sure if we are having the same problem. My mada was not engaging from park to drive. Once it decided to work, I would not slip gears at all during regular driving, you might have a different issue.
F-ING ARMADA. Now its starting to piss me off. I spoke too soon. I got home from work, went to leave again, and the same problem....I started enging, and the circle around the gears on the display was gone. so instantly my SES light comes on. I pull out of driveway (reverse works just fine), put it in drive and the engine just revs up. DAMMITTTT. I have a feeling it HAS to do with the HEAT. that is the common factor. It was 107* and I was driving for about 45 minutes from work. I left shortly after I got home (well tried to leave). SO, we took wifes car, and when I returned home, I tried the MADA, and what do you know it works. Got to work just fine today as well. I am convinced it has to do with the heat. EVERYTIME it has happend, it has been HOT. I am going to take it to another stealer to see if they can fix it. its the 3rd time. I might start looking at some Lemon laws. Get the POS turned back in if they cant fix it, its redicilous. I can live with rattles, but not this.

www.pwcoffshore.com
#9 Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Armada_24s
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Armada_24s is on a distinguished road
I am having a simiular problem with my Mada. Mostly when its cold, when I hit a stop sting after driving not a block or two and get back on the gas it revs up then slips then engages. Feels exactly like when you but it in neutral and rev it up then slam it into gear. Any one else have this problem and what was it.

Not lowered anymore just need a new picture I know.
PRG mini lift
*FOR SALE*KMC black Rockstars 20x8.5
305/55 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers *FOR SALE*

#10 Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Cillyone
SHIFT_Hardcore

Cillyone is on a distinguished road
This is the first I've heard of any real tranny problems with the Armada. What model year are your Armadas? Tow package option? Were they all purchased used? It almost sounds like a computer control problem/sensor or electrical connection rather than mechanical.

After looking at the trouble shooting chart;

Does it slip when you try any gear or just Drive?

2004 Armada LE 4x4 Smoke - 1990 22RE 4Runner 4x4 - 2007 350Z Touring - 24' Toy hauler and 14' tandem utility trailer - Yanmar 1500D
Honda Foreman S, YZ250, WR426F, YZ426F, Montesa Cota 315R, SWEET BLUE ST1300! ***29 acres in the Sierras
Wife and 2 boys, 16 & 18 and a great dog!+++++++++Enjoy life, no one gets out ALIVE!+++++

Last edited by Cillyone; 01-02-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode